'76 CB550F Survivor: Preservation vs. Restoration

Just checked the brake hoses....still soft, supple and like new, but with a date code of 7/75 (upper) and 3/75 (lower). I think it would be a smart move to replace them.

I just ordered some genuine Honda parts: fuel line, breather hoses, brake caliper seal (in case this one is leaking and that's why the paint on the caliper holder is flaking a little), drain plug washers, etc.
I already have carb O-rings and seats on the way. It shouldn't take much to get this one sorted.

I'm a big fan of the Pamco, but this bike starts instantly, even on old gas, and idles well. I thought about getting a Pamco and covering the wires with the cloth covering to disguise them.

What about tires? I do plan on riding this bike. I'm not a real canyon carver...you won't see me dragging any pegs.
Would you go with some nice modern tires, or something similar to what came on the bike? My GF just put a set of these Duro tires on her CB400F and loves them. The shop said they balanced very nicely and easily. Great vintage look.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CB350-CB350F-CB360-CB400F-KZ400-XS400-GS400-DURO-RIBBED-FRONT-REAR-TIRE-/370887546385?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item565a9ed611&vxp=mtr

Sirius Con. also has some tires for the 550, though I'm leaning toward modern tires at the moment.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CB450-CL450-CB500T-CB500F-CB500-CB550-K-CB500F-DURO-FRONT-AND-REAR-TIRE-/130963601877?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7e09f9d5&vxp=mtr

Another "What should I do?".... The black paint is flaking off the Honda emblems.

I did go over the tank with some Meguire's 3 step cleaner/polish/wax. And a little chrome polish on the chrome. The aluminum still needs attention.

Hmmm.....could this be the original air filter?

Why, Yes...I bet it is. Still in like new condition. The cotton is still soft!

Worked on the bent/floppy LH turn signal. Actually have it straighter than the RH side now! I worked on the RH side a little, too. Not quite perfect, but certainly better than they were.

Went ahead an pulled the carbs today.

Yeah...that's probably why it wasn't running at 100%. They actually weren't that bad, with #1 being the worst.

A Simple Green and water bath, some carb cleaner, a little elbow grease...

The jets, emulsion tubes, slides and various other parts are soaking in a bucket of Berryman's until tomorrow. I'm waiting on new O-rings and needle valves/seats to show up for reassembly.

This is my first F bike; all the others have been K models. What's up with this?

And what's this bracket for?

Thanks, but those aren't decals....they're the Honda badges. They're gold with a black background and the black paint is flaking off. I've restored a few sets before, but it's best to take them off the tank and that's difficult to do without bending them a little.
I may try taping up around them, spraying the background, and then wiping off the raised portion.

The decals on the tank and side covers are A-OK.

I see what you mean now. In the picture it looked like the "u" in the super sport decal was flaking.

Oh...well....actually, you're right. There is a tiny piece missing, but I'm not gonna repaint the tank just for that.

EvapoRust worked just fine on the tank! I threw in a few "tumbling stones" that I've had from an old job and shook, rotated and let it sit, turning it every now and then. Dumped it out, rinsed, poured in some denatured alcohol, dumped that out, then air dried and let it sit in the sun before adding a few ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil to coat it.

This explains why trash was getting into the carbs: broken fuel filter.

Luckily, I had a spare, good filter that was on a leaky petcock (these '76 only petcocks were a faulty design and Honda replaced them the next year). Swapped it over and now I won't need to run inline filters. Clean carbs, clean tank, clean filter, new lines, all good!

Got the carbs back on today. I hope to fire her up soon so I can set the timing and synch the carbs.

I also went over the clutch cover with some 320 grit and a few different grades of Skotch Brite pads, followed by 0000 steel wool and aluminum polish.
The little end cover I'm holding is an NOS piece .... I'd say my finish is pretty close! It's not perfect, seeing as I did it on the bike, but it's not OVER restored, either.

I'll do the sprocket cover and alternator cover soon, too. I'll probably just pull the forks when I have the new tires mounted and give them the same treatment, as well as some fresh fork oil.
I am NOT looking forward to doing the tappet covers, though!

That cover looks beauty! I love a mirror polish as much as the next guy but you're setting a good bar for the level of finish for this bike (seeing as you'll likely be riding it quite a bit). Well done.

Polished up the side covers, tappet covers, etc., and touched up the flaking paint with some VHT silver and a foam brush.

Before:

After:

Took her outside today for some fresh pics. I still have to touch up the forks in the same manner.
I checked the timing and synched the carbs and took her for a spin, too! Runs GREAT!

A quick video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGYJX_SGlMc

GRRR!!...
The bike runs great, but I'm having an issue with fuel coming from one of the overflows when the petcock is on and bike isn't running. There's also a slight hanging idle issue.

Usually, that indicates a lean condition, but everything seems OK. I'm wondering if I have the float heights off and it's actually fuel overflowing into the carbs, making the idle rise and fall?

I've done the full 3K mile tune up and the carbs were cleaned and new O-rings installed on the main jets. I installed new needle/seat valves (or fuel valves, as some people call them).
My local carb guy is going to take a look at it for me this weekend. He prefers the original fuel valves, and these are very low mileage, so maybe I'll install new O-rings on them and re-set the float height.

So very close..... :mad:

Back
Top Bottom