The first of 5 RV125 projects.

mortoto

Hi All, thought id share the couple of projects I have on the go. I havent taken many photos of the stages on this one but this is the firsts of my 5 RV125 restorations and a bit of the story. hopefully I have done this right but this is a picture before tear down.

Attachments

• IMG_5572.JPG
    IMG_5572.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 304
I was asked to find a RV90 for a guy here as he sold his and then regretted it minutes later. after some digging i found a nice chap with a collection of RV125 and a few spare parts. so after a deal was struck sight unseen my self and a mate started our 12 hour round trip. it was a slow trip home and took a bit of effort but we got it all in.

Attachments

• IMG_5474.JPG
    IMG_5474.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 296
  • IMG_5476.JPG
    IMG_5476.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 299
  • IMG_5475.JPG
    IMG_5475.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 304
Finally got them all home and sorted what I have just purchased, surprisingly after sitting for ten years a bit of starting fluid and they showed signs of life, all but two of them at least.

Attachments

• IMG_5483.JPG
    IMG_5483.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 289
  • IMG_5480.JPG
    IMG_5480.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 296
  • IMG_5481.JPG
    IMG_5481.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 291
a few pieces required some work two front mudguards had to be welded up and one battery cover needed a piece welded on, nothing that a few beers and a sheet of ABS cant overcome. still need to finish filling and sanding the guards but they are now solid at least.

Attachments

• IMG_6183.JPG
    IMG_6183.JPG
    989.6 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_5884.JPG
    IMG_5884.JPG
    1,023.1 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_5885.JPG
    IMG_5885.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 290
the conversation was not exactly calm when my 5 year old found some swords to play with in the garage, these are proving to be the rarest part of the RV125. update from child is they were not good swords they broke too easy.

Attachments

• IMG_5586.JPG
    IMG_5586.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_5587.JPG
    IMG_5587.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_5588.JPG
    IMG_5588.JPG
    278 KB · Views: 288
morto said:
the conversation was not exactly calm when my 5 year old found some swords to play with in the garage, these are proving to be the rarest part of the RV125. update from child is they were not good swords they broke too easy.

Don't make swords like they used to dammit.

What a haul you've got there - should keep you in beer and busy for a while :D

@advCo Cheers mate love these things such a fun ride. As I said I will get some more progress on the Rv90 jobs as well and post some on here
@jimbonaut I think buying king arthurs sword would be cheaper and easier then find these ones in good condition

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

started cleaning the triple clamp. another two or three beers worth but got it completed im not the best at taking before and after pictures

Attachments

• IMG_5681.JPG
    IMG_5681.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 345
I found one of these little beauties on kijiji this morning and giving it some serious thought. There's just so much to dig!

Yeah I’ve found a few on there before, pretty sure there’s one with the pump as well on there. He won’t separate the pump unfortunately

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Have started building just waiting for the chrome to come back and the build can continue

Attachments

• IMG_6388.JPG
    IMG_6388.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 292
Now to clean this little sucker up and check it over, Wife was not pleased when i went to put it in the dishwasher so am de-greasing, pressure washing and soda blasting for now about 2 hours of cleaning and tried a bit of soda blasting, soda wasn't as successful as i had hoped. will try putting the side cover back on and wet blasting the head and bore.

Attachments

• IMG_6420.JPG
    IMG_6420.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 293
  • IMG_6437.JPG
    IMG_6437.JPG
    416.8 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_6436.JPG
    IMG_6436.JPG
    324.6 KB · Views: 278
Paint is looking killer.

I had a hard time with soda blasting. Prefer beads now but I wouldn't do it on an engine that's all together. How many miles on that one? Mine with 3800 had barely anything left on the rings.

Going to paint the engine or leave it bare alum?

yeah i have the atc head i tried both soda and glass bead, soda did nice work on clean material to put a dull factory sort of finish, the glass put a shine to it. neither went too well cleaning this motor, I've had to wash then use a wet soft brass brush on low speed on the dremel. then after that as a test i did hit a small patch with soda to see the finish, that will be what i'm after in the end.
I did just buy a wetblast attachment for the pressure wash and may try hot washing as well on some engines to see the different effects it all gives.
the engine I'm aiming for as factory as possible so will clean and seal the cases then paint the clutch and generator covers.
I didn't check the miles before teardown, these bikes have been robbed to pay over the years so i couldn't say they were original odometers.

Back
Top Bottom