What is your city best known for? (Good or Bad)

Flugtechnik said:
.....and have a tan line from your sunglasses.
:D :D Obviously you've been here! SO many "brahs" running around looking like reverse raccoons!

Toronto, Ontario. DTT homebase. The poor man's NYC. Always striving to be the Canadian Manhattan but falling so woefully short. One word: Hockey. Despite being the worst team in the NHL this season, The Maple Leafs still draw sellout crowds paying hundreds of dollars a ticket. Terrible drivers and psycho cabbies due to lax standards in licensing system. Posers, people who are always willing to jump on the bandwagon but are never the ones driving it. Condomania, every square inch of the downtown core that is demolished sprouts a new condominium in it's spot. Soon the view to the lake will be completely obscured by a wall of condos. I think there may be a few good things but they escape me at the moment.

Blake said:
:D :D Obviously you've been here! SO many "brahs" running around looking like reverse raccoons!

I have been there, but most of my experience comes from the "country" boys that migrate back to Atlanta to exercise their new business degree. I can spot them a mile away.

Can't believe you forgot to mention Beaverun, yinz!

VonYinzer nailed Pittsburgh. Once you get out of the city and off the highway it's nothing but wooded roads, bridges, state parks, etc. But he failed to mention PENNDOT. They go nuts fixing the roads from the winter salt/plow trucks so they will be perfect and ready to destroy next winter! It's so bad they actually have songs about them on the radio.

BeaverRun is sweet though. On a nice day in the summer you can hear red lining engines for miles.

Locally:
Mainly for the highest churchetower of the country (build started in the 11th century), the canals with restaurants, bicycles (that always get stolen) and the trafficjams/horrible trainstation.

For you Americans: Legalised softdrugs and whores ;)
(though there's not much of either of them here)

netherlands-utrecht.jpg

425px-Domtower_Utrecht.jpg

sized_IMG_0850a.jpg

There's a bridge and some white building with the heaviest concrete ceiling in the world and a few beaches.
and the "ghost in the machine"
just another day in Sydney

00053.jpg

00141.jpg

Thanks for the photos uge
Get your daily fix here
http://www.aquabumps.com

The original hometown is a tiny place called Shinglehouse, PA. Tiny, forgotten, and forgettable... claim to fame? It would have to be that it's the only "Shinglehouse" in the world. The current home is a place called Bucyrus, OH. (pronounced Bew SIGH russ) Its claim to fame is to be the "Bratwurst Capital of the US." You folks from Wis don't give me a hard time...

HerrDeacon said:
Old things - St. John's claims to be the oldest city in North America, have the oldest street and the oldest annual sporting event. Also, the place of the first transatlantic wireless message.

Other than that also know for fog, rain and snow :mad: To quote: "St John's is the cloudiest (only 1,497 hours of sunshine a year), snowiest (359 cm; 11.8 ft), windiest (24.3 km/h average speed) and has the most wet days per year" of all Canadian cities. :mad: :mad:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._John's,_Newfoundland_and_Labrador

Definitely known for "Nice People"

...and GEORGE STREET.

Moab, UT

Arches & Canyonlands national parks
Mountain Biking & Off-Roading Mecca
Lots of old western movies (John Wayne) and some newer ones filmed here.

I guess Riverside is known for the parent navel orange tree and for once having an international race track. But for me its the SUNSHINE and HEAT!!! Perfect weather. No snow or associated crap. I'm still in a T shirt and shorts.

Austin, TX: Live music, although all the f#ckin' Californians that keep moving into the "lofts" downtown are doing a good job of ending that with noise ordinances :mad:; SXSW; liberals (in the middle of a huge red state); UT Football-Hook'em Horns ; state capitol; sort of a film industry if you consider Robert Rodriguez, Richard Linklater, Mike Judge, and film festivals ; the Hill Country; and Barton Springs
spoon.jpg

