My CB450 "No Class!" (Here we go again)

So after SEVERAL hours of searching build threads on CB450's I found my current inspiration in p71sohc post of a CR450 that was at a shop where he took his 450...

p71sohc said:
as promised here is that cool track bike.

So that lead to another search of CR450 images. Found Airtech makes a repo tank and seat, but by the time you add $100 to the order for the race tank epoxy coated for street fuel, to me that is BIG MONEY! Also not big on a full fairing but looky these!

DSC00420.jpg

japan_cr450.jpg

Last night I started the disassembly of the head. Very interesting design on these engines!
I noticed there were no shims on the intake cam on either side, first cam follower on that end looked perfect! The second a little worn. Then moved onto the exhaust side, two shims, one on each end of that cam. The followers there looked more worn with one being pretty dished. The cam lobes however didn't appear too bad, the one that had the worst follower a lttle worn perhaps, but not galled at all. Guess I need to break out the mics and verify the service limits... ::) So for now everything is carefully bagged-n-tagged per assembley and per side. Next comes removing the valves and checking the seats and guides. Going to clean up the combustion chambers as much as possible before removing the valves so as to not nic the seats.

Those CR's are some sexy machines........

I know a couple people did it, but what about extending the rear of a steel tank with glass? Would give the look of a CR tank but give you a space to hide electronics and stuff.

Yep. I think Bradswn did it with fiberglass and Sean at RocCity did it with aluminum (of course).

Hit a major snag with this build. One of the PO's must have left it outside with the jugs off because the engine appears to have set half full of water. There is a definate rust line from about 1/2 way down on the Primary gears behind the oil filter and the clutch housing. The clutch pack was one solid mass of rust. and the oil pump is siezed. The rust line passed JUST below the side bearing for the Crank but then into the lowest section of the bearing for the Trans, That bearing being shot doesn't worry me as much as now I know in made it's way INSIDE.

I'm still trying to find a 16mm fine thread bolt that I can use to pull the charging systems rotor off the crank to continue with the disassembly of the engine, but I just know everything inside is probably rusted. So it is either going to be a LOOOOOONG term project or get parted out. Not going to do anything rash just yet. I am keeping my eyes open for another engine. But then, the fork tubes on this one are friggin toast and for the price of those to items alone, I'd be ahead to buy a different bike. Hopefully another 450 comes along that I can snag it up cheap, get what I need and sell off the rest to try and make one out of two... Ahhhh the joys of old bike builds. ;D

You should see the carnage I found in mine HD, It's messed up enough I went looking for another bottom end practically. To go with the newer TOP end. ;D

On getting the rotor off, an axle from another bike may work, I used the axle off my 360 to get it off. Might look into it... ;)

If you part it out lemme know, I'll prolly get a bunch of stuff from ya.

Just be careful if you improvise a slide hammer with an axle and a sledgehammer head like I did...

6554938f.jpg

Cafe Redneck said:
If I've told you once, I've told you a 100 times. Use the right tool for the job ;D . Ouch!!! I feel your pain.

Hahahaha yeah... that's what you get when you give it "one more shot for good luck"... I'm sure my thumb will be normal again one day... ::)

That finger makes me cringe everytime I see it.
- Haven't given up on the engine yet, but if I do part it out I will keep ALL the DTTers aware as I know some of the items are getting to be "not so common".

Hoosier Daddy said:
That finger makes me cringe everytime I see it.
- Haven't given up on the engine yet, but if I do part it out I will keep ALL the DTTers aware as I know some of the items are getting to be "not so common".

It's my "constant reminder" when I'm doing stuff like that HD... just have to rub my finger over the ball of my thumb to remember... hahaha

Just an update to explain why there has been no updates.
I have been working 6-7 day weeks due to Corporate pulling 6 presses out of my workplace. I am the Maintenance Supervisor and not only oversee my Department but also outside contractors involved with the moves. Not only is there 65-70 hour weeks... and I am salary... but the underlying fear they may be planning to close my Plant..
4 weeks ago my other Hobby took a bad turn. I am a fish keeper and the heater stuck "on" in my 180 gallon aquarium. Killing ALL of my prized Mbuna (Google it). So after flushing about 45 half cooked fish, and cleaning a dead tank, then restocking... the new fish broke out with a case of Ich! (Google it).
My Wifey has been cooking all my favorite meals trying to get me out of the depression (bless her heart) but nothing seems to make it better. So tonight I said "ef-it" and decided I need some shop time... Bought a 40, turned on th tunes and had at it.
Got the head studs out by double nutting the studs without incident and then separated the case haves on the engine.
RUST! everything is covered with RUST!!!
I swear when it rains it pours. I plan to continue my search for a good donor bike for this project. And felt pretty good to get back at it, even with yet another setback.

Hoosier Daddy said:
I'm still trying to find a 16mm fine thread bolt that I can use to pull the charging systems rotor off the crank to continue with the disassembly of the engine, but I just know everything inside is probably rusted.

Not necessary to remove rotor from crank to split the cases.

Hoosier Daddy said:
Just an update to explain why there has been no updates.
I have been working 6-7 day weeks due to Corporate pulling 6 presses out of my workplace. I am the Maintenance Supervisor and not only oversee my Department but also outside contractors involved with the moves. Not only is there 65-70 hour weeks... and I am salary... but the underlying fear they may be planning to close my Plant..
4 weeks ago my other Hobby took a bad turn. I am a fish keeper and the heater stuck "on" in my 180 gallon aquarium. Killing ALL of my prized Mbuna (Google it). So after flushing about 45 half cooked fish, and cleaning a dead tank, then restocking... the new fish broke out with a case of Ich! (Google it).
My Wifey has been cooking all my favorite meals trying to get me out of the depression (bless her heart) but nothing seems to make it better. So tonight I said "ef-it" and decided I need some shop time... Bought a 40, turned on th tunes and had at it.
Got the head studs out by double nutting the studs without incident and then separated the case haves on the engine.
RUST! everything is covered with RUST!!!
I swear when it rains it pours. I plan to continue my search for a good donor bike for this project. And felt pretty good to get back at it, even with yet another setback.

Wow when it rains it really does pour right? I live by O'Rielly's law...

Very sucky but things do tend to sort themselves out... so hopefully all will either return to normal or morph into something awesome very soon :D

Fingers crossed you'll find yourself a donor parts bike or engine soon and can get moving right along...

Bad news for sure Hoosier. Hopefully those changes at work are nothing too drastic........

Isn't there some kind of treatment for that Ich? I read into it a long time ago and thought it could either way (destructive or a slight nuisance).

And I think I recall seeing a 450 local to me (Pittsburgh) on craigs........parts only, no title, etc. Interested?

Sucks man.
You need a reef controller with temp probe :/

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom