Need help: What cool older cars do you guys like? Weird question.

woody1981

Coast to Coast
DTT BOTM WINNER
Hey guys. I have an interesting question for you.

I currently drive a 2007 Audi A3 2.0t, 6spd DSG etc. Buy the end of the year I am going to pay off my last credit card, and my student loan. I am thinking that it would be pretty rad to get rid of the car payment for a length of time too. I am considering selling my Audi and purchasing something for cash.

My question is what older cars do you guys think are cool for me to consider. I kinda want something that is kinda in the vein of our cafe bikes... I've considered older Z-cars, VW Beatles and buses and ghias, even something like an early 80's honda civic or accord if I can get one and make it cherry. I'm really open... I just want something that maybe get's overlooked by a lot of people, but in really fantastic shape would be really cool.

I'm just looking for other suggestions of cars to consider. I'm willing to put some work and money into a ride if I can get it for the right deal.

So hit me... what cars have you guys noticed over the years that have a weird "cool" factor.

- Woody

Do you consider 20 years old, old? Honda CRX Si. Always wanted one. Light, fast, handles like a go-cart, and can be built up on the cheap while ya drive it.

13_280_800x600_SalinaDivisional011.jpg

And they look great IMO as well.

Good suggestion. I have a buddy that has one of those and it is pretty freakin' cool. I'm adding that to my list.

- Woody

I had a chance to buy 2 for $500 a couple years ago. One in good shape and a parts car. The seller died and his wife donated them to Goodwill before I could get them though.

No question - BMW 2002. in fact I think I'm gonna have to go buy me one. I've wanted one for 25 years.

S0-Une-BMW-2002-Tii-neuve-52610.jpg

BMW-2002_turbo_1973_photo_01.jpg

7877_1024.jpg

That is a hell of a good suggestion too. I am partial to German cars, I drove a 2000 Passat before my A3... old bimmers do ooze a certain style. - Added to list -

Woody

Tim said:
no question - BMW 2002.

There's one in Toronto for $1700. 1971.... if I had the room I'd be out there looking at it but I just don't have anywhere to put a 2nd car.

Another buddy suggested Datsun 510's... I've been looking at pics. Love 'em. The 2002 is pretty cool too... I'm in the midwest... so buying one in Toronto is a bit out of the question... guess you'll just have to buy it, Tim.

- Woody

Always been a big fan of the early 60s ford falcons too. Still cheap, and super easy to wrench on. Tons of possibilities:

toms63-1.jpg

I would have to agree with Tim. The BMW 2002 is an AWESOME drivers car. I have one, my brother has one, and my dad drove one in college. There are still plenty of places to get aftermarket parts and they are fairly easy to work on! The main thing is rust. Best bet if you are guna get one is look it over very carefully for rust. If you want more info on them, feel free to msg me. I have lots of info on them.

I'm queer for most of the '70s Japanese stuff, first gen preludes can be sweet, but far and above has to be the first gen Celica:
toyota-celica-ra25-morimoto-01.jpg

rays_71_celica_50.jpg

8)

If I could justify a 2 door car right now in my life I'd be on the lookout for one.

Damn. Those Celica's are badass... I'm actually going to look at a '75 BMW 2002 tomorrow morning. It's here locally and has been totally gone through. It's only got 21k on the rebuilt motor by the best BMW shop in the area. It looks really good... we'll see how it goes.

Having owned a Passat before my Audi I think it would be cool to keep my string of German cars going. I also found a pretty badass '67 VW Type 3 I might check out.

This idea is really growing on me and I think if I find the right ride then I'm gonna do it. Keep the ideas coming!

- Woody

My wife told me that my van is not kid approved (we'll have our first in another 6 or so months) and I need a car with a back seat. I've always wanted a convertable which has me eyeing these:

1991.bmw.3series.707-300x189.jpg

I've always wanted one. My mom always wanted one too when I was a kid, she called them "the ultimate tanning machine". The 2002s look a little too spindly to me, I'm into the chunkyness of the 80s and 90s stuff. Good luck on your search, I may be in a similar search soon (mine just has to be a "family car").

Old school skylines are cool...but good luck finding one in the states

All the older Nissan Z cars are cool also

A guy a work has this Corolla

I'm actually really starting to lean toward the BMW 2002's... I've found one here in town that looks to be a great deal. I'm trying to get a time to go look at it... the dude selling and my schedules just haven't jived yet. We'll see.

- Woody

bmw 2002 or a Mini before bmw ruined them. i want a 1380 A+ motor turbocharged one, with the handling to go with. those buggers are fast, and will out corner anything on the road. not a calm ride though.. lemme warn you.

Re: Re: Need help: What cool older cars do you guys like? Weird question.

My dad had a yellow one. These are killer.

83' Suzuki GS450L Bratstyle

Back
Top Bottom