1972 DS7 The Row Boat

HAHAHA I damn near tipped my Guinness when that fired. That's fantastic Clem, really. I love the wheels on it, they look oddly......familiar. Great work amigo!

John I would say that you are correct. If there are gasket/washers under the bolt head fuel would still seep down in the bolt holes of the petcock and sit there. I would think that not having the threaded inserts of the tank open to the inside of the tank would have been a better design.
Swagger thanks. The coolest part about this is that there are some good people here that are willing to contribute to get someone that may have never met a little closer to realizing their motorcycle. I still have a long way to go with this one to put it on the street and after that I want to do some motor work(350 cylinders and heads), possible porting, add a fairing and actually go through the suspension and make it work for a bike of this weight, flex and also rider weight.
I still need to agree with myself on a seat and front and rear fenders. That will probably be the hardest part of this project.

clem said:
Found out why I had a fuel leak. It was seeping through the bolt holes so I drilled out a recess for an o-ring.
That is freakin Genius!
I use a combo metal/rubber washer, that's mostly effective, but will still weep fuel ever so slightly.
Thanks Reeshard, by way of Clem ;)

Redbird said:
That is freakin Genius!
I use a combo metal/rubber washer, that's mostly effective, but will still weep fuel ever so slightly.
Thanks Reeshard, by way of Clem ;)
Ha, I was thanking RichArd for the "Fucking Rad"

I bet that when they were storming Frankenstein's lab there was a guy in a leather jacket leaning against the gate that said that.

Rich Ard said:
I bet that when they were storming Frankenstein's lab there was a guy in a leather jacket leaning against the gate that said that.

It was the Fonz

abnormal.png

So I'm dragging this back up from the days when I was actually working on this motorcycle. I got busy working at work, working around the house and basically just working in general on other things besides this. Part of it was just the frustration of things not coming together smoothly and I got my ass full.
So after I got it fired up, it sat up for awhile while I got the petcock leaking under control(I think I did since it has no gas in the tank). The oil injection lines started to leak so I replaced those along with the clips that hold them on the nipples. I had to have the front sprocket turned down to a 520 so that the clutch actuator would not rub anymore so I hit up my friend Don to get it taken care of. That step took awhile as I didn't want to just drop it off to him and run, I waited until I actually had time to visit with him for awhile and catch up on the Kawasaki 750 triple engine that he was putting in his 500. So I get back home and put the sprocket on and bam! It still hits the chain. I had to take the clutch actuator off and remove the dust cover so that I could slide the actuating arm a little further down the geared shaft. Finally I have an operational clutch!
Now I am finding that I can't shift this thing into gear on the stand, maybe it'll slip in when it's running? Are these bikes that stubborn?
I did manage to make a battery box and mount up the gauges in a little tighter. The laundry list is: add a front fender, finish the seat/cowl, get the correct length bolts for the linkage, build some new chambers and add a rear mud guard.
As far as the seat/cowl is concerned, I am leaning towards cutting it down to just a cowl containing the oil tank and doing a fiberglass seat pan. I can't seem to get the metal pan to fit as tight to the frame as I would like and I think that glass would allow me to match the contour on the rear of the tank a little better.
And here are a couple of pictures for proof:

I had to go with a slightly older version of the R6 shifter to get that to work also

Clem, you are not alone! I have deserted the Suzuki for the last several months as I got fed up taking the carbs off and reinstalling them with different jets and getting no where :mad: I am sure you will get the seat right soon :D

Back
Top Bottom