12 year old kid starts street tracker build!

tv321406 said:
that seat is killer! you going to polish it? if so, are you making an aluminum tank to go with it?

are you keeping the factory mufflers? i need a pair of those big muffler nuts if you dont ;D

Thanks for the compliments guys. My son wants to paint the bike, so we won't be polishing the seat. He likes the factory tank so were using that as well. Haven't made any final decisions on color yet.

The exhaust was trashed on this bike. The muffler nuts were so rusted on, that we twisted the outer skins on the muffler body apart trying break them lose. The spanner wrench I had wouldn't fit into the notches, so we used a pipe wrench to try brake them lose. That's when they started peeling the muffler body apart. We cut the mufflers off with a saws all and pitched the whole system. All we saved from off it were the cast oval inserts that fit the cylinder head ports.

Nope, he hasn't quit! Dad has just been slacking on downloading the pics of what he has got done. Been busy with the holdiay shopping, and customer bikes. :D

congrats on the work so far, most excellent. I will be starting a 50cc dirtbike project with my 7 year old as soon as we get a new permanent address. he already told me after meeting a bunch of DTT members that we will be posting his thread here and he is excited. I think for the next few generations, the kids raised as gear heads will make more money and be employed better than the nerds! Being a nerd and a gear head, I am pushing him to learn how stuff works as much as how to use a computer. That seat you are making is a piece of moto art! keep it up. Is he going to weld it? I hope so. he will have people knocking down his door to fix stuff and build stuff for sure!

My son hasn't quite got the tig welder down yet Maritime! He can mig ok, but he hasn't got the foot to hand coordination he needs to be proficient with the tig! Especially welding sheet aluminum. I'll have to weld the seat up for him.
What all do you and your boy plan on doing to the 50 when you start it? I wish I still had my old 50 from when I was kid. My first bike! :)

YEEAAAAHBOIII
12years young and whipping this up!? not only is he lucky to have a dad like yourself, i hope he realises that this will become more than a hobby, and his first build with his father will be for LIFE.

congrats to getting this started guys and i very much look forward to seeing this come together.
it sure as hell will be better than my build!

Well I am definitely gonna be following this build. Great work so far, work being done by a 12 year old, icing on the cake!!!!

Cool. We will be basically getting it running. Safe as a first ride. I found out the chinese clone motor is a 70cc so it will be good for a few seasons. We have a ds80 as well r
That if budget allows we will get running for me to ride along too.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

Here's a long awaited up date on this build. I have been super busy and haven't had the time to download the pics until this week.

Here's what has happened since Christmas on it. I bought my son a set of Renthal Street Fighter bars for it, and the Exhaust Mandrel Bends needed to built the exhaust. Matt put the bars on it Christmas day, but we had to wait to start the exhaust until after New Years. We cut and tacked the Exhaust down tubes off the cylinder head down to where they turned down under the chassis. We had to offset the pipes to the left so they would clear the oil drain plug. We then cut and fitted the bottom tubes back to the swing arm where they kick out to the right side of the chassis. From there they will turn up and back and mate to the mufflers. I am going to order the parts to build the mufflers this weekend. We're stopped on the exhaust until then. Here are a few pics of what we got done.

31135ee90.jpg

311b5ee90.jpg

311d5ee90.jpg

31235ee90.jpg

31275ee90.jpg

312b5ee90.jpg

312f5ee90.jpg

31355ee90.jpg

313b5ee90.jpg

313f5ee90.jpg

you should keep it as an off roader so he can actually ride it when he is finished. So cool, i remember being 13 the most i knew about motorcycles was how to start a flooded one when my dirtbike broke i sold it. lol. Single mom kid you know. He will be way ahead of the game.

Wish my dad had got me started earlier on motorcycles. At 12 i was building bicycles, though. Few years later here i am building complete custom motor bikes

Great work so far. Keeps him outta trouble i bet.

Back
Top Bottom