tx650 (xs) or cb550k pros cons etc

neophyteCB450

Been Around the Block
Hello everyone,

My CB450 is down for the count and I am looking for a new bike. I have come across a 73' cb550k and 73' tx650 that both look pretty good. Just wanted to get some info on the two bikes....what would you go with? pros and cons of both bikes, anything model specific I should look out for when I go to check them out (common problems, warning signs etc)?

thanks for your help!

Cheers!

come on...nothing?! One of you guys must have an opinion on this, or have had time with both machines. speak up!

;D Considering the CB550 is my ideal bike, any answer I make may be prejudiced.

the 73 tx650? I have heard that the TX750's in that particular year were a big No NO, beause of the counter balance tensioner they installed in those to avoid engine vibrations but it led to oil starvation at the sump thus wearing bearings out and messing up your engine in the process.

I heard they solved this problem by 1974 but by then it was too late and the damage was done and no one would come near em enough so they stoped making those just after two years.

I don't know anything about the TX650, if it used the same new technology and if it suffered the same issues. But I would do a search if I were you, to make sure that parts are easy to find and afoerdable. I would say go for the CB550

Forget the Yammy. Unless its a model that has some crazy following (which I dont think it does), keeping it running and building something cool with it will be more trouble than its worth. Not to mention, pricey.

The only way to fly...
Old20honda20logo.jpg

the TX650 is in fact an XS650. They changed the model name for 1973/74 then went back to XS.

The XS of course has a HUGE following. I own two ;) I also owned a CB550.

I prefer the XS650 engine for working on, as it's 1/2 the cylinders, 1/2 the carbs. It's a classic twin look and sound, but will vibrate the hell outta you.

Both are EXCELLENT bikes once they're running right. The CB550 will be smoother and probably more comfortable for daily riding / commuting / long distances. But the 650 will be great too, is bulletproof, and has great aftermarket parts availability (www.mikesxs.com).

If you liked your twin 450, buy the 650. If you like the idea of a smoother inline 4, buy the 550.

Gotcha Tim. If the TX is an XS than its a killer bike. Lots of aftermarket support and plenty of parts available. Still like Hondas more, but twins are the way to go.

Learned something new. I knew the TX was only available for 73 and 74 and that on the 750's it had that counter balance aparatus that made those bikes non desireable thus TX was dropped and Yamaha returned with the XS afterwards. But, did the 650's of those years come with the same counter balance junk they put in the 750's?

I love the sound of a well built four. The 550 is more agile than the 750. I wanted one in 78 and couldn't get one. And all the reasons Tim already said. ;D

xulf13 said:
Learned something new. I knew the TX was only available for 73 and 74 and that on the 750's it had that counter balance aparatus that made those bikes non desireable thus TX was dropped and Yamaha returned with the XS afterwards. But, did the 650's of those years come with the same counter balance junk they put in the 750's?

No, the 750 was a totally seperate model that happened to use the same TX designation. It was a DOHC twin, with double counter balancers. Its main problem was its oil sump design and the fact that at higher revs the counterbalancers would aireate the oil causing starvation problems. A friend of mine has a 73 ( in baskets LOL, due to the previously mention problems ) most issues were remedied on the 74's buts it was too late....a Yamaha flop....kinda like early V4 Hondas and thier oiling/cam issues, the buying public stayed clear.

m357.5 said:
No, the 750 was a totally seperate model that happened to use the same TX designation. It was a DOHC twin, with double counter balancers. Its main problem was its oil sump design and the fact that at higher revs the counterbalancers would aireate the oil causing starvation problems. A friend of mine has a 73 ( in baskets LOL, due to the previously mention problems ) most issues were remedied on the 74's buts it was too late....a Yamaha flop....kinda like early V4 Hondas and thier oiling/cam issues, the buying public stayed clear.

There is one of these on craigslist for $800 running. it looks mint. did a google search on it and got what you just mentioned. I passed. LOL

Thanks for the further clarification. :)

I'm a Google search....How close was I, Donny relayed this info to me while we were drinkin a few beer in the garage staring at the milk crates full of unuseable engine remnants LOL.

The XS650 engine's are all the same from 73 or so on. 447 is the start of the serial numbers if I'm correct - they're all 99% identical. In later years they added electronic ignitions and the like, but that was just a different stator and ignition pickup to replace the points.

In 73 or 74 they changed the frames a bit. Steering tube and angle slightly changed, and they added pounds of extra steel bracing to the frame to stiffen it up. Some regard the earlier frames as better handling geometry, and add bracing to them (swingarm area in particular) to reduce flex. Mine is a 72 frame with the bracing added.

Google Minton mods for more info.

All that being said, I still love my old 550 (sold it to buy the BMW) and would love to have one again at some point. You can rebuild the engine in frame (can't do that on the 650 or CB750 or most other bikes), they handle great, are regarded as one of the nicest styled bikes (the early models that looked like the CB500) etc. Great power to weight ratio (better than the CB750 I think).

If you end up rebuilding the engine there are cheap pistons/rings/pins kits out there, and a HUGE community at forums.sohc4.net - my 2nd favorite forum in the world.

So you're safe either way. An XS650 can be made to look really old-school Brit cafe. You won't get that with the 550.

I have to go with tim on this I own a 80 cb400t "hawk"and a 73 tx650. My honda is always there it runs and runs. But I have a soft spot for my tx I built her from a frame and a salvage yard because I wanted a project I could screw up and not worry about it. parts were real cheap now they are very affordable but with the bike gaining in popularity they are becoming harder and harder to find. this is not to say there are not a ton of them.the issue I have with my honda is it's an odd model so some parts are a little harder to find than other honda's out there.

the xs was the most produced japanese bike from 1970 till 1983.

Back
Top Bottom