CAFE CREME - BOARD.....TRACKER

beachcomber said:
Thanx for the input ..... yes well pleased with the outcome. I just have to get the parts made now . That means CALLING IN FAVOURS - or paying top dollar.

I had contemplated rising rate as you suggest - but to be honest a Boardtracker is never going to win any races around the twisty bits ! It's really the overall "look" I'm going for. I would have given a testicle or two for the Motobecane banana forks - but not to be. I'm fortunate inasmuch as I'm totally familiar with the RAMSHOX [ my baby ] and will have an adequate range [ more than ] of adjustability. Another stroke of good fortune - the Honda XLR250 wheel spindle is only a gnat's bigger than the fixing in the Bantam fork bottom. Literally a quick wipe with a round file and job done. Oh, except the spindle has to be shortened by about 3" and re-threaded. Even the brake anchor aligns with the Bantam mount !

BTW - the rubber mounts at the top will be ditched and mounted solid. The Bantam forks are now stripped and cleaned ready for primer. I'll shorten them by 2" [ from the "kitchen" mock up ] by simply shortening the springs. I'm also going to fit 2 additional bushes per leg [ 4 in total ] as even with the brace effect of the front springer element, they're still only going to be "adequate". Still looking for a scrap Bantam frame [ just the headstock will do ] my Brit mates. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_1440.JPG
    IMG_1440.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 657
  • IMG_1441.JPG
    IMG_1441.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 657
If it's any help TJ, there's a few on ebay, this being the cheapest....... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Bantam-Super-Cub-Frame-Loop/162875630344?epid=26010509433&hash=item25ec24e308:g:8ToAAOSwUn9aHVL6

semmins said:
If it's any help TJ, there's a few on ebay, this being the cheapest....... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Bantam-Super-Cub-Frame-Loop/162875630344?epid=26010509433&hash=item25ec24e308:g:8ToAAOSwUn9aHVL6

thats a hell of a rake on that frame, is that stock or further evidence of the amount of good acid round in england in the 60s

semmins said:

Many thanx - that one will do. The only problem is I'm not familiar with the interchangeability of the various year forks. The D1 steering stem looks particularly undernourished !! I just missed out on exactly what I needed - there was a guy in Norfolk selling a front end frame ! Someone beat me to it - and he only wanted £20 for it !

Spotty .... I thought that might be due to the angle of the pic - but I've looked at some others and they DO appear to have Chopper type rake !

i can just see it now, all them Post Office chopper dudes, cruising the mean streets of post war britain, knees in the wind and a cup of tea in the thermos

spotty said:
i can just see it now, all them Post Office chopper dudes, cruising the mean streets of post war britain, knees in the wind and a cup of tea in the thermos

One of our local [ Dagenham ] Telegram delivery boys [ Red Bantams ] was well known in the neighborhood and went on to be a reasonably successful short circuit racer ! I regret to say I can't recall his name, but watching him on the streets of Dagenham was awesome .... especially when you consider what he was riding !

When the service was ended you could pick up one of the Bantams for between five and ten shillings !!

There seemed to be a time when everyone had at least one old Bantam in the shed / bottom of the garden. Where are they now !!!

i heard years ago that the modern sport of mx can trace its roots back to the 20s in france. the story goes that the post office delivery riders would hit the paddocks behind the post office after they'd done their deliveries and fun turned to timed fun over a pre-described circuit which turned into challenges to neighbouring post offices

A bit more progress on the forks. The POC mock up has been completed - and YES it will work ! Pix self explanatory. There will be a plate on the top yoke for the pin RAMSHOX unit fitting and there will be a decorative plate added to the top of the "Springer" loop [ see green garden hose stand in ] with the mount bracket for the shock bottom mount. The forks are shown 1" shorter than stock, and with pre-load / sag that will reduce to about 2". My pal Brian has fettled the fork legs so that the Honda wheel spindle slots straight in - just needs shortening and re-threading.

I wasn't keen on the "look" of the Mitas rear tyre [ 3.50 x 18" ] when it arrived - looked far too modern - so I've just ordered a 3.50 x 18" H03 TT 59P - we'll see.

Attachments

• H03.jpg
    H03.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 481
  • cafe creme 016.jpg
    cafe creme 016.jpg
    798.6 KB · Views: 370
  • cafe creme 014.jpg
    cafe creme 014.jpg
    791.8 KB · Views: 381
  • cafe creme 012.jpg
    cafe creme 012.jpg
    648.6 KB · Views: 373
  • cafe creme 010.jpg
    cafe creme 010.jpg
    654.2 KB · Views: 372
  • cafe creme 009.jpg
    cafe creme 009.jpg
    773.2 KB · Views: 383
Oh my, I'm feeling that stirring within my Y fronts that only an awesome bike build can bring. I'm in!

