1984 Yamaha FJ1100 Touring Turd

interceptor

Coast to Coast
Since I`m a gluten for punishment, I have decided to take on the 1983 FJ1100 and show it who`s boss. Plans are to first get it back together and running. Everything will be in its stock location, using all stock parts (because I suck at fabricating, plus the bike looks cool). The only thing I won`t use is the front fairing. It really has an odd frame, so I`ll have to hide the front a little, but I have some things in mind. I cleaned up the tank and emptied the 5 year old swamp gas out of there, and cleaned the petcock. Filter looked good, and the tank itself is spotless on the inside. No dents, and paint shined up nice. Does have the key that fits the ignition, tank and seat lock. I also took a bowl off one of the carbs, and it was spotless. So I may be ahead of the game here!! Pics to follow

Attachments

• CAM02526.jpg
    CAM02526.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 329
Re: FJ1100 Street Turd

LOL, love the title! That bike could be bad-ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today I started piecing this thing back together. I can`t really decribe how rewarding it is for me to do this. Almost all of the wiring is complete, footpegs, shifter and brake almost all hooked up right now. I tried putting the carbs on, but dang!!!! I don`t know how I`ll get them in there. I guess just keep trying. I`m missing some bolts, so I think I`ll buy a `lot` of bolts on ebay. Pretty excited to see if I can get this bike started.

try using a ratchet strap round the front of the engine and the back of the carbs, its worked for me. also lots of lube spray

Hit the intake rubbers with a heat gun before you try and mount the carbs. It makes things a whole lot easier.

A hairdryer/heatgun plus something to lube up the carbs and rubbers (I use WD40 or brakecleaner) and they should go in with ease!

der_nanno said:
A hairdryer/heatgun plus something to lube up the carbs and rubbers (I use WD40 or brakecleaner) and they should go in with ease!
I have access to a heat gun from work. I'll give it a shot after work :D Thanks!

Does anyone recognize the front windscreen on my inspriational bike? It seems like it may be from an atv, but I can`t find any pics for confirmation.

I never thought of that, but I guess it could be. I've never really looked straight on at a belly pan.

New direction! All stock parts are going back on, and I want to find a corbin seat and luggage for it. Retro cruiser ;D

The wiring harness came pretty much hanging from the machine. I spent this morning trying to place it back in its original location. It wasn't really too hard, but finding the exact way it once laid was challenging. I think I'm about 75% there :D The only thing I'm missing is the flasher unit (I think). The throttle is a push-pull and all the parts are there, but I need how to figure out how it lays under the tank. It's all good, I'm having fun - Any progress is rewarding to me 8)

I got a bunch of stuff figured out this morning. Its cool looking a pictures on the internet, recognizing something, and then running out to the garage to put the parts in place. Got the carbs mounted last night, ordered a used air box and figured out some more wiring.

Attachments

• CAM02547.jpg
    CAM02547.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 316

This morning, I realized, after looking at a parts diagram on Bike Bandit, I forgot to install the shield behind the carbs. So off came the carbs again, and on goes the shield. They did seem to go on a little bit better than last time 8) After that, I tackled the choke cable. Being the cheap ass I am, I went to the local bicycle store yesterday and bought a stretch of bicycle brake cable. It already had a piece on one end of the cable, but I had to make something work for the other side. My buddy Eric gave me a universal end that I used. The only thing I had to do was drill out a pocket in the barrel and weld a tit on the end of the cable. It fits into the pocket and should work just fine. For $3, I'm happy ;)

interceptor said:
This morning, I realized, after looking at a parts diagram on Bike Bandit, I forgot to install the shield behind the carbs. So off came the carbs again, and on goes the shield. They did seem to go on a little bit better than last time 8) After that, I tackled the choke cable. Being the cheap ass I am, I went to the local bicycle store yesterday and bought a stretch of bicycle brake cable. It already had a piece on one end of the cable, but I had to make something work for the other side. My buddy Eric gave me a universal end that I used. The only thing I had to do was drill out a pocket in the barrel and weld a tit on the end of the cable. It fits into the pocket and should work just fine. For $3, I'm happy ;)

I hope when you say "weld a tit on the end" you meant solder??

Anyway, bicycle cables are a great resource - I use them all the time. You should get some more and make up new throttle cables to ditch that connector box under the tank. They have been known to seize often.

And it's probably not a bad idea to run a fuel pump like the 1200's do - the fuel line routing for the 1100 is pretty sketchy and they often get vapour lock and other fuel delivery issues (hence why they ran a fuel pump on the 1200).

I tried soldering it, but it wouldnt reveive the solder. I used flux, too. Anywys, i put a magnet to the wire and it was attracted to it, so I put my welder on A and 2 wire feed, and welded a tit on the end. Worked great! Good to know about the fuel pump. And i will look into the throttle cables. Thanks ;) Also found some 20mm ammo boxs` to make my panniers ;D

Welding the wire will probably not last long - it makes it brittle and will more than likely snap.

You need to make sure the wire and the nib are TOTALLY CLEAN so the solder will flow. I use brake cleaner.

Back
Top Bottom