1975 CB200 Cafe Project

808shadow

Mechanical Engineering student at Texas Tech
I've been waiting a while for a first project bike and when I saw this thing for how cheap it was I couldn't resist. It is a project to say the least and I am in the works of getting a title for it. Luckily I met a motorcycle mechanic in one of my undergrad classes and he has offered to help me with a lot of the work. I just picked this up 2 days ago and I plan to be working on it over the next 6 months or so and wanted to keep a record of my work as well as seek knowledge form those more knowledgeable than my self (mainly anyone)
I have a few ideas of where I want to go, and I am on a college student budget so there's gonna be a lot of DIY. I guess I'm going to start with sanding the frame and getting the paint and light surface rust off. I plan on using around 300 range grit and then covering with some rustoleum before painting. Thats about it for now!

Attachments

• CB200.jpg
    CB200.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,488
Got a CB200 myself a couple of months ago, not sure of year yet, haven't had chance to get started on it due to being deployed overseas. Looking forward to seeing your project.

Attachments

• P1010716.JPG
    P1010716.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 1,259
Ha looks like my 200, it's prob around a 75 or 76 model. I'm gonna follow both of you guys to see how bad ass there going to look. And bro thank you for your service it's greatly appreciated

Thanks for the replies guys. I found a Vin decoder that will tell you what year your bike is, ill see if I can dig it up and post the link tomorrow.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Two CB200 threads at the same time. Sounds like a build off to me. Good luck with both of your bikes, I'll be following both.

cyclefreak said:
Two CB200 threads at the same time. Sounds like a build off to me. Good luck with both of your bikes, I'll be following both.

Make that three I'll start mine today!
Woop woop

http://www.motorera.com/honda/h0200/sport200.htm heres what I used to find at least what year and model yours can be, hope it helps!

BTW this would be using the frame number, but even with a missing number you should be fine. Apparently it was pretty common for Honda to mismatch your engine and frame number with the numbers of production they had it was bound to happen. I know mine is mismatched so yours might be too so I wouldn't go off engine number.

ReynoldsIndustries said:
Got a CB200 myself a couple of months ago, not sure of year yet, haven't had chance to get started on it due to being deployed overseas. Looking forward to seeing your project.
That makes yours a 76 , and you can verify with the frame number. But due to colors alone it should be a 76

ok I've decided to list some of the major componants/work/buys I want to make and kinda get some opinions.
Mikuni VM20 carb
Tank (dunno if I want the stock tank or not)
guages
clip on or clubmans (haven't decided yet)
I'm making my own seat out of fiberglass
A friend is wiring all for me
paint (thinkin about going silver base with flat red stripes)
TT100 Tires
Exhaust headers
martini/cocktail mufflers

thats the main stuff the rest like calipers and levers aren't a big deal to me since they're all cheap. I do have a question though, has anyone done a two into one manifold for a carb? I know the old harleys were built this way and I was thinking about doing it on this bike. I just have no experience with it. One carb would look super clean in there, anyone seen or done this? If so any performance issues?

Just looked at the honda link thanks, yep reckon mines a 76 but will check, bike is stored at my parents while I move house which will slow the build down a fair bit, on the plus side though I get to design and build a workshop at my new house, so can get it exactly ho I want it, just need to make sure I don't go over board and spend too much on it.

Looking at your parts list I'm not sure whether to use the original tank, seen some nice racers with it on though, think I'm going to go for clubman bars. I'm hopefully doing sheet metal and tig welding course in a few months so may attempt my own seat at some point, but for this project I'll probably purchase a fibreglass one

would you need welding to make your own seat pan? if for whatever reason you don't take this course I know that many welding places you can bring a dwg file from autocad of whatever design you want and they will cut it out with a laser and weld or bend whatever you need for a very reasonable price. I don't know how often you would weld stuff so it may or may not be worth the cost to get it done like this. Luckily I have a friend that works at a company with a laser like I mentioned above and they let them make whatever they want out of the scrap metal they have left over, so I plan on making some old school looking emblems as well as some braces and maybe ears. I guess we'll see, don't wanna take advantage of his job too much and get him in trouble

Haven't had much time to mess with the bike with school (thermo is kicking my butt) but today I took off the front and rear wheels, took out the engine, and started on the forks before it was too dark to do anything else.

Attachments

• 200teardown.jpg
    200teardown.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 278
the axles were a pain in the ass to get out. the bearing were fine but the spacers had so much junk built up. I ended up using a dowel and a rubber mallet as soon as I got it to where it was somewhat moving. I had to use a vice grip to get some rounded nuts off (whoever failed at taking off the rear springs before is a jackass). the engine wasn't too bad to get out at all, just had to clear the frame and it was good to go! That sums up everything I did today. Hopefully by this weekend Ill have everything off of there and I can strip and prime it!

one more week of school then I can put a ton more time into this baby. Just gotta finish those finals!

808shadow said:
anyone ever used a non-stock brake caliper that could recommend one?

There was talk of retro fitting a hydraulic one on the Honda twins forum, but I've never looked into it. My advice is to look for a late model CB/CL 175 front end with a drum brake. The later models used a top clamp like the cb200 btw.

Back
Top Bottom