Honda CGL 125 Mexican Build

Canadian said:
Nice work you've done there. What material did you use for the seat ?

And after you just put the fabric on top of it to dry?

I used a mix between floral foam, sound insulator foam and the original seat pan to give the seat the shape I wanted; then I covered everything with masking tape and waxed it.
To give it the rigidity, I used fiberglass. Theres a pretty good tutorial on how to do it in youtube. Just search for "cafe racer seat" and look for the Dime City Cycles video!

good progress. Im going trough hell since I changed by box filter for a pod as well. I'll be following to see if you solve your problem.

theconjuring said:
good progress. Im going trough hell since I changed by box filter for a pod as well. I'll be following to see if you solve your problem.

I managed to solve the problem without having to re-jet. I added a radiator hose to the carb and connected a foam filter on the other end. The hose makes almost a U turn and the filter ends up being on the other side of the bike (the chain side). It looks kind of weird but it doesnt look bad and it works excellent. My sparkplug has the nicest color of them all!
Let me go grab the camera so I can post a pic...

"theconjuring"
Here's a look at the filter mod. I'll run her that way for now. At the end of the build, I'll try to make her prettier in that department, but she runs quite well!!!

Attachments

• DSC03358.JPG
    DSC03358.JPG
    177.2 KB · Views: 288
  • DSC03359.JPG
    DSC03359.JPG
    228.7 KB · Views: 317
I changed the headlight mounts I made in 15 minutes to something much much better. The headlight is kind of big though, so I will have to modify some stuff for the new mounts to work.
In the pics you can see the almost finished fiberglass seat. I will probably add one more layer just to be sure everything is nice and sturdy. The seat will fit about an inch lower, so it will look much better!

Any suggestions in the color/graphic department?

Cheers,

Juan Fco.

Attachments

• DSC03357.JPG
    DSC03357.JPG
    314 KB · Views: 300
  • DSC03361.JPG
    DSC03361.JPG
    295.9 KB · Views: 2,458
  • DSC03362.JPG
    DSC03362.JPG
    271.7 KB · Views: 315
  • DSC03360.JPG
    DSC03360.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 291
Finally the fiberglass seat is mounted on the bike with the final shape; It turned out great for my first time with fiberglass.
I also adjusted the headlight brackets and started to paint some things, The bike is actually running like a dream! It tops out at around 120 km/h (75 mph) and pops willies (thing I discovered at a traffic light this morning).

Attachments

• DSC03383.JPG
    DSC03383.JPG
    251.2 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC03382.JPG
    DSC03382.JPG
    315.9 KB · Views: 285
  • DSC03380.JPG
    DSC03380.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 1,124
  • DSC03377.JPG
    DSC03377.JPG
    235.8 KB · Views: 302
Weird mileage right?

Attachments

• DSC03388.JPG
    DSC03388.JPG
    309.5 KB · Views: 306
  • DSC03375.JPG
    DSC03375.JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 321
  • DSC03381.JPG
    DSC03381.JPG
    329.3 KB · Views: 304
Highwind said:
is it possible to go into mexico buy these and bring them back to the states?

Probably yes! I know its possible to import bikes (and cars) from the US to Mexico but there are A LOT of requirements for vehicles made outside America (the continent). Sometimes its quite expensive with cars but bikes seem to have less trouble. Good news is that this particular bike is made in Mexico so it should be trouble free.
You should check with "U.S. Customs and Border Protection" if it is possible to legally import these bikes into the US and if it is worth the trouble. If you do, let me know! And if you need help down here, let me know too!

Looking great!
Seriously recommend putting some kind of brace on the forks, even if you just get a second hand mudguard and chop it into a brace shape (keep your original whole). It will make a big difference esp to get the most benefit from your 1" fork drop ;)
I love that box section swinging arm ....... is it standard ........ don't think the CG's in the UK have ever got them. Mine is tubular and flexes too much when pushed to extremes.
So long as you change the oil very regularly, it will run trouble free like a little sewing machine for ever :)

crqcycles said:
Probably yes! I know its possible to import bikes (and cars) from the US to Mexico but there are A LOT of requirements for vehicles made outside America (the continent). Sometimes its quite expensive with cars but bikes seem to have less trouble. Good news is that this particular bike is made in Mexico so it should be trouble free.
You should check with "U.S. Customs and Border Protection" if it is possible to legally import these bikes into the US and if it is worth the trouble. If you do, let me know! And if you need help down here, let me know too!
so was the bike 1150$ USD? or Peso? LOL

honestly if they are a hassle they would be good for parts or actually moving all the components to a clear titled frame you can get easily.

