3DogNate's '05 H-D Sportster Scrambler build - AKA "Project Dual-Sportster"

The weather today is perfect for me to paint outside... (the only option I have unfortunately.) So I took the day off work and built some painting fixtures from some cheap Harbor Frieght work tables ($14 each for Insiders ;)) I just laid down the first round of clear coat. I'll do at least 2 more clear coat sessions on it and that'll be more than plenty to be able to cut and buff out the finish to look amazing. I think this burnt orange color is going to fit with the powder coat colors nicely.

Really is nice. Growing up, my old man painted all of his cars in the back yard. These were some pretty sweet hotrods, too. He's always made me feel okay about it.

Thank guys... I'm gonna do some matte black vinyl decaling on it to kinda re-enforce the tactical look... I've got a couple of other goodies cooking too that I've yet to reveal. I've got to place a couple of orders to see if it's going to work... my short ass rear fender might not work with my idea. But i'm gonna have to spend money to see. (Which annoys me)

BUT I should be able to get the tins buffed out and reinstalled and the tail-light wiring and tank plumbing done by next weekend. If I don't dick around I might even be able to get the thing started and ride-able.

That's burnt orange, from what manufacturer?

I'm planning on painting mine burnt orange, just wondering if the color I have is the same.

Looks sweet.

WhyNot said:
That's burnt orange, from what manufacturer?

I'm planning on painting mine burnt orange, just wondering if the color I have is the same.

Looks sweet.
It's Chrysler PV6 (Sunburst Orange)

I'm in the buffing stage now. I have the fenders and side covers done. I'll work on the tank tomorrow night but here's a little preview.

Gotcha ;)

Re: 3DogNate's '05 H-D Sportster Scrambler build - AKA "Project Dual-Sportster"

trek97 said:
Wow bud, looking spectacular. 8)

What are you using for buffing?
Wet sanding with a flexible block from 800 through 2000 grit wet/dry and polishing on a 14” pedestal buffer with Menzerna dry compounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made some custom flat black decals last night to start tying the paint and powder together. I got the underside of the fenders done up with some undercoating and the wiring started on the rear fender... I'll get that squared away tonight and get started on the tank Wed.

3DogNate said:
I'm in the buffing stage now. I have the fenders and side covers done. I'll work on the tank tomorrow night but here's a little preview.

Gotcha ;)
Ha...sure did and made me laugh.

Quick update. I've got the tins all polished out and decals installed. Tail light is wired, petcock and choke are hooked up. Just need to clean the garage, make sure the chain is tensioned and run down a check for loose bolts/nuts. Then I can put some fuel in it and turn it over.

I did a little garage clean up last night and got the bike off the lift... The bike leans over way too far on the side stand even with the 1" extended stand. I'm going to have to lengthen and modify the stop on the stand to make the side stand right.

And a copy of my remaining punch list items.

Back
Top Bottom