1972 DS7 The Row Boat

Re: 1972 DS7 The Long Road

Thanks guys. I got a little box of stuff today and I also think that I may have solved the riddle of the offset front sprocket. I found some cross reference info that shows that a hyabusa spline should be the same size as the rd. There are a few offset sprockets out there for the busa crew sporting those fat rear tires. More to come..

Re: 1972 DS7 The Long Road- monoshock conversion done

I would think the mighty Hay-bus would have a 530 sprockets and chain. The RD a 520. Renthal makes an Ultra light Busa sprocket in 530 14T-17T don't know if it's available in offset from Renthal?
Cheers, 50gary

50gary said:
I would think the mighty Hay-bus would have a 530 sprockets and chain. The RD a 520. Renthal makes an Ultra light Busa sprocket in 530 14T-17T don't know if it's available in offset from Renthal?
Cheers, 50gary
Gary,
There are a few that cross over both 520 and 530. The list was from pbi sprockets. They listed the part numbers by model so its easy to reference. Now there is a company called myrtle west that is putting out offset sprockets for a decent price. I'm not 100% on it yet but I'll get it figured out soon. I'm just trying to avoid making it myself.

I use the 520 on my bikes, I did see a cross for a Busa in 520 when I did a quick search. I couldn't see a part number so I didn't post.
Cheers, 50gary

Here is a link to the PDF of sprockets.
http://www.shop.pbisprockets.com/media/PBI%20Catalog%20Complete(2).pdf
Now I don't have a specific breakdown of their part numbers but I am assuming that the last two digits are the tooth count. With that said, if the first are number is identical they should be the same shaft size/spline count. The RD350 is a 776 for a 530 setup. Looking at other bikes on the list, 456 is the 520 conversion equivalent. The next step would be finding an offset front with a close enough tooth count that you could even it out at the rear. I think that stock gearing is 15/40 for the 350. For this instance I think they offer a 16T for the newer bikes that cross over to the RD but I'd have to look at my new rear wheel size vs. the old one to get the gearing straight in the back.

hey man, bike looks killer! I got a couple of questions & I hope I didn't miss it as I skimmed through the build. How did you set your ride height? Or at least the height of your upper shock mount? How much does the bike squat when you sit on it?

I measured the original setup and went for that. As far as the squat, I assume that you are referring to sag? That is set with the spring tension with rider on the bike so I haven't got that far yet but it can be done at any point.

I recieved the offset front sprocket in the mail yesterday. After a little research I discovered that there are a few newer bikes out there that have the same countershaft size and spline count as the RD350(25mm with 13 splines). I ordered a 3/8" offset 16T sprocket that was for a GSXR1300 up to 2007 I believe from PBI and it slipped right on. Im getting down to the nut cutting and only have a few things left to buy. I need a rear sprocket in 530 pitch, chain, a battery and an air filter. I have a longer oil tank line on the way along with the Y-boot, carb vent lines and a few other small items. I really think that I may be better off if I get it running and jet it to the old pipes first and then put the new ones on. The reason for that is the carbs are from a 350 with the stock jetting and going to near stock for the 250 with the O.G. pipes may be a better starting point.

The second challenge will be to get the suspenders to work with this bike since both are sprung and valved for much heavier bikes. I could just get fat and solve the problem but new clothes may cost just as much as new springs. I know that I can try different oil heights in the front and lighter springs shouldn't be too expensive. As far as the back, I haven't looked into what range of springs are available for the gsxr600 shock or what others(possibly from the motocross world) that would fit. We'll get it sorted out.

I do need to machine down the drive hub 10mm but that shouldn't be much trouble. This may be looking too far down the road but I'm looking forward to getting the 350 cylinders, possible porting and a new pipe to get more performance out of it.
Below is a link to the PBI sprockets parts list. A good place to reference what sprockets cross over to different bikes.
http://www.shop.pbisprockets.com/media/PBI%20Catalog%20Complete(2).pdf

I need to replace those rusty engine bolts.

Looks rad my man a side note : rd400 output shaft is a match to rz/banshee

Very nice Clem, wish I could have just bought one for the T500. Don't know if you remember but I had to make my own!

I remember john, that's why I searched this one out! Thanks

John, I also looked at the cost for making my own. While I had an abused sprocket to cut a new one would have been about $28 (to weld on to the old one) plus the time to weld and do the machining. This cost me $49 so it made it an easy choice. I did a quick search and I couldn't verify any other bikes that matched your 500.
I also stroked my oil pump with the drill after reading about your troubles. I hope that I don't have to go through that mess.

$49 is a bargain for that sprocket, thanks for checking on the T500 sprockets too.

I think I am just unlucky with my pump I am sure you will be fine :)

Mike,
my wallet is doing the work at the moment and unfortunately it is slower than I am. HA!

I went ahead and welded the rear end of the frame back on the bike. I guess now it can no longer be considered a cafe racer but I will continue on folks.

Re: 1972 DS7 The Long Road- The Un-Cafe

This bike is looking AWESOME sir!!

Re: 1972 DS7 The Long Road- The Un-Cafe

I've got the oil pump installed. The list gets shorter.
Buy the rear sprocket and chain
Mill the rear drive hub
Remove the original coil brackets and weld up new one for the mzb coil
Get the shifter welded to place the linkage arm on the top of it.
I should be able to fire it up after this then move on to making a new seat, oil tank bracket and battery mount.
20140116_190057_zps55c895b6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom