Project GOLDWING, a 76 GL1000

jachana

Been Around the Block
Picked up a 76 GL1000 from a local guy here for $400. It is totally original and only has 9,757 miles on it. Its really clean and super heavy!!! I want to put it on a heavy diet and make some really nice mods to it. See pictures and give me your ideas.

Jachana

Attachments

• WP_000460.jpg
    WP_000460.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 1,083
  • WP_000461.jpg
    WP_000461.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 827
  • WP_000462.jpg
    WP_000462.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 3,787
  • WP_000465.jpg
    WP_000465.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 721
Some more pics, and also a lame mock up of a similar look Im trying to get.

Attachments

• raw1.jpg
    raw1.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 1,248
  • WP_000469.jpg
    WP_000469.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 1,853
  • WP_000468.jpg
    WP_000468.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 1,644
  • WP_000467.jpg
    WP_000467.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 1,135
damn! $400????? Where the ef are these deals in LA? Would kill someone for that nice of a starting point for that money.

...and on the opposite side from what you show is the fuel tank in that location, pretty much limiting your mods shown in green. I'd say leave the triangle as is.

Nice! great bike and an absolute deal at that price! Head over to the Naked Goldwing Forum (www.ngwclub.com) and they can answer any questions you may have, and you can get all the ideas you need for your build. I also just picked up an 83 gl1100 for the same purpose to build a bobber/streetfighter. Keep us posted ;)

Thanks everybody,

I was thinking of doing an actual real tank instead of the fake tank (much frame modding though) so we will see. I am going to strip off all unnecessary stuff, rewire the bike for the bare essentials, wanted to reshape the rear part of the frame but apparently that's a BAD idea. Going to try and find some Lester wheels for it, change the handle bars, the seat will be single seater. Want to do a 4 into 1 carb conversion and "maybe a supecharger" if I can find a cheap enough one. I need to get over to NGW and sign up and get to reading.
One thing that freaked me out was the kick starter in the fake tank and also the location of the kick start.
Really looking forward to digging in to this thing.
Let me know your ideas for this one as well, I want to make something really different from whats been done before with the Goldwings, maybe like sort of racy like Randakks bike but maybe tracker like as well with the entire back end free of clutter.

I was thinking of going with the project name of "GOLDFINGER"

Thanks for the help,

Jachana

Randakks cycle is your new best friend. Check his site, it and naked goldwing is a wealth of info for newbies to the GL1000 and 1100. He is on vacation until April though so you can;t order any parts at the momment. His Tech tips section is gold. Paul Dutra from TO did a GL with the tank removed and one strapped to the fake tank area, check it out. Also another NGW club member did one with a mono shock conversion that is crazy cool. Don't let Swivel scare you. If you know what you are doing anything can be done. Would I? No cause I have never held a welder, but if I could weld, I would do it.

Cheers,

Maritime

Heres Dutras:

http://www.bikeexif.com/custom-goldwing

http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2011/12/1/1975-honda-goldwing-rat-el-guapo.html

Swivel said:
I'd like to know how that Dutra character steers the bike with clipons and the fork rake all altered by slamming the rear end.That rig would be great to watch hitting a big bump on the highway with the ground clearance all low,the steering geometry wrecked and half the leverage with clipons.I think he's just modified the rear sub frame and not replaced it with a homemade triangle which is a diffferent skills level and ballgame entirely.A total junk build.I've seen some Dutch and supercharged stripped Goldwings and they were well done,the Dutra one is pure dangerous junk.

According to the article he drove 5k miles in nine days, so I guess steering wasn't much of an issue.

"After some final adjustments to the shocks, Dutra took the Gold Wing out for a shakedown ride. Then he immediately loaded up his backpack, and rode out to L.A.—a round trip of over 5,000 miles.
He made it there and back in nine days.

Read more: http://www.bikeexif.com/custom-goldwing#ixzz1qWDT32pb"

Don't listen to swivels drivel, he only makes sense 1 out of 10 posts, Check this one out, I love it and if I have the skills would do one similar.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=14459.msg153159#msg153159

I don't advocate unsafe builds but these 2 dudes know what they are doing. I would ride the crap out of either of these. Swivles advice isn't bad, it's what I did to my GL and I ride the shit out of it all over NA. but I love it and would love to have one to mod up some more. The first Gen 75-76 have the best motors except for maybe the limiteds in 77. They are designed to rev and are happy at 3K-redline, putting around is not in their nature and are like honda cars, the power comes on high in the revs. They are not torque monsters like later models 1100, 1200 1500 etc. Read how to split the timing etc. and you will have a very fun machine. I am a 210 lb dude and I find the bike is not that heavy and you can, with good suspension and brakes throw them into corners, within reason and with some ability. They became land barges later, they were orginally designed as superbikes of the day.

Great Advise Swivel, Maritime and Scroggins.

I was thinking of putting some Renthal low profile bars on it. Do you think they will be strong enough or get something different?

I will def. do the progressive shocks for performance and they just look so cool.

Need to find and or make a good single seat, I know Randakks used a custom corbin and it looks great.

We shall see how the bike progresses as I run into issues (which will happen) Im sure plans will change in design.

Thanks for the great links and ideas,

Jachana

Swivel said:
Quote Maritime:"Don't listen to swivels drivel, he only makes sense 1 out of 10 posts...../.....Swivles advice isn't bad"..Nothing like a clear mind consistant in thought and action,Maritime.

Some wasn't drivel and I new that read a bit odd but left it anyway Should have quoted the drivel and the good advice to sepreate them out ;D

Maritime said:
Randakks cycle is your new best friend. Check his site, it and naked goldwing is a wealth of info for newbies to the GL1000 and 1100. He is on vacation until April though so you can;t order any parts at the momment. His Tech tips section is gold. Paul Dutra from TO did a GL with the tank removed and one strapped to the fake tank area, check it out. Also another NGW club member did one with a mono shock conversion that is crazy cool. Don't let Swivel scare you. If you know what you are doing anything can be done. Would I? No cause I have never held a welder, but if I could weld, I would do it.

Cheers,

Maritime

+1 to this, invaluable info.

Re: Project GOLDFINGER, a 76 GL1000

Wanted to update where I am on the project. Right now its pretty raw looking. About to start tacking up the new sub frame and mono shock mounts. Now need to find the right fuel tank. I am looking for a clean KZ550 tank to use.
See pictures below of the progress plus a few renderings of what I hope it will look like when completed.
Just a side note, I was able to remove 101 pounds from the bike with things I wont be needing.
Keep you all posted, let me know what you think.

Jachana

Attachments

• WP_000848.jpg
    WP_000848.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 792
  • WP_000872.jpg
    WP_000872.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 1,376
  • WP_000889.jpg
    WP_000889.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 673
  • WP_000892.jpg
    WP_000892.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 956
Rendering pictures.

Attachments

• rendering.jpg
    rendering.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,618
  • rendering1.jpg
    rendering1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 3,372
  • GoldwingGoldfingerMod.jpg
    GoldwingGoldfingerMod.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 723
Last one :) If you are going monoshock, might as well make the seat "float". The seat hump may need to be larger to balance that huge false tank up front.

Back
Top Bottom