Tire ideas?

Kev Nemo

Honda Hacker
I'm thinking dual-purpose like Beemer enduros run, but those Maxxxis I see on the track bikes look SHWEET! I wonder how long they last on the street?

I don't know about the Maxxis and others, but the Dunlop repop K70s will do about 4000 or so before the back gets too flat in the center. I ran them on my SR500. If you're running an 18/19 combination Dunlop makes the K180 DOT legal dirt track tire. They were used a lot by the riders running the old 883 Sportster series. Look just like the regular flat track tire tread. I'm hoping to buy a set once the SR is in street track condition.

Those k180's are sweet, but a quick look through the internet says they're hard to come by. Worth looking for though.

Kev Nemo said:
Those k180's are sweet, but a quick look through the internet says they're hard to come by. Worth looking for though.

Get with a shop that will deal with KK Cycle Supply in Dayton Ohio Here they are http://www.kkcycle.com/K180-Dirt-Track-Tire-P34246.aspx

K180.jpg

or the K70 at http://www.kkcycle.com/K70-Vintage-Tire-P34247.aspx

K70.jpg

By the way, my daughter and son-in-law are in Austin. She's working on being an actor - Michelle Keffer, and her husband is a singer/song writer frequently working the Cactus Cafe at UTA - Graham Weber. Nice area there, not like a lot of the flatlands.

klx678 said:

So what would be the right size for 19 front/18 rear? I'm wanting something taller and beefier, but I want to keep my front fender. Looks like there's plenty of room to fit a bigger tire.

Kev Nemo said:
So what would be the right size for 19 front/18 rear? I'm wanting something taller and beefier, but I want to keep my front fender. Looks like there's plenty of room to fit a bigger tire.

They only do one set of sizes I believe. The front is a 3.50-19 and the back a 4.00-18. Both should fit without major modifications if any. I know what you mean about wanting to keep the front fender. I originally painted my front fender semigloss black on the SR, it would be interesting to paint an actual tread pattern on it if someone had major airbrush skills.

klx678 said:
They only do one set of sizes I believe. The front is a 3.50-19 and the back a 4.00-18. Both should fit without major modifications if any. I know what you mean about wanting to keep the front fender. I originally painted my front fender semigloss black on the SR, it would be interesting to paint an actual tread pattern on it if someone had major airbrush skills.

I found a source. Now if I could find a picture to see how it looks. I like Whiteflag's Pirellis but haven't been able to track down a 19' front tire-lame.

Kev Nemo said:
I found a source. Now if I could find a picture to see how it looks. I like Whiteflag's Pirellis but haven't been able to track down a 19' front tire-lame.

Firestone ANS--Monkeestyle: http://store.coker.com/400-19-firestone-ans-motorcycle-tire.html

Kev Nemo said:

Here's a shot of what appears to be a stock wheeled Sportster with Dunlops on it from

34front_WDP7970_lrg.jpg

Looks sort of stupid with all the plastic crap on the front end, but I guess that's some street tracker "chrome shit" contest components - to wierd for me.

I'[ve been digging around the web looking for other photos.

Well, I guess I work backward now :-\ All the "race" shops in town are clueless on k180's and can' get them. So, I guess I'll call Carter Maxwell in Oklahoma and find out who they sell to in Texas. What a clusterf#ck...

Kev Nemo said:
checking on the k180's as I write this ;D ;D ;D

Why not call or email KK Cycle Supply in Dayton Ohio and ask them how to get them.

KK Motorcycle Supply, LLC
431 E Third St
Dayton, Ohio 45402

Phone Support:
Customer Service: (937) 222-1303

Web Contacts:
General Inquiries: general@kkcycle.com
Technical Support: tech@kkcycle.com
Web Site: webmaster@kkcycle.com

Customer Service Hours:

Monday - Thursday: 7am - 6pm Eastern
Friday: 7am - 5:30pm Eastern
Saurday & Sunday: Please call and leave message

KK Motorcycle Supply certifies that it will use your private information only as a means of responding directly to your inquiry. KK Motorcycle Supply does not sell or in any other way make available its private list of customers to any other organizations or businesses. KK Motorcycle Supply values your privacy and your patronage.

I'm pretty sure I spoke with KK first and they said the only way to get them is through a shop that they wholesale to. Carter Maxwell supplies this region of the US, so I'll probably just ask who they sell to around here. I found some on ebay for $140 a piece- is that about right? Kinda pricey for tires and really pricey compared to k70s.

Kev Nemo said:
I'm pretty sure I spoke with KK first and they said the only way to get them is through a shop that they wholesale to. Carter Maxwell supplies this region of the US, so I'll probably just ask who they sell to around here. I found some on ebay for $140 a piece- is that about right? Kinda pricey for tires and really pricey compared to k70s.

Probably about right, remember - they are actually flat track tires and as such are not inexpensive. The only really low buck dirt track style tire is the Duro, sold by Domiracer. I think I mentioned them earlier. They're like a Pirelli MT53, but the negative is the 6 ply side wall.

Here's another you could consider, the IRC GS11, use a rear on both the front and rear. You could cut the center rib area to give it a more complete tread look. http://www.tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIRES/Irc/IRC_allweather_gs11.htm

GS-11.jpg

I'm leaning toward the k70s-the price is right for a tire that will essentially last as long as a "regular" tire. I'd hate to spend that kind of money on the k180s and have them last half a year (I put 3600 mostly highway miles on my bike in 4 months, so it could happen! ;D

liam said:
maybe cheng shin C180's?
tyre_C180_f.jpg

so much conflicting opinion over whether the brand is any good however...

In all probabilty, MOST of the tires are made in the same Chinese plant and rebranded. Dunlop is owned by Goodyear, so it's mostly domestic US.

I'm looking into switching out my front 19' for a dual disk 18'-better/quicker turning and wider range of cheaper tires! ;)

klx678 said:
Don't waste your money on a 4.00 front, it'll just make the bike feel like a truck on the road. The 3.50 will look good and keep handling more normal. Yo won't be getting K70s for $100, closer to $180... but you could do the Mt53 replica tires from Duro They're sold by Domiracer. www.domiracer.com/Comersus/Store/comersus_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=13656&Page=21

Apparently they don't have a 4.00-18, but doing 3.50s on both ends would look good and be cheap. The only REAL negative is these things are like six ply sidewall tires - very stiff.

thought I would consolidate some information.

Here is what the Duro HF-308 looks like mounted. Pretty aggressive. Will probably be my next tire.
P3282016.JPG

Those look awesome! So I just checked Domiracer and they said the tire is either front or back? Seems kind odd. I'll call later and get info.

Back
Top Bottom