Thanx for the encouragement Limey. I managed to get a headstock from a guy in Ireland - so that will save me £80 or so having one made ! Once the forks are "free standing" I'll mock up the forks into the new headstock and see where I want the frame tubes to be. It's at times like these that I wish my welding was better than the "bird shit" variety ! ::)

I now have all the new / refurb parts for the forks - bushes, seals, fork nuts, new [ !! ] springs, etc.,etc. but there'll be a full mock up first. I've decided to save myself some money and spray the components. definitely some sort of Coffee Cream for the cycle parts with Cream highlights - maybe wheels [ as the chrome / alloy is very good ] but definitely the engine [ yes ], handlebars and probably tank - IF I decide to spray rather than keep the 100 + year old patina.

Final leg of the POC mock up. The RAMSHOX unit will fit snugly in here. Alloy plate - nicely machined if I can - to support the top pin and bolted through the threaded locating holes.

Attachments

• KZ750 sept 2017 007.jpg
    KZ750 sept 2017 007.jpg
    875.5 KB · Views: 365
  • KZ750 sept 2017 008.jpg
    KZ750 sept 2017 008.jpg
    518.3 KB · Views: 364
Final position for shock - all measured up now and bend ordered for the front springer hoop. Honda spindle measured up to be shortened and re-threaded.

Attachments

• KZ750 sept 2017 018.jpg
    KZ750 sept 2017 018.jpg
    668.8 KB · Views: 367
My pal Brian [ build buddy ] is now obsessed with having Brass highlights - nuts etc. he's just finished the template for the top yoke cover - in 3 mm Brass ! I'm trying to find someone who can etch in "Cafe Creme" 8)

BTW - the fact that the holes are obviously out of line is NOT Brian - but the good old factory workers at BSA ! ::)

Attachments

• IMG_1491.JPG
    IMG_1491.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 853
Last few pieces of the forks jigsaw. The Bantam headstock [ £10 ] and the 5/8" weld bungs and clevis' for the springer loop.

Attachments

• bantam forks 002.jpg
    bantam forks 002.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 399
The special RAMSHOX unit now mounted and functioning as I envisaged. ;D Good to have mates eh !! ;) The springer hoop should be here this week so the front end design can be finalised.

Both Mitas "period" tyres have arrived now and the old knobblies removed from the wheels - decision made they will be powder coated - Buttercream. Just trying to get the right "flavour" for the contrasting Coffee Cream colour !

Attachments

• IMG_1506 (1).JPG
    IMG_1506 (1).JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 919
  • IMG_1507.JPG
    IMG_1507.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 930
  • H03.jpg
    H03.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 915
I'm thinking of getting the La Francaise Diamant tank reproduced in ETHANOL PROOF fibreglass. Originally it was a back up plan in case the real one ever got damaged, but I've had 2 people interested. I would need to get interest in 5 so I can get an accurate quote.

Attachments

• Picture 068.jpg
    Picture 068.jpg
    664 KB · Views: 358
  • Picture 058.jpg
    Picture 058.jpg
    574.1 KB · Views: 353
Finally got the old fork bushes out ... what a mission ::). All ready for re-assembly with the new bushes now. The springer hoop arrived this morning and I've done the final POC mock up - all seems OK. The weld bungs just need a gnat's out of the bore to be a good press fit on the hoop prior to welding. It's a mad rush now to get as much done before my pal is off to the US for 3 months.

Attachments

• bantam forks 006.jpg
    bantam forks 006.jpg
    659.9 KB · Views: 361
FINALLY DID A POC MOCK UP WITH THE KZ MOCK UP ENGINE ............................. just doesn't have the right period look I'm after. Anyway, up pops a 250cc Virago complete bike on E-Bay for the right money. All up and running with a long MOT [ Test ]. I've worked out that even conservatively I can sell off all the bits I don't need and end up with all the bits I need as freebies ! This is a German built 125 Virago to give you an idea.

Attachments

• img169.jpg
    img169.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 361
  • img172.jpg
    img172.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 371
I've been wanting to do a boardtracker with one of those little 125/250 Vtwins for a while now.

Back
Top Bottom