1972 Nopar Volksrod Hellride

The Growth
After the car launches, inertia grows the tire to as much as 38 inches in diameter, simultaneously lengthening and narrowing the contact patch. This effectively lets the final-drive ratio grow taller for higher speeds and reduces rolling resistance as the vehicle hits terminal velocity.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a26089565/drag-racing-tires-explainer/

That's all stuff I knew. I have experience drag racing Bugs in the 80s. What I didn't know is how barely DOT the street drag tires are and how easily they would cut going through any reasonable curve. LOL. Chalk it up to lessons learned. I'm sort of famous among friends for being the one to learn through break-downs, empty fuel tanks and accidents.

irk miller said:
That's all stuff I knew. I have experience drag racing Bugs in the 80s. What I didn't know is how barely DOT the street drag tires are and how easily they would cut going through any reasonable curve. LOL. Chalk it up to lessons learned. I'm sort of famous among friends for being the one to learn through break-downs, empty fuel tanks and accidents.

Cool, those Bugs could be made to be pretty quick.

I ran Hoosiers on my daily driver street/drag 65 Ford F100. Like you, lesson learned.
They were DOT approved, but not really street legal. Something cut the sidewall on the driver's side and there I sat. This was just before cell phones were available and of course I had no spare in a race truck. I waited quite a while before someone came along and offered help. I didn't have a towing policy and the tow to the tire dealer cost the same as the set of tires.

Rider52 said:
I ran Hoosiers on my daily driver street/drag 65 Ford F100. Like you, lesson learned.
They were DOT approved, but not really street legal. Something cut the sidewall on the driver's side and there I sat. This was just before cell phones were available and of course I had no spare in a race truck. I waited quite a while before someone came along and offered help. I didn't have a towing policy and the tow to the tire dealer cost the same as the set of tires.
Dang, man. That sucks. Fortunately, I have side road assistance on everything. It's only the second time I've ever had to use it (the first being when a semi truck tire carcass went through the radiator of my wife's Scion), but it's amazing when you need it. My neighbor has a car tow, so I can always call him, but side road assistance is free, and doesn't include my neighbor giving me shit the whole way home. HAHA

Messing with my GoPro while it sits on jack stands waiting for the tires to arrive.

https://youtu.be/39jL-tQxNhU

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Attachments

• IMG_3321.JPG
    IMG_3321.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 239
irk miller said:
Messing with my GoPro while it sits on jack stands waiting for the tires to arrive.

https://youtu.be/39jL-tQxNhU

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
Jimbonaut said:
Got a vid of it running Irk? I'd love to hear the engine...
#matchmaker

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom