1976 CB360t Slightly modded, restored to roadworthiness - Workin' on Beauty

mydlyfkryzis

当有疑问时踢你的敌人在生殖器上,你可以道歉后
I bought my 76 CB360t in 1978. I had sold my '69 CB350 in 1975, which seemed like a good idea at the time. After getting married, I started missing my ride, and decided the CB360 was similar enough and the right price to replace the 350.

To be perfectly frank, the CB350, at least in my fond memory, seemed to handle better and was a little faster then the 360. But I liked the idea of 6 speeds and a disk brake, and went for it.

I rode the heck out of the bike for 9 years. the tenth year, the front caliber seized, and my wife and I were in the middle of hunting for our first house and saving money for it. That same year we bought a house, and I've been broke since. I didn't have the $$ to repair the bike, as the real estate lawyer and previous owner of the house had ALL my money. I parked the bike in the back of a wet garage (House inspector missed that, as well as me and my wife), and promised to fix it "next year". So, 16 year pass, and I decide I need to ride again. I roll the bike out, and try to imagine how hard it would be to get it roadworthy. I chiseled 16 years of gas residue out of the carburetors, I rebuilt the master cylinder, and examined the front caliber. Than I sttod back, figured I needed $3000 to finish the restoration, and went out and bought a 1991 NH750 that needed no work and ran, for $2000. Poor CB360 was rolled back into the garage into her damp corner.

In 2012, 8 years later, my wife insisted I either fix the CB360, or sell it. Since it was so crusty, I figured a part out would be the best, from a money standpoint. I started looking at E-Bay to get an idea of the value, and how to price the parts, and estimate a return. During my research, I discovered a NOS 1976, proper color, proper graphic, fuel tank, that talked to me. Did I mention the now 24 years of dried up fuel residue in the old tank? or the peeling paint?

My lust for the old CB360 (I think she needs a name) rekindled, and I decided to bid on this beautiful new old tank.
fueltank.jpg

If I won the bid, I would restore the bike. If I lost, it was coming apart.

So you know where I am starting, here is the bike, without the crusty tank, rolling it out of the garage after 24 years.
sleftsidebefore.jpg

srightsidebefore.jpg

Someone asked me if I had stored it underwater. My garage doesn't flood. It is more like the title of a movie ... "A river runs through it" ..

Well, to end this post, I won the bid, I got the tank, and the restoration is on.

I am not looking for a concours bike. I am not going to chop it or brat it. I like fenders and chassis tabs, and will not cafe it. Not that any of them are bad, quite the contrary, but I want the bike to be a rider, and like how it was when I was riding the snot out of it in 1978.

I don't want bone stock, I want stock, but personalized, and improved where I believe improvement is good. In 1978 is when the oil cooler went on, the air horns, air fork conversion, etc. I like to make it better, but I want it still to be fairly stock looking.

More to come...

Re: 1976 CB360t Slightly modified restore to roadworthiness - Beauty later project

Good place to start. Did you put the oil cooler on it?

Re: 1976 CB360t Slightly modified restore to roadworthiness - Beauty later project

Yup. Bike was Bone Stock when I bought it in 1978. Was $700. A good running example of this is now 3 or 4 times that price...never thought it could appreciate.

I am further along then this, I have been blogging on the HondaTwins.net site. But I felt I should dupe the build here, so I'll spend the next couple of days updating .

I am close to ride-able at this point. A few more items and I can at least run around the neighborhood.

future plans will be a frame off, blast and powdercoat frame. But money and time, being limited, make me want to make it usable first. that's the "Beauty Later" part.

I have replaced most of the hardware that is not structural with Stainless, new rims and spokes, and a bunch of other stuff.
Motor is 160/165 PSI compression, and seems to be good at this point. I'll save the re-build for later too, as it starts and runs wells at this point.