austin-tx109.jpg

UT_football.jpg

machete-movie.jpg

(I'm in this ;D)
DazedAndConfused.jpg

King-Of-The-Hill-king-of-the-hill-613231_512_384.jpg

p6020280.jpg

Gulf Shores, Al. is a city on the Gulf of Mexico. During the summer we're full of tourists and drunks. During the winter we're full of snow birds (Thanks a lot Wisconsin...), and drunks (locals).
We have had a lot of bad hurricanes come through, been devastated and rebuilt several times. Now the beach is full of 20 story condos... and drunks.
We have the National Shrimp Festival which takes place on the beach. Lot's of overpriced art, funnel cakes, music, and drunks.
We also have the World Famous FloraBama nearby. The world's finest beach dive. Full of drunks.
Real estate is extra pricey and the dui rate is astounding.
Gulf Shores, Al... a little drinking village with a small fishing problem.

Awesome Thread!! i love it!! Like taking a trip and never leaving the farm. ;D
This is more about my state (West Virginia) because we are very rural.

The beautiful:
Mountaineer football/basketball, Majestic Mountains, valleys, clean air and water, and Bluegrass music. All recreation outside including rock climbing, World class whitewater, Mountain biking, Caving. You name it. We are the head waters for the drinking water for the South Eastern US. Birth place of Don Knotts, Jerry West, Soupy Sales, Chuck Yeager, and Homer Hickum.

The Big Sandy is Practically in my back yard. I've spent many year kayaking this world class creek (cool video if you get the chance)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwTgpo43plw

new-river-bridge11.jpg

New River Gorge Bridge. It is hardto tell scale but there are 18 wheelers on the bridge.

WestVirginiaMountains1.jpg

This is a disappearing scene, read on...

The UGLY: (this is not going to be good)
Poverty, Obesity, Political corruption, unemplyment, Mountain Top Removal (MTR). In 1950 there were 150,000 coal miners employed in WV, now coal is mined using MTR practices. Mountains are blown up (thousands of sq miles) and the coal is removed using large machines. The mountains are then pushed into the valleys. Thousands of sq miles look like the the moon. Waste fills and polutes the streams and rivers. Did I mention unemployment? There are now 20,076 employed miners compaired to the 1950 numbers.
More than 500 mountains are now flattened and over 1000 miles of streams have been buried. Billions of gallons of toxic coal slurry waste is held in earth impoundments at the head waters of many streams.
If you live in the South Eastern US and want to know what is in, or about to enter your drinking water, watch the video below. What's not in it yet soon will be because some of the toxic impoundments are leaking high levels of arsenic and mercury to name a few.
Corruption: John Grishim based his book The Appeal on Massey Energy (MTR company) buying its own Supreme Court Judge etc...
Mountain Top Removal
3990412740_91c0179a0b_o1.jpg

For scale there is one of the worlds largest draglines in the far right hand side near the top

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPixjCneseE
More info: A documentary is now running on Planet Green here: http://www.coalcountrythemovie.com/trailer_page.html
If you want more info google: Massey Energy, Don Blankenship, Mountain Top Removal. That will get you started and you can judge for yourself.

Yinzer pretty much summed up Pittsburgh...but he failed to mention the Pirates...the BEST minor league team in teh major leagues...farm team for the ones with money.

Thumbs up for Pittsburgh. I've been there twice, my favourite rustbelt city. Lot's of old money. Great museums. Most difficult city to navigate while driving. It's split into 3 sections due to the convergence of the 3 rivers. I've always wanted to visit Kennywood Amusement Park, it's where they filmed Adventureland.

DrJ said:
Thumbs up for Pittsburgh. I've been there twice, my favourite rustbelt city. Lot's of old money. Great museums. Most difficult city to navigate while driving. It's split into 3 sections due to the convergence of the 3 rivers. I've always wanted to visit Kennywood Amusement Park, it's where they filmed Adventureland.
Ahhhh..... So much Burgh love! teeeriffic! Had a great Pittsburgh experience this evening! Drank some King Cool Beers given to me by Donnie Iris himself. Those fom the area know hoa AWESOME that is... And how damn lucky I got. Just happened to be at the bar he hangs at. (I used to work there...) The beers not great, but its good. Also for the Pittsburghers................... I GOTTA FEELING.. finish it off!

Back
Top Bottom