'78 CB 400ti starts on starting fluid but no gas.

wetwilllie

I bought a CB400ti that had some bad gas in it. The tank has been cleaned and so have the carbs. I have also rebuilt both carbs but they have the stock needles in them. I can only get it to run on starting fluid. The bike fires first kick and idles until the fluid is gone. gas is getting to the carbs and the bowls are full. the floats didn't leak.

Any suggestions?

Sounds like they may still be plugged up. Pull the jets and make sure you can see daylight through all of the holes. The high E string on a guitar makes an excellent cleaning tool, if needed.

just a side note... you should NEVER use starting fluid on alum blocks... (bike motors) the ethanol burns way to hot and can damage rings

yes! stop using "starting fluid"! shoot in gas, or use this:

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/9086/10h/origin-d4.scene7.com/is/image/GanderMountainOvertons/70675_L1?$product$

anything but ether

its a little-known secret that this stuff works great as a preservative and starting fluid.

Clean out those carbs completely or it they will keep coming back to bite you

Thanks for the input all. I can see through all of them now but, I will give them another clean. Anyone have any leads on where I can get a more complete rebuild kit (diaphragms, etc..) The few I've found and the one I bought were just o-rings and a new needle.

JRK5892 said:
just a side note... you should NEVER use starting fluid on alum blocks... (bike motors) the ethanol burns way to hot and can damage rings

I've not heard this one before? My understanding is that most aluminum blocked engines are still steel sleeved. Furthermore, aluminum is a better material for transfer of heat than the ferrous options. Any place I can look at this in closer detail?

Back
Top Bottom