The next part of the restore was to restore the operation of the front brakes. The original front caliper piston is chrome over cast iron. It seized because of corrosion. The CB360 - Calling her Sophie (after my paternal grandmother) was always parked outside, as I rented an apartment and did not have a garage. She was covered, but the winters can be harsh.

Now I have a garage, but sophie is still going to be on the waterfront (my basement :( ) Went looking for the oem repair kit, and found that someone on e-bay, at a lower price the OEM, was making the piston from 304 stainless. That and a good price convinced me that a low corrosion path is the way to go.
ss304brakepistoncb360.jpg

So a new piston ring, a thorough cleaning, and the front caliper was working again. Of course, now the the caliper worked, the brakes were still spongy, despite a good bleeding. The 34 year old brake line, which visibly expanded when I pulled the brake lever, had to be the culprit. After looking around, I decided Sligshot Cycles had the best product for my CB360. He stated he put the banjo's on at the correct angles, and that it would fit properly. I have Galfer lines on my 750, but I had to chose the fittings, and I may of chosen different if I was clearer on it. So and order to Slingshot, and new brake lines arrived shortly.

cb750std.jpg

The metal line (no pic) was rusty/crusty, so Bike Bandit had a good price on the OEM metal line from the hose to the caliper, and then a Stainless Speed Bleeder
brakebleederscrewinfo.jpg

The bleeder has a built in check valve and makes it really easy to bleed the brakes. The brakes are in great shape now. the brakes feel better then they did in 1978.

I have to take some pictures of the items installed....that will a little later.

I have changed the oil, cleaned the oil filter, checked timing and points. The points are in rough shape, so I order a new set on Flea-Bay, got a new set, installed them.
The bike was running on one cylinder. Between points and carburetor sync, spent a few days messing around, and finally got it running well. It's is amazing how poorly it can get with what appears to be small differences in synchronization and timing. Once I knew it would run, I proceeded to start cleaning, and working on the rusty crusty wheels.
The stock rims are really heavily rusted, and some of the spokes are rusted solid. So I ordered 2 Aluminum rims from XS Mikes, and Stainless steel Spokes from Buchanan's. The spokes and nipples are unpolished SS.
In my exploration of the internet, I learned that Duplicolor Aluminum Engine Paint is a close color match to Honda's color of their engines and parts. So I bought the primer and engine paint for the parts. I may polish some parts, but for now, I think the paint retains some of the original flavor of the bike.

So on to the rear wheel:
You can see the Rear Wheel is in pretty rough shape. While the chrome kinda looks like it may buff out, the interior is really poor.
oldwheeltireoff.jpg

insideoldrimrust.jpg

All disassembled
oldrimspokesout.jpg
:
New rim from XS Mikes 2.15 x 18 x 36 spoke:
wm3rimnew.jpg

Hub is cleaned, primed, Painted, and clearcoated, Rim and SS spokes laid out.
relacestart.jpg

Inside spokes Started:
relaceinnerfirstrowdone.jpg

Did the outer row, watching to make sure I keep it relatively staright as I lace:
relacestartingouterrow.jpg

All laced up:
relacecompletewithbrake.jpg

Tire mounted, with new tube:
rearwheeltiremountedand.jpg

Mounted to the bike
leftsiderearwheelroller.jpg

I also was busy Cleaning the motor. These are a couple of months old, I've done more, but you can really see the progress:

BEFORE:
sleftsideengineandcylin.jpg

AFTER:
sleftsideengineandcylin.jpg

BEFORE:
srightsidebefore.jpg

AFTER:
rightside8122012cleaner.jpg

I'll be adding a section every Day. Front Wheel and fork are coming tomorrow.

The front end was pretty bad too....
frontwheelstart.jpg

insiderimcondition.jpg

frontrotoroldmounted.jpg

forksstart.jpg

bottomofcrustyfork.jpg

So first, the front wheel. this is a XS Mikes 1.85 x 18 x 36 spoke shouldered aluminum rim, stock size spokes and nipples from Buchanan's in unpolished stainless steel.

