Blacksmithing, Bladesmithing, forging

JustinLonghorn

No Purple Hearts, No Blue Ribbons
So, I know at least a couple guys on this forum dabble in the smithing. I decided to give it a go.

Built a small forge:

A new to me 1930 Forge blower with original rheostat:

Beat the shit out of a railroad spike the other day. It is really starting to take shape.

After lots and lots of filing.

I'll post up other projects as they come along.

Show me what y'all have been working on.

whoop there it is.

Awesome man. Whenever you need to gut someone that looks at you wrong, youll be ready

HF 1" belt sander is 40 bucks.
I use one 2-3 hrs a day every day and it hasn't let me down yet.

You are doing good! Normally smiths start making S hooks and nails. If you can beat something into a round shape you are on the right track. The HF belt sander's are hit and miss. Some of them don't have enough power to knock off loose rust. You can build your own belt sander and have something that will work all the time. Wayne Goddard a noted bladesmith wrote a book titled "$50 Knife Shop". It's a really good guide to building up your equipment on a budget. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/wayne-goddards-50-knife-shop-revised-wayne-goddard/1018008502

Very cool bud! I need a smooth bore swamped octagon rifle barrel in .75 cal and 42in long. 8)

Ive got a vhs-dvd of this. An hour of the most amazing tv you will ever watch!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAzJOULyx5c

I cannot believe I just sat and watched that entire video.
That guy is a boss :eek:

SONIC. said:
I cannot believe I just sat and watched that entire video.
That guy is a boss :eek:

its always mind blowing for me to watch it.

If I remember correctly, he made his first gun (a pistol) when he was like 14yo. 8)

Nice Jussy..I dabble in the smithing also. Here's a few of my projects,mainly knives. The demascuc I made for my Kung fu teacher that celebrated his 60th Bday n 50 years of Kung fu. The other was a skinning knife made from an old file.

Attachments

• IMG_0453.JPG
    IMG_0453.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_0451.JPG
    IMG_0451.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_0450.JPG
    IMG_0450.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_0447.JPG
    IMG_0447.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 406
I'm in. I love smithing videos on the yoobtube. I'd love to see peoples forge setups and specs.

This is an awesome thread
Thanks for starting this Justin.......and keep the pics coming

Quickly ran out of coal/heat, so it ended up very rough, but I made a leaf pendant for my daughter. Started as 1/2" Round stock.

This is cheating as I no longer have a true forge, but I made this "hammer of Thor" compete with a rubik twist handle. Still have to make a stand for it though.
369573088a4a98e22b734060e68a7e7b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom