1972 DS7 The Row Boat

Re: 1972 DS7 The Long Road- The Un-Cafe

I got the coil bracket removed and made a new one. I got the new coil mounted.
20140117_160953_zps6a8a4e34.jpg

Re: 1972 DS7 The Long Road

clem said:
I went ahead and welded the rear end of the frame back on the bike. I guess now it can no longer be considered a cafe racer but I will continue on folks.
what is going on with the exhaust are you building this as a dragbike?
it just looks crazy low for cornering clearance

My friends dad had a pretty sweet KZ1000 that he set up for drag racing, by the time he got it running he sold it.
XB they do look pretty darn low. I caught a glimpse of that yesterday while I was working on it in so I did a fake lean on the bike and it went pretty far without hitting the ground. I can't drag my knees on the street anyway, in fact I catch myself sticking my inside leg out to the front in deep turns like I'm still out on a motocross track.

On a serious note, I had to work the pipes around the rear suspension linkage. That was something that I hadn't thought about when considering to even do a monoshock setup. Maybe someone else can learn from that. Oh and I was looking down at the bike slightly when I took the pic so it looks worse than it actually is.

I'm looking at that same dilemma, a low pipe on my project. The pipe (250 FMF Fatty,) it's so fat and I have a linked mono-shock. We'll see how creative this will turn out to be? Your bike look's cool, hang in there.
Cheers, 50gary

Gary does FMF make street pipes or are you using a fatty to create your own? I may try to take a pic with the bike leaned over today.

The pipe is an every day FMF Fatty Gold Series for a YZ250 moto-X pipe that I'm "re-directing" Noble experiment, if it doesn't work Then I'll make one from scratch. I've also had a thought that the power delivery for cafe/track bike may be quite different from the moto-X?
Cheers, 50gary

The fatty was a bottom end pipe and worked well on 125's and the RM250 when they had no bottom from the factory. The late model YZ's were a strong motor all around of the showroom floor. Looking forward to see what you come up with.

Lean angle. Pipes not hitting ground yet.
20140118_170020_zps00f60335.jpg

I think your lean clearance should be good. 8) the scoot is crazy cool so far bub!

Try not to forget that the suspension isn't loaded with a rider or under stresses normally given in riding conditions. It may look good now, but check it with the suspension fully compressed to see your true lean angle. Bike looks great though, keep up the good work.

Remember that I can't drag knees. If it goes any further than that it's because I'm about to hit the ground. Lol!

Captain awesome is right, when cornering the bike is much lower on the suspension and if you don't hang off, the bike has to be leaned further to corner at the same speed, so more stuff drags.

You'll know about ti though as the pipe levers the wheel off the ground mid corner !!!!!!!

That's the kind of stuff that I don't know about teaser. Won't the engine torque through the chain also compress the rear end also like on a motocross bike? Do you set race sag on a road bike like you do on a motocross bike?What would the greatest lean angle for a beginner rider be able to achieve on average?

clem said:
That's the kind of stuff that I don't know about teaser. Won't the engine torque through the chain also compress the rear end also like on a motocross bike? Do you set race sag on a road bike like you do on a motocross bike?What would the greatest lean angle for a beginner rider be able to achieve on average?

that mid cormer bump you didn't see is what will catch you out if you have limited cornering clearance
usually the pegs will touch first and being folding it is not a big issue,you feel it and get a warning they always give you a bit more lean before you hit hard stuff and crash
i would say you are going to need at minimum 45 degrees lean angle with nearly bottomed out suspension to be safe
because there are always dips and humps in roads as well

Alright all bumps aside, I got the oil tank mounted to the rewelded end of the frame. I put oil in the tank and was able to prime it to the banjo bolts on the cylinder. The plan is to start it up next weekend. I should be able to get the drive hub done tomorrow. I also have the metal for the new seat on the way so that can get done also.
20140125_130408_zps5b1d449a.jpg

20140125_130402_zps0382a35c.jpg

clem said:
I went ahead and welded the rear end of the frame back on the bike. I guess now it can no longer be considered a cafe racer but I will continue on folks.

Eh? Since when did cutting the tail off make anything a Cafe racer? Did I miss that Tweet?

That's also why I prefer the term "custom" rather than trying to match someone's definition.

Teaser I suppose that my cajun humor is not be translated?

Facile humor; Instead of the Un-cafe it could now simply be Decaf.
I like The "Un-cafe" just yesterday I told a friend how it sucks to be "un-rich"
Cheers, 50gary

Ah Gary why couldn't I come up with the decafe!

Call it a fucking row boat if you want, who cares? Wake me when your doing hole shots

Back
Top Bottom