Tire ideas?

Kev Nemo said:
Those look awesome! So I just checked Domiracer and they said the tire is either front or back? Seems kind odd. I'll call later and get info.

K70s are the same way if I remember right - no direction of rotation. Besides, on the fat track we'd run one edge then flop the tire to get the new edge (or least worn for the poor ones like me).

I didn't remember the Cheng Shin number that was a K70 rip off. Mich like the Duro, if it is a six ply it will be stiffer than heck and more for looks than comfort or actual handling.

klx678 said:
They only do one set of sizes I believe. The front is a 3.50-19 and the back a 4.00-18. Both should fit without major modifications if any. I know what you mean about wanting to keep the front fender. I originally painted my front fender semigloss black on the SR, it would be interesting to paint an actual tread pattern on it if someone had major airbrush skills.

About to order the k70s from Bike Bandit. So you're sure the 3.50-19 won't rub the stock fender and the 4.00-18 won't rub the swingarm?

I read you r comments on the K180s, I wore out K70s in 4000 miles on my SR500, so you may want to rethink that if you're looking for good wear. The compound is soft.

Grip won't match, but if I was looking for wear I'd try the Duros.

https://www.domiracer.com/Comersus/Store/comersus_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=13620&Page=10

I understand the 4.00 is a 6 ply, but I just know the K70s will run square on the back and quickly cup on the front within 4000 miles, so the Duros might be worth a look.

I can't seem to find the old K70 type Cheng Shin or Kendas. They were my other thought.

The 4.00 will fit on the back, a lot of guys did 5.10s on them back when. On the front the 3.50 should work, but it will fill the fender for sure... unless you're not running a front fender, then there's no problem at all.

Nope-running a cut-down stock fender. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to hit the brace! :p I can live with the 4k-not riding as much as I used to-grippy is worth the price.

You shouldn't have any problem I ran them on my SR500 with the stock fenders and stuff.

Have you checked out AVON Distanza. They are part off road/part on road tire and look chunky.

teazer said:
Have you checked out AVON Distanza. They are part off road/part on road tire and look chunky.

Kev Nemo is looking at the tread pattern to have the old dirt track style. since the K70 was actually used on the dirt track in the 60s and 70s it is the perfect tire. It's just that with the new softer street compound it might wear a bit quick.

Distanzias are great tires, both my brother and a friend use them on a Buell Ulysses and a DRz400SM respectively.

What about these ?

http://www.bikebandit.com/shinko-244-motorcycle-tire

If you have 18" rims it might be worth a shot. Really cheap and decent reviews.

mookieo2 said:
What about these ?

http://www.bikebandit.com/shinko-244-motorcycle-tire

If you have 18" rims it might be worth a shot. Really cheap and decent reviews.

My young man, you need to learn the difference between a flat track tread and a dual sport tread. That Shinko is a dual sport tread, far coarser than the period use flat track tread of the K70.

87-4410.jpg
0000_Dunlop_K70_Rear_Tire.jpg

The Dunlop is no where near as coarse a tread and was actually used on flat track bikes of the late 60s and early 70s, being OEM tires on certain BSA and Triumph models, like the BSA Hornet and Triumph T120. Both were popular scrambles/TT/flat track models when stripped down and modified.

It's about the look... not the price. Also simply a coarse tread or fat tire does not make a flat track tire, contrary to what a lot of people who build "street/trackers" seem to think. A flat track tire is one that actually is or was used on the flat track.

Now you should understand. ;)

Thanks I`m a newb in this world but the style is growing on me. Call me what you want, I understand. Liking the looks and style of these bikes is making me learn more about what the actual purposes are. I`ll get there eventually.

8)

mookieo2 said:
Thanks I`m a newb in this world but the style is growing on me. Call me what you want, I understand. Liking the looks and style of these bikes is making me learn more about what the actual purposes are. I`ll get there eventually.

8)

I'm not calling you anything. ;)

Good on ya for trying to learn about the stuff.

Keep reading and do some google searches on flat trackers and on street trackers. They are way cool. I really liked the old two stroke novice bikes of the 60s and 70s, especially the Bultacos and Kawasaki Big Horn 350s. I raced a 175 Bultaco Sherpa S (pictures at www.bikepics.com/member/klx678 ) and a bunch of friends raced too. One friend built an XR900 using a flat track rolling chassis and an old Sportster engine back in 1975. Later he built a full on Shell Thuett 750 kitted Yamaha XS650 in a Champion frame as a street tracker. A few owners later the bike was actually being raced after having the street stuff stripped off.

The whole thing with street trackers is so damn cool!

I too searched the planet for Dunlop K180's. They were right in front of my face at the harley dealer next to my work. The Screaming Eagle catalog had them listed for $64 & $70 each. The theif at the counter said that price couldn't be right and charged me over $200 for a set. The rear only lasted 1000 miles but a lot of that was test and tuning, running it hard. After I had the part numbers I ordered a set from Chicago HD online who give a 20% discount off list. I got a set delivered for around $120. The K180's are no longer in the Screaming Eagle catalog and I just checked the part Number online at Chicago HD and it won't come up. 40552-97R front, 40553-98R rear maybe there's some old stock around.
I'm now running the stock Bridgestone Trailwing that came off my DR-Z400 on the rear. It wears really well and doesn't look too dual sporty.

Man, I can't believe it's so hard to come by K180's back home in North America, home of dirt track! I live in Australia now and I just walk in to any dealer and ask them to order a set of Dunlop K180's in the size I need. Granted, the person behind the counter doesn't always know what that model is but they just open their Dunlop catalogue and there they are. The local distributor usually has a set in stock or it's just a couple days from Sydney. I'm running 110-19 front and 120-18 rear on my project XT500 streettracker.
I looked on the NA Dunlop website and found a list of the distributors, so if your local doesn't have a clue where to get K180's, just hand them this:

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/racing_tires_sub.asp?rid=2

I like em! real vintage look to em. I'm going for a more aggressive tracker look (a la wrenchmonkees etc.) and am trying to make a decision, I want something that will ride well on the road but looks like it could handle some soft stuff. I think these Kendas might fit the bill. I'll post a pic once I make a decsion

Back
Top Bottom