Post a pic of your latest purchase

I'm a member of a forum much like this one but it's for music and is focused on a few related styles of music. There is lots of music discussion there and I discover new music all of the time as a result. The internet has changed everything.

canyoncarver said:
So I did some digging. Spotify does download music but into a DRM ("Digital Rights Management") encrypted format that only the spotify client can read. So that's a big 100% FAIL in my opinion.

Irk, I know you are a music supergeek and I love the online music services for finding new stuff also. I've been a Pandora user off and on for years (in a pinch). I have Prime and I was an Emusic customer for a loong time but finally ditched them when they kept changing their terms of service, etc...

My beef is that if I'm paying for the music, I expect to have an offline copy that I can read with _any_ music player. Then I can put it on a thumbdrive to play in the car, play from my network server at home, etc...

My question is why do you care? I have a Spotify player on my phone, computer, Apple TV, fire stick, most new cars, etc etc why does it make any difference if you have to use their player if it's available on every platform?

And with streaming you're not paying for the music, your playing for the right to use someone else's collection. 10 bucks a month is way cheaper than buying by the song. True you lose it if you stop subscribing but hey you can re-up any time.

To me it's a waste of time and money to own digital music. I own a lot of vinyl and buy a lot of new vinyl to support the bands I like but the majority of my listening is on Spotify.

Just Imo, seems like you're stuck in the day of the MP3.
I had a massive terabyte plus music collection at one point, all gone now since it's all on Spotify whenever I want it and I don't have to store it. The rare stuff or the bands I care about enough to give my hard earned money to directly I have on vinyl

SONIC. said:
My question is why do you care? I have a Spotify player on my phone, computer, Apple TV, fire stick, most new cars, etc etc why does it make any difference if you have to use their player if it's available on every platform?
And with streaming you're not paying for the music, your playing for the right to use someone else's collection. 10 bucks a month is way cheaper than buying by the song. True you lose it if you stop subscribing but hey you can re-up any time.
To me it's a waste of time and money to own digital music. I own a lot of vinyl and buy a lot of new vinyl to support the bands I like but the majority of my listening is on Spotify.
Just Imo, seems like you're stuck in the day of the MP3.
I had a massive terabyte plus music collection at one point, all gone now since it's all on Spotify whenever I want it and I don't have to store it. The rare stuff or the bands I care about enough to give my hard earned money to directly I have on vinyl

Sonic, you make some valid points from your own perspective. Mine is a bit different. I don't consider it a waste of time or space to store digital content that I've collected. I do use some "cloud" services but never as a replacement for my own local data backups. Perhaps I'm stuck in the past but I grew up listening to music without the internet and I don't think I fit the average internet user demographic. I'm a glorified "internet plumber" in my day job so I know in ridiculous detail how fragile the internet and its apps can be and especially how it all works under the hood. Apps are minimized GUI's (graphical user interfaces)that are a facade in front of the real data. I'm used to and strongly prefer accessing real data, not what some developer and sales team decide that I get to see. I also run Linux on all my PC's, not Windows or Mac stuff so support for streaming clients on Linux clients is often "good luck". Yes spotify has Linux clients but they are not official clients and from the forums, it has numerous problems. Just because it's available on Android and Ios, doesn't really solve my problems. It still means you have to have an "app" for it. That's just annoying to me. Both my main vehicles have USB ports for the audio systems, I dig that very much. Unlocking my phone, monkeying with an app, connecting bluetooth every time you start the car, etc...... just screw that... I guess I'm a curmudgeon .

[edit], I'm only this way about music and a few other data types, with tv and movies I could care less, I only stream those.

canyoncarver said:
Sonic, you make some valid points from your own perspective. Mine is a bit different. I don't consider it a waste of time or space to store digital content that I've collected. I do use some "cloud" services but never as a replacement for my own local data backups. Perhaps I'm stuck in the past but I grew up listening to music without the internet and I don't think I fit the average internet user demographic. I'm a glorified "internet plumber" in my day job so I know in ridiculous detail how fragile the internet and its apps can be and especially how it all works under the hood. Apps are minimized GUI's (graphical user interfaces)that are a facade in front of the real data. I'm used to and strongly prefer accessing real data, not what some developer and sales team decide that I get to see. I also run Linux on all my PC's, not Windows or Mac stuff so support for streaming clients on Linux clients is often "good luck". Yes spotify has Linux clients but they are not official clients and from the forums, it has numerous problems. Just because it's available on Android and Ios, doesn't really solve my problems. It still means you have to have an "app" for it. That's just annoying to me. Both my main vehicles have USB ports for the audio systems, I dig that very much. Unlocking my phone, monkeying with an app, connecting bluetooth every time you start the car, etc...... just screw that... I guess I'm a curmudgeon .

