Suzuki GSX400 Four Cafe racer with USD fork and monoshock

Helicoil is not a nad stuff. A freind od mine works on military and they use it if a bolt is located in harsh environment.

Wysłane z tostera

bikeWillem said:
Thanks Dude, I still the handling will be fine. Still have to check it all, but I might have some options just in case.

Probably need a weaker spring anyway. But I know that the chain clears the swingarm, will put a small piece of POM (the white plastic stuff) as a chain guide just in case. Thanks for the advice!

More sad news, the oil plug is leaking. Going to look for a secondhand sump. If I can't find a proper one I need to put a helicoil in. :(

The white plastic is called Delrin and thats a good idea. Im planning on doing the same just for safety sake.. I would hate for the chain to munch into fresh powder coat :-X

Ah okay, here in Holland it's called POMI used it on the electric racing bike a worked on as well. To protect the 2.5mm alu plate box swingarm of only 3.1 kg

But ruining the powdercoat or the chain would both be bad!

I am going to visit the guy who does the welding for me again tomorrow. We will make a license plate mount and weld some of the missing brackets for the lights and stuff.

Sent from my E5823 using DO THE TON mobile app

Got a couple of small things done last weekend.

Fabricated a license plate bracket and also mounted the taillight- and headlight bracket I already made earlier:

Ht6Bacm.jpg

X19rpPX.jpg

F64jKUx.jpg

Have to tidy everything up in the end of course but for now it's fine.

Overall pic of how she looks at the moment:

J3qZhnX.jpg

0AhS8WD.jpg

Next weekend I'll be modeling the seat!

If I'm not mistaken Delrin is a product name and POM is the acronym for the chemical composition. POM can vary depending on what you add to the mix. There is self lubricating POM, POM with more cold resistance etc. But basically stuff, different name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As promised I started modeling the foam for the seat plug yesterday.

First step was cutting up the plate of foam I bought and gluing the layers together to get some height.

chyGJwP.jpg

Second step was getting the bottom layer in the shape of the subframe. After that I started with cutting the seat into a rough shape. Last step was sanding everything till I had the shape I wanted. The end result is not what I initially planned the the expanding foam but I think it suits the lines of the bike and I am really satisfied after all.

v4EYJRJ.jpg

Y5Pq1Xz.jpg

As the bigger pieces are starting to come along I am thinking about the colours for the bike. Thoughts for now: main colour will be white combined with some red accents/patterns. Frame satin black, engine block black/anthracite grey with maybe some polished parts, black rims, brown leather seat, black anodised aluminium parts, bare stainless exhaust system. One of the things I am still thinking about is what colour the front fork needs to be, suggestions are always welcome. :)

p.s. If someone can find this headlight for me for less than 100euro total including shipping to the Netherlands, you will be my hero. ;)

bikeWillem said:
Progress of last Saturday:

The plan was to make a seatpan, so that's done. :D

DSC_0090_zpsuckze03w.jpg

Used some welding nuts for easy alignment.
I guess they will stay in place :p :

DSC_0091_zpsx1fgeyzd.jpg

The plan is to mount the regulator/rectifier and ignitor underneath the seatpan. Combined with a mounting point for the taillight bracket.

I also started with the bracket for the indicators and taillight. I like the indicators but not sure if they are the right size for the narrow bike. But I can easily swap them for smaller ones.

DSC_0092_zpsfhkumou6.jpg

DSC_0093_zpsv9qncjfe.jpg

Also cleaned up the garage, my parents were getting annoyed by the mess. ;D
Immediately gave me the opportunity to make a useful thing for the electrical wires.

DSC_0094_zpss0qmd4pt.jpg

DSC_0096_zpsryct4sdt.jpg

Where did you find that taillight?

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Here you go:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-28-LED-Motorcycle-ATV-Dirt-Bike-Brake-Stop-Running-Tail-Light-Universal-/272393402521?hash=item3f6be97899:g:sxAAAOSwTA9X66N1&vxp=mtr

This one is the same as a have. ;)

bikeWillem said:
Here you go:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-28-LED-Motorcycle-ATV-Dirt-Bike-Brake-Stop-Running-Tail-Light-Universal-/272393402521?hash=item3f6be97899:g:sxAAAOSwTA9X66N1&vxp=mtr

This one is the same as a have. ;)

Awesome! Did you fabricate the bracket for the taillight/turn signals yourself?

Great job on this build by the way! It's looking incredible

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Forgot to post an update last time I worked on the bike.

The plug for the seat is ready for it's first epoxy. I want to do this because of the filling/smoothing out I want to do, in order to get the plug to be perfect and thus also a bigger change to get a perfect product.

I've put the clipons in the lathe to get rid of the ugly damaged edge and to drill out the m6 thread and made it into m8 thread, now the mirrors bolt onto clipons directly.

JNFHk7D.jpg

Put on the grips.

rQ9ZDDP.jpg

AByRnHK.jpg

e7zzaUa.jpg

Fabricated some stuff. Undertray for the subframe to keep the wires from hanging out and away from dirt.

62cizAy.jpg

jBfJzIi.jpg

The side stand was too short, so I extended it by 4cm.

DcIroF6.jpg

Measured out the location for the rearsets and tacked them in place.

y0GLUXV.jpg

SphPJCq.jpg

Soon as I get the tank back, I can give the positions a final check.

Also contacted my welder to set an appointment for the fabrication of the exhaust. That's going to happen beginning of april. He is also gonna move the bottom mount of the rear shock to make the front fork a bit less steep.

Lathed some more parts yesterday.

msnNyVX.jpg

Waiting for these two dies for rethreading the swingarm pivot axle and a left handed m6 die for the shifter rod.

UAc8usw.png

Some pics I like to share with you guys: (the frame and swingarm I designed last year -> 8,5 kg for the frame and 3.1kg for the swingarm, fabricated by Wimoto, a great dutch custom bike builder.)

1hPppc9.jpg

bz5LCFy.jpg

Busy with studying a lot last weeks so, didn't do much on the project myself.

Designed a custom aluminium rear sprocket to match the original number of teeth of the Suzuki and the mounting pattern of the Honda. Had it CNC milled:

UYPaos4.jpg

X9gVJ0u.jpg

fw8DJ5a.jpg

Had some company make me these stainless steel exhaust flanges:

bhKsMbt.jpg

Some free stainless steel tubes I got:

vE7kxee.jpg

Drop the bike of at the local welder/fabricator a couple of weeks ago. He turned the tubes into this:

4RqtRU5.jpg

S3r2lQ8.jpg

Very very pleased with the result :D
Also the front wheel isn't getting intimate with the headers any more when fully compressed.

Hope to have another update next weekend. ;)

For now I will keep this one, but I was already thinking about having the guy make me a custom stainless muffler as well. Probably will do that in a few months

Changed the rear shock bottom mount, now the stance is a lot better. With the new exhaust there's also enough clearance with the front wheel :)

Attachments

• DSC_0224.JPG
    DSC_0224.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 412
  • DSC_0223.JPG
    DSC_0223.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 419
Back
Top Bottom