Erskine said:
Looking great!
Seriously recommend putting some kind of brace on the forks, even if you just get a second hand mudguard and chop it into a brace shape (keep your original whole). It will make a big difference esp to get the most benefit from your 1" fork drop ;)
I love that box section swinging arm ....... is it standard ........ don't think the CG's in the UK have ever got them. Mine is tubular and flexes too much when pushed to extremes.
So long as you change the oil very regularly, it will run trouble free like a little sewing machine for ever :)

Whats exactly the function of a fork brace? It prevents the forks from lateral-twisting right? Wouldn't I need something a little bit "bulkier"? I mean a steal or aluminum one (not a mudguard)?
The swing arm is standard! Remember this is a 2012 bike and is sold as a working bike claiming to be "reinforced" on a lot of places. (Probably just the swing arm).
Every other "normal" CG swing arm is tubular but this bike is a weird mix between old international components and new ideas made for the mexican working market. (This bike is normally used as a pizza delivery vehicle)
How often do you change the oil? Is there a special one you recommend?

Cheers and thanks for reading and posting!

Highwind said:
so was the bike 1150$ USD? or Peso? LOL

honestly if they are a hassle they would be good for parts or actually moving all the components to a clear titled frame you can get easily.

The bike costs exactly $14,900 pesos or $1,151 USD (including taxes and everything you need except for the license plates).
This frame appears to be the exact same one as 70's CB 125's so I believe every part is compatible with CG / CB 125 frames.

I'll leave you a link to the Honda web page: http://www.honda.mx/motos/tool/

Thanks for reading and posting!

Highwind said:
oh man the engines are OHV (overhead valve) no good :(

Mate ........... these OHV engines are frikin awesome, they just don't get exported to the states because the US is so fuel rich.
These engine produce way more torque than the OHC, will go to the moon and back on a tank full of low grade petrol and can be mended with a spoon and some brown paper. Run with a square bore (150cc) they are truly incredible for the size. They are quite good stroked to 200cc but tuners prefer the 150cc because it revs up better.
In the UK they are the engine swap of choice for serious classic trials competitors because they knock the OHC engine for a six.
They also have a close ratio gear box that only has one cog different to the TL (2nd)
Half of the world depends on this engine as a primary source of transport.
I would have the CG over the CB every day of the week.

Thanks for the explanation, Erskine. I would find it hard to believe that Honda would put out a crap engine. Their OHV engine is probably the pinnacle of the technology.

Erskine said:
Mate ........... these OHV engines are frikin awesome, they just don't get exported to the states because the US is so fuel rich.
These engine produce way more torque than the OHC, will go to the moon and back on a tank full of low grade petrol and can be mended with a spoon and some brown paper. Run with a square bore (150cc) they are truly incredible for the size. They are quite good stroked to 200cc but tuners prefer the 150cc because it revs up better.
In the UK they are the engine swap of choice for serious classic trials competitors because they knock the OHC engine for a six.
They also have a close ratio gear box that only has one cog different to the TL (2nd)
Half of the world depends on this engine as a primary source of transport.
I would have the CG over the CB every day of the week.

Nice to know all that bro! Thanks!

jdub said:
Thanks for the explanation, Erskine. I would find it hard to believe that Honda would put out a crap engine. Their OHV engine is probably the pinnacle of the technology.

Easy there Jdub! Not everyone can have a CB500!

crqcycles said:
Whats exactly the function of a fork brace? It prevents the forks from lateral-twisting right? Wouldn't I need something a little bit "bulkier"? I mean a steal or aluminum one (not a mudguard)?
The swing arm is standard! Remember this is a 2012 bike and is sold as a working bike claiming to be "reinforced" on a lot of places. (Probably just the swing arm).
Every other "normal" CG swing arm is tubular but this bike is a weird mix between old international components and new ideas made for the mexican working market. (This bike is normally used as a pizza delivery vehicle)
How often do you change the oil? Is there a special one you recommend?

Cheers and thanks for reading and posting!

The brace keeps the fork legs moving in line and working as a single hydraulic unit, both up and down at the same time and helps prevent flexing side to side. If you go to a scrapyard and get an old metal guard, the stronger the better, that will fit inbetween the forks, cut it down, job done :)
I WANT one of those swinging arms!

Back
Top Bottom