71 Indignant CB175 - Complete (w/ pics)!!!

Re: 71 Indignant CB175

Part 12 is a shaft that rides in the frame holes inside the 4 flanged bushings. I never removed the bushings or those two shafts. I put it back together using that diagram. Thanks for the input though, I will tear it apart here sometime and make sure I have everything, I could be as simple as making sure all the contact points are free of paint or adding a washer.

Got some things done today. Took apart the swingarm and adjusted things. It moves easily now but still has some resistance. I think its due to the side brackets, so I may have to mess around with them.

Got around to mounting the tank. Had to make front mounts myself for the CB450 tank. It went well until I got to putting on the rubber bumpers. The 450 frame must have been skinnier, since I had to cut the stock bumpers in half, which didn't go very well. But I got them on and the tank is sturdy for the most part.
img_0742.jpg

img_0743.jpg

img_0744.jpg

img_0745.jpg

And something shiny and new...well, new to me.
img_0746.jpg

More free enjoyment!

I cut off the busted, rusted muffler, and cleaned up the pipes with sandpaper then painted them. Yes, its a high temp paint, and flat black...well its supposed to be flat black.
img_0748.jpg

img_0747.jpg

img_0749.jpg

I also got a quote on powder coating the wheels and hubs, and I think I'll save $150 and just paint them myself...so I removed the bearings today and started to clean them up.

Excellent job mounting that tank! I like the threaded rod through the frame trick - perfect for gents like me who don't like their current tank but don't have a welder. Also, how rusted was that CL175 muffler? Would you be willing to part with it?

Get out your popcorn...

12 hours straight of cleaning, prepping, and painting, and I have the engine drying.

img_0769.jpg

img_0770.jpg

img_0771.jpg

After it all cures, I will start the rebuild. I am getting new rings and will hone the cylinders. Just a question on the honing...how can you tell what RPM your standard Craftsman drill is running at...? This video says don't exceed 1200RPM for a chainsaw cylinder...

http://youtu.be/u9mZClv5Nfo

SeekingZero said:
Just a question on the honing...how can you tell what RPM your standard Craftsman drill is running at...? This video says don't exceed 1200RPM for a chainsaw cylinder...

Could you hook up the drill to you bikes tachometer via its cable? (ratios?) idea only? ???
If the drill dosen't have variable speed, it should say on its label max rpm?

Thanks for the idea. I think that may be too involved though. ;D

My drill has RPM ranges of 0-440 / 0-1600 rpm, low and high, respectively. So, I think if I dial in a mid range number in high, I should get around 800 RPM.

If anyone has any experience with this, feel free to chime in. ;)

Sneak peak...at the carbs.

They aren't finished yet, but I was so bummed about how voracious the lemon juice was since it started eating the grey "paint" that comes on them factory. I was prepared to mask them off and repaint, so I got out the little dremel wire wheel and went to work prepping and the old finish came right off leaving a nice almost polished aluminum look. Hurray for me. Anyway, here is the difference just a little time with the wire wheel made.

img_0777.jpg

img_0778.jpg

Little update, sorry no pictures this time.

I made great use of my Sunday and got after-cure second coats of paint on all the engine bits, exhaust, and a few other pieces. I took apart the handlebar controls, cleaned them up and painted them. I got some bondo and filled in the emblem mounts on the tank and some other slight dents.

I also finally got around to getting all the bearings and bushings out of the wheel hubs and sent them and the rims off to get powder coated this morning. A nice semi-gloss black. Should have them back in a week. I also got the garage cleaned, and the cages vacuumed and washed!

In preparation of having the wheels back from powder coating, I went ahead and put a coat of aluminum gloss on the spokes. The next day, Jen and I are sitting at Ducati Bike Night talking about the bike, and she tells me she wants the wheels black... :eek: So tonight I got the spokes coated black. The nipples will remain aluminum to give a little contrast.
img_0796.jpg

And here are the semi-glossed rims and hubs.
img_0799.jpg

I also got the carbs finished and back together.
img_0797.jpg

img_0798.jpg

Thanks for watching. Here's another teaser of the engine. ;D
img_0800.jpg

Re: 71 Indignant CB175 - Engine and Wheels in Progress!

Motor and wheel updates.

I got my 'dingleberry' in the mail and got the cylinders honed.
img_0801.jpg

I am in the process of completing the motor tuning now. I just have to do the timing and adjust the valves. Here are a couple photos from assembly. I replaced the old rings with new ones and its a good thing that I did. The old ones didn't slip off the pistons but instead cracked. Every one. A little too brittle for my tastes.
img_0803.jpg

img_0804.jpg

And tonight, the wife and I relaced the wheels. However, I can't true them without bearings...so I've just snugged the nipples and put the wheels in a dark corner for a while.
img_0940.jpg

img_0941.jpg

img_0942.jpg

More to come! Thanks for looking.

Re: 71 Indignant CB175 - Engine and Wheels in Progress!

I was going to wait to show these, but I can't keep you guys waiting. So here are the pictures of the engine.

All I have left to do is sand the fins on head and do some detailing.

img_0947.jpg

img_0948.jpg

img_0952.jpg

img_0953.jpg

img_0954.jpg

img_0955.jpg

img_0956.jpg

img_0957.jpg

img_0958.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Re: 71 Indignant CB175 - Engine and Wheels Finished!

The seat-work has begun! After looking at the pictures myself, I do want to do a little more shaving here and there, but otherwise its ready for aluminum tape and fiberglass.

Started with a cardboard cutout of the general dimension.
img_0124.jpg

img_0125.jpg

Added foam florists blocks up to the height I wanted.
img_0126.jpg

img_0127.jpg

Started shaving the bulk off.
img_0128.jpg

Sanding and more sanding. But this stuff is remarkably easy to work with.
img_0131.jpg

img_0132.jpg

img_0133.jpg

img_0134.jpg

img_0135.jpg

More to come. Thanks for looking!

71 Indignant CB175 - Engine and Wheels Finished! Seat-Work Started!

Great build! I like your sense for details!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: 71 Indignant CB175 - Engine and Wheels Finished! Seat-Work Started!

Thanks thewhip!

More seat progress:

I made some finishing touches on the foam, removed the cardboard and etched some holes so the seat would sit lower and a little tighter to the frame to make sure it was the height I wanted it, then began taping.

img_0136.jpg

I grabbed some old tubing I had and taped it down as an outline for the seat-pan. Hopefully this will make the pan fit snug once upholstered and add to the lines of the seat.
img_0137.jpg

img_0139.jpg

The whole seat is going to have a lip on it that comes down on the frame about an inch or so, almost even with the bottom lines on the tank. I have also made it wide enough to utilize the stock hinges and seat lock, which is why I never shaved those off when prepping the frame.
img_0140.jpg

Fiberglassing is next, though I don't know when I'll get to that.

Re: 71 Indignant CB175 - Engine and Wheels Finished! Seat-Work Started!

So I am looking into bars for this bike, and I want it to be comfortable, not "fashionable". So I am thinking of going with superbike bars, instead of clubmans, and retaining the stock footrests and levers.

Does anyone have experience with superbike bars who could give me a run down?

For clarification: These

Back
Top Bottom