To each their own man, that makes sense as well. I guess I'm just used to it at this point.
I used to be similar, linux, rooted phones, etc etc but these days I just stopped caring and really enjoy all my stable nonconfigurable crap :D
It's just second nature to me now to pull my phone out and click spotify and plug it into the aux port whenever I get in.

So who bought something new? Enough sidetrack lol

SONIC. said:

Lol, good call.. I just bought a 32gb micro SD for a Raspberry Pi to play music off my external hard drive for my other shop. Does that count?

SONIC. said:

I don't speak none of y'alls fancy music/ internet lingo.

But I did buy a d.i.d. x ring chain for the 525 to 520 conversion on the dr650
0407758f223b805c436fb8f26affba85.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I was given this mill, the catch being it's in Toronto in my friends art gallery until I can get there to pick it up.

AYe7Tsg.jpg

It needs linear rails, a XY saddle, a spindle and carriage, steppers, ballscrews and nuts, and an enclosure and stand. I have a controller already that is appropriate for controlling it. Lot's of work ahead, hell, I have to renew my passport to pick it up, but for free I couldn't pass it up.

Yeah, I've been working on a spread sheet with parts for it. It's going to be at least $3k to get it running. To buy something comparable would be nearly three times as much though.

Sav0r said:
I was given this mill, the catch being it's in Toronto in my friends art gallery until I can get there to pick it up.

AYe7Tsg.jpg

It needs linear rails, a XY saddle, a spindle and carriage, steppers, ballscrews and nuts, and an enclosure and stand. I have a controller already that is appropriate for controlling it. Lot's of work ahead, hell, I have to renew my passport to pick it up, but for free I couldn't pass it up.

Yikes that is a project.
You'd likely do better to find a used one with more parts than to buy parts outright.
What is it exactly?

canyoncarver said:
I don't consider it a waste of time or space to store digital content that I've collected.
For the record: every time you stream an artist's song, they get paid. So, for the artist, it's more of a financial benefit for them when you stream music. Depending on the platform, that payment can be anywhere from .02 cents up to 35 cents per stream.

I have only ever made personal copies of my purchased LPs, cassettes, and CDs. I keep a master copy on my backup hard drive (ever since I lost 50+ albums I recorded with my old Windows 95 DAK software & interface), another copy on my laptop "Temp\music" folder, and yet another copy on my USB chip that goes with me in my truck.

I'm not into buying one song at a time, streaming music, or buying somebody's pirated copy of an album.

Lots of the music I listen to is by dead people, and their families are mostly rich anyway; they don't need my 35 cents.

SONIC. said:
Yikes that is a project.
You'd likely do better to find a used one with more parts than to buy parts outright.
What is it exactly?

It's a Novakon NM145, a now out of production mill, but it's similar to many import mills. It doesn't have a large bed or particularly large work area, but it is rather stout for it's size.

I don't see it as a particularly hard project, money will be the biggest issue. I already did the conversion on my current mill, and I did that without a mill. Some things are already started with this mill, it originally had ways. Once it was totally warn out it was partially converted to linear rails but the owner never finished the project. Given that I have a CNC mill, I should be able to make a number of the parts myself. BT30 spindles are pretty common, though I may go some other route, but even if I go BT30 I can get a 10k spindles for less than $1000. I'm thinking I'll do a 3-5hp spindle motor, probably brushless DC. My current mill is 8k, so I wouldn't mind going for 10k on this one. Beyond that it's just going to be a lot of measuring and patient setup to get it nice and square. As for ball screws, that's no problem, I will source 5 tpi screws, double nuts, AC bearings, and machine brackets for them and the steppers.

Spotify absolutely pays terrible. Other streaming services do better, but albums and concert tickets pay the best.

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2018/01/16/streaming-music-services-pay-2018/
http://musically.com/2017/01/17/new-figures-show-per-stream-payouts-from-spotify-apple-music-youtube-and-more/

Sav0r said:
Spotify absolutely pays terrible. Other streaming services do better, but albums and concert tickets pay the best.

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2018/01/16/streaming-music-services-pay-2018/
http://musically.com/2017/01/17/new-figures-show-per-stream-payouts-from-spotify-apple-music-youtube-and-more/
Actually, that's not true. Labels loan bands money with an expected return. It's not uncommon for bands to fail indebted to the label because their tours didn't sell enough, or they didn't move enough sales. On top of that, labels will decide not to push a record for a number of reasons that often have nothing to do with the band itself. Very rarely does a band get rich off of one album. Most don't make a dime of their own money until the second or third release. The huge star that blows up is rare.

I'm entrenched in the jam band market where a lot of bands make the majority of their money on live shows, so perhaps I have a biased outlook.

Back
Top Bottom