And then there were two.. 1976 GT250 Rebuild

grcamna5 said:
I bought a few gallons of white vinegar and filled my fuel tank to the top w/ 100% vinegar for 18+ hrs.,then rinsed out the tank real good & after that I flushed it out w/ a gallon of denatured alcohol to dry it up and keep it from flash rusting while it's drying,you'll have a fresh tank inside after that. ;)

Awesome, Ill give that a try man! Did you flush it out with water after the vinegar?

A little later, but cool add

30984101511421048092261.jpg

That is a neat ad! It is actually a bit earlier than mine. That has the ram air heads which they did away with for 76 and 77 and after 77 they went to the x7 250?? I believe. Mine is a 76 going on the frame of a 75. The air cooled triples (380 and 550) kept the ram air heads for the duration of their production.

hurco550 said:
Awesome, Ill give that a try man! Did you flush it out with water after the vinegar?

Yes,the next step after draining all the dirty vinegar(which has all the rust,etc. from your tank in it)is to completely flush the tank w/ lukewarm water(I did mine in the bathtub over the Winter...no wife :eek: :D ) a few times before you 'dry' it w/ the denatured alcohol.I also helped it to dry w/ the hose installed on the output of my electrolux vac.
I put the denatured alcohol in As Fast & Quickly as i could after I removed all the rinse water and then quickly swished that gallon around completely in there and drained all that out.
I then started up the vacuum in 'blower' mode and blew high volume air from the vac.(it does warm up too after the vacuum motor gets warm ;) )into it mostly from the top,and also a little from the bottom tap hole. I liked the clean result ! ;)

Thanks for that writeup Gracmna5, I will be giving that a try soon!

The original frame is getting less and less parts on it =)
5527465dfdf44f793b2313b951d79e01.jpg

I am getting sold more and more on this aluminum foil and water polishing.
Back of chain guard
Before:
4872e819101d575891b306453fb3da04.jpg

And after:
b7305659a8f94180048ba99724e3d028.jpg

That little beast sure has a narrow frame. Are you finding any surprises so far or has everything been a straightforward swap out?

Yeah its a small bike really. Everything is swapping well so far. There is one mounting tab on the old frame that isn't on this one. Don't know what it's for yet, but I'm sure I'll find out haha

Looks like I will have to weld a mounting bracket on the 75 frame to use the 76 box

Better be safe and use 3/8".. don't want it to flex.... ;)

hurco550 said:
Better be safe and use 3/8".. don't want it to flex.... ;)

Plunge cut the frame on both sides with a die grinder, run a chunk of bar stock through and weld both sides... then you can stand on the tank to clean the gutters on the garage. :eek:

Airbox mounts can be made out of 20 gauge. I'm a lazy bugger so I tend to cut brackets off old frames and keep them for projects like that. If really necessary they can be made from a sheet of steel and weld a nut on if required.

Suzuki tend to rubber mount the airboxes and those brackets are usually just drilled for the grommet and spacer. No too hard to fabricate something.

Looking good BTW.

I do the same Teazer, a box of tabs some with fasteners and some with grommets both round and slotted just for future use, even save some odd bends off frames and long straight chunks for sure.

teazer said:
Airbox mounts can be made out of 20 gauge. I'm a lazy bugger so I tend to cut brackets off old frames and keep them for projects like that. If really necessary they can be made from a sheet of steel and weld a nut on if required.

Suzuki tend to rubber mount the airboxes and those brackets are usually just drilled for the grommet and spacer. No too hard to fabricate something.

Looking good BTW.

I will just end up making a new one. I know its overdoing it but 5 min on auto cad and send the file over to dad and he can have it water jet cut =) or just mark it out and a bandsaw depending on how motivated I am haha =) Ill use the original gromets and be good to go! I may have over built the engine stand, but will use original thickness (or close to it) for the mount.

Thanks for the kind words!

hurco550 said:
I will just end up making a new one. I know its overdoing it but 5 min on auto cad and send the file over to dad and he can have it water jet cut =)

I hate you already. I use Cardboard Aided Design work and use an angle grinder for steel surgery

....... I may have over built the engine stand, but will use original thickness (or close to it) for the mount.
But it's strong and bolts up to the engine hoist, so that's good. I make mine out of hardware store steel or aluminum and they are strong enough for what they are designed to do, but mine don't have to stand teh bending stress that a hoist creates. Mine sit on the bench and for that, aluminum is adequate.

Tune-A-Fish said:
Not overbuilt, its a fine use of materials on hand, I would do the same and why I nominated it!

That is true. I appreciate that btw.. Never heard much outta it though, besides Bradj's pipes on there, which are pretty sweet

Back
Top Bottom