Disassemble the front wheel:
hubrimandbrokenspokes.jpg

Crusty old hub:
oldhub.jpg

Cleaned to bare aluminum:
hubwirebrushed.jpg

Primed:
hubprimed.jpg

Painted:
hubaluminumpainted.jpg

Clear Coated Matte:
hubclearcoateddone.jpg

Paint is dry, now for the fun:

Lay out the parts, The army blanket is good scratch protection):
relacefrontrimstart.jpg

Add the inner spokes first...You can't add the inners after the outers...don't ask how I know that..
relacefrontriminnerspok.jpg

All Laced up on the inners:
rlacefrontrimallinnersd.jpg

For the outer spokes, I put it on the stand, easier for me anyway, some say do all of them laying down..
relacefrontrimouterspok.jpg

All done:
relacefrontrimallspokes.jpg

Now for the really fun part...you need very high tech tools to properly true the rim:
relacefrontrimspecialal.jpg

I didn't show the other check, eccentricity...I used the same tool, but it was mounted vertically, to make sure the rim is centered around the hub....

While the paint was drying on the hub, previously, I alos cleaned and painted the center of the disk:
frontrotorcenterpainted.jpg

frontrotorpainteddone.jpg

Then it all goes back together with the Tire:
relacefrontrimtiremount.jpg

The forks are in rough shape too...
I clean them, degrease, prime and paint. I paint them in my custom paint shop:
custompaintbooth.jpg

Looking new:
paintedandglossclearcoa.jpg

Then I ordered new dust covers from DCC...They didn't fit:
toptoobig.jpg

bottomtoobig.jpg

But DCC came through, great customer service, and I received the right ones...pictures to follow later...

This is approximately where I am up to, I need to get a nice day to get some more pictures of the rest of the work.

The bike is inches away from being ride-able..

More to come....

Sweet paint shop! seriously though, you do a nice job restoring parts. the end result looks great

1976 CB360t Slightly modified restore to roadworthiness - Beauty later project

The only problem with the painting booth is that the weather is restrictive. Thanks for the comment. I see all the pro work on here and start feeling a little intimidated. A little elbow grease and you can make a difference.

watching

Tonight I Changed the fork oil, straightened out the wiring a bit, installed the old, crappy tank, put the new petcock on the old tank, put 2 external gas filters on.
The old crappy tank was cleaned with vinegar, and it did a pretty good job..enough to use it until I am ready for the pretty tank.
Rolled it outside, started it up, and wondered if there was any reason not to take it for a ride.

Couldn't think of one!

It is not done, not by a long shot. But it runs and everything is working.

SO, I PUT 2 MILES ON IT RUNNING UP AND DOWN THE ROAD IN FRONT OF MY HOUSE!!!!..

It's dark, so no pics yet....but I promise, pics to follow.

SO there's specific work to do:
Adjust the carb floats and idle screws a little more....especially the floats. It is running a little lean.
Dump the old crappy pods and get the new UNI pods on.
Fix the oil leak at the alternator cover.....an o-ring crumbled on me...
Adjust the valves again....not sure I like the way the sound....
Adjust the cam chain.
Get some decent tires.
Clean the wiring up even more....I need to get a vintage connector kit and shorten and adjust some of the wiring. Also roure it a little cleaner.

BUT I AM STILL ON AN ADRENALINE RUSH!!

A lot of memories came flooding back. The sound, the power (or lack thereof ).
the VvIiBbRrAaTtIiOoNn .... The NH 750 has spoiled me. The twin vibrates just so much more.....
The inadequate lighting....

I am not saying the old exhaust is loud, but people from miles around are congratulating me on getting it running (j/k)(hopefully)

It is running a little lean...always did, with the pipes and pods....better pods will help, and I am going back to stock one day.

But still, it runs, not poorly, just in need of some fine tuning....

So a fine evening after all....

