68 Ducati 250 SSS minus an S

innovativems said:
Love these little Ducati’s. What’s the miles per boxes of pasta on that guy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It only had 900 ish

Texasstar said:
Not real enthused about the Super Pratic B throttle design.

I'm right there with ya on that. I bought an NOS part a few years back. Took it apart and cleaned/lubed everything but it never did get to the point I thought it would work very well. Ended up buying a modern throttle instead. Won't impress the purists but it should work better. Well, should work better if I ever finish the bike. Neither one seems to sit on the shelf any better than the other...

DesmoDog said:
I'm right there with ya on that. I bought an NOS part a few years back. Took it apart and cleaned/lubed everything but it never did get to the point I thought it would work very well. Ended up buying a modern throttle instead. Won't impress the purists but it should work better. Well, should work better if I ever finish the bike. Neither one seems to sit on the shelf any better than the other...

We have 3 of them! Lol! Zeke stripped the little screw that holds the cover so now 2. The irony is the original one still on the original Scrambler bars works great! So I am going to save it if this ever needs to go back to being a Scrambler. Most of the purists I have met all cuss at this throttle. frustrato!!! Or Italian cruise control!

DesmoDog said:
On another note. Concerning the rear shocks...what was the stock length, spring rate, was Ducati the manufacturer?

Curious George here. Is there a reason why Ducati used two pieces of glass in their vintage speedometers? So you are NOT suppose to create a water tight seal for most speedometers because they need to breathe and not build up condensation. However, Ducati used glazing putty to seal the bezel to the first glass. Then placed a paper gasket between the next piece of glass. So the first seal was water tight but was the second one? Did they ever build up condensation between the two pieces of glass? Is there a better solution? Putty dries out and you can see the results. Why didn’t they use an o-ring? https://instagram.com/p/Beu5htmBZSU/

Ducati doesn't manufacture anything. They assemble engines, and assemble parts into motorcycles, but pretty much all the parts are bought from suppliers. I forget who built the shocks back in the day.

The only speedo I took apart used one piece of glass

DesmoDog said:
Ducati doesn't manufacture anything. They assemble engines, and assemble parts into motorcycles, but pretty much all the parts are bought from suppliers. I forget who built the shocks back in the day.

The only speedo I took apart used one piece of glass
Parilla must have used the same suppliers also. That may explain why we are seeing similar parts on our Parilla. The clutch arms on the engines look the same...Tanks looked similar on some of the earlier models. Thank you.

So we discovered you can use DC current on an AC coil http://www.ecmweb.com/content/using-ac-coils-dc-power
02eeaa46dd915940ef30759dc4dd8f4f.jpg

Wondering if Ducati used the same coil for both Ac/Dc to stay back in black?

First start Ducati 250 https://youtu.be/RhHE1RqaOOU

Originally our Ducati 250 widecase ran off the mag with an Ac coil. The lights were controlled by the battery and there was only one diode in the system and no half Wave rectifier like the other Ducati 6v systems???Apparently the new coil we found with the stash of parts IS a DC coil. Is this system effectively a 3 phase 6v system? We want to run a 12v LED headlight. How would you get there with this system? I have read about disconnecting the grounds on the stator am wiring them in series to get there and also read a LONG treatise on why not to do that and just disconnect the grounds and bring them out of the stator to rectify individually??? I will post more pictures

Here are the wire colors coming out of the case. I don’t know if this is a common conversion to change colors to match up the connecting wires on the diagram...geeze and I thought the Honda’s were confusing.
ebfc54efd0ec78f77aaba7c2f7b20168.jpg

Is this the derivation terminal block with the diode at the top?
d1ee6c893589dfa6c3581fdde6b06277.jpg
45b9e40145b9d1c9744eb2ea67e4b197.jpg

Texasstar said:
Here are the wire colors coming out of the case. I don’t know if this is a common conversion to change colors to match up the connecting wires on the diagram...

To me that looks like a typical replacement for the original wires that were likely trashed years ago. I doubt it had anything to do with trying to match colors, that's just what was available in that type of wire.

Texasstar said:
Is this the derivation terminal block with the diode at the top?

I don't know what a derivation terminal block is, but that's not a diode it's a fuse.

b5d64868f91eb6df46eb4f0004b4f385.png
white wire Ac voltage of the mag is 21.4 ACV for the 68 Ducati 250 Scrambler

Back
Top Bottom