Sorry for no pics,. It is just too dark....I'll do pics and a vid as soon as I get the chance...

OH, I named the Bike Sophie, after my father's mother....My grandmother was a tough woman, according to my Dad (she died before I was born), and I think it is fitting to name the bike after one of the tougher members of my family.

So Sophie rolls !!!!

Nice work - but did you re-use the old tyres ?? :eek:

Those are the "old" Tires. They have no age checking. they were actually brand new when I parked the bike (in 1988).

I am not leaving them on, I just am using them until I get new ones. I am only riding up and down in front on the house, fairly slowly. I need them on for now so I can roll the bike around. They are perfect for that right now.

I ran out of money, and still have a lot of other work to do. I rode it just to see if it could go, and go it did.

I wouldn't trust those tires any further than I can push the bike home.

I think I still have my stock 360 airbox if our interested

Thanks for the offer...I just got them from a "friend" on the Hondatwins. Complete with all hardware.
I am putting UNI pods on for now, but I am going to replace the stock paper element with some filter foam...seen a nice explanation of that on the other site. That will allow the stock airbox and modern filters, giving me the best of both.

I may of found two side covers in my color. A business acquaintance has some CB360 parts in his garage. He said he is willing to part with them.

With all that, I'll have it look ing pretty stock...which is my goal.

I am amazed at how nicely this community of old bikes (some of the bikers are old too, :) ) is so supportive....You don't find that everywhere.

Looking good so far. Keep it up, i'm following along forsure.

mydlyfkryzis said:
Thanks for the offer...I just got them from a "friend" on the Hondatwins. Complete with all hardware.
I am putting UNI pods on for now, but I am going to replace the stock paper element with some filter foam...seen a nice explanation of that on the other site. That will allow the stock airbox and modern filters, giving me the best of both.

I may of found two side covers in my color. A business acquaintance has some CB360 parts in his garage. He said he is willing to part with them.

With all that, I'll have it look ing pretty stock...which is my goal.

I am amazed at how nicely this community of old bikes (some of the bikers are old too, :) ) is so supportive....You don't find that everywhere.

Cool no worries! good luck with the build

Some promised Pictures and a Video !!

First some of the improvements:

Front Brakes. the caliper is rebuilt with a stainless steel piston, new steel line to the flex line. The flex line is from Slingshot Cycles. they make a very nice product. All Brake banjos are Stainless too.
frontbrakecloseup.jpg

frontbrakefrombehind.jpg

Front View...I may need to move the horn, the front fender just hits it, though maybe a little more angle will allow clearance.
frontviewcf.jpg

Left Side with New Pods ...some of the pics have the old crusty pods, I was working and filming....
leftsideviewnewpods.jpg

Left View:
right34viewoldpod.jpg

Some Rear wheel detail ... Painted Swingarm, brake stay and rod
rightrearswingarmandwhe.jpg

I am using the old tank while I am working on it. The NOS tank is being saved for after the frame cleanup and real work. I don't want to ding up the NOS tank before I am done. The old tank is nasty, but now clean inside. You can see the paint is peeling and it is in poor shape.
oldtankpaintdamage.jpg

So after all this work, it still isn't done, maybe halfway. I still want to give it electronic ignition, I need to add newer tires, I am going to go through the electrics and clean up the connectors. BUT, it is driveable now. So I have driven it 3.5 miles so far. short, no further than I care to push it home, but the smile is still stuck on my face.

The video...Here it is before my short ride today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aIffPF-OXk

I love the pipe. But I have a question... what's the dealio with the front fender? Are you going to bob it more? or....

Shes looking great and sounds even better.

1976 CB360t Slightly modified restore to roadworthiness - Beauty later project

YogiBear said:
I love the pipe. But I have a question... what's the dealio with the front fender? Are you going to bob it more? or....
It cracked about 30 years ago from vibration and I cut it off at the crack. I am looking for a reasonable replacement

Sent from planet Earth using mysterious electronic devices and Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom