Taking a different direction = "Element CM400" adventure bike

Re: "Element CM400" adventure bike

so, what i was asking about in that picture was the bar style, theres allot of different choices as far as "mx bars" theres one similar in style to a small ape hanger, which is close to that picture, and the way that bike sits its allot like mine, tank, and lowered seat because of it being a CM400 it has that style. I appreicate that input tho! im was just asking about that bars, pretty much the rest of the bike i have figured out, maybe paint aswell, i was thinking either black frame with that "FJ Blue" and white pinstriping, Black Frame with Charcole gray tank and fairing, or all black (maybe frame flat and tank and fairing gloss). If i had some photoshop skills i'd try to input the colors there, but we shall see! thanks guys. any help on the speedo or carb questions i posted?

alrighy guys, i rolled the bike out of the garage so i could get some photos of it (after i rolled it out i kinda like the straight drag bars, lol i know..) note that nothing yet is "finished" theres still a bit of bondo work, sanding and painting, the tank just got a one spray bomb real quick to see if i liked the color, the tail light and stuff is taped in right now. So remember its still got allot to go i just wanted to show what i;ve got so far! - Bob-o

I fab up an under the seat pan to hold the battery and electrics, it also doubles as a rear fender that dies into the light/cowl. i like the way its tucked into the stamped section of the frame, so from the side angle you can't even see it altho there is allot of space in the pan.

There's deff. a unique look starting to show with the bike. Looks like a street fighter and bobber.
Keep it up!

How about this: It's crude but it has higher MX bars, MX/Enduro type front fender, upswept pipes, Side "number plates" Slim CRF250 type seat...

http://www.pinkpossum.com/miscbikestuff/baja.jpg

or like the original Bill Bell Baja racer.
http://dadsvintageads.blogspot.com/2010/01/1977-custom-honda-big-bore-rock-slinger.html

Maybe more of a Paris-Dakar racer look...
http://www.yamaha-motor.pl/designcafe/en/about/classics/?Component=tcm:71-227366&PageTitle=T%C3%A9n%C3%A9r%C3%A9%20History

http://www.rallye.tv/images/Other%20Shots/xt_paris_dakar_1981.jpg

For inspiration...

I prefer your mock-up image. I think it will be easier to pull off w/ your bike. The number plates might be a trick to pull off right, but add a unique flare.
I'd think about slanting the seat tail fin down a bit to make it more level, look at your first and fourth inspiration pics to see what I mean.

I agree with teazer, the Renthal bars would good, I'm not really digging the straight bars. The Renthals are pretty similar to the ones on the 74 cb360 I'm working on now...
The undertray on the tail looks nice; is it fiberglass? Not sure about the angle of the tail section though, you might end up with a bannana seat look with it angled up that much. Just my opinion... ~ Stout

Hey do you guys know where to get a set of thisevbars cheap? The under the seat pan is made from sheet metal, I'm allot better with metal( being a welder) than I am with fiberglass. Also do you know where I can get a small battery the dimentions I posted before on the help thread has to have enough power for electric start standard headlight and led brake and blinkers pluscsll the standard sensors and a acewell gauge thanx fellas -bob

hey guys, just wanted to update, i've gotten a bit more done on the bike, been real busy with school and my 2nd child due any moment! i;ve got the tail section and seat pan almost done have to paint a few more times yet. got in all the parts i ordered, carbs are cleaned just waiting on gasket kit. And hopefully will be getting allot more done soon. its starting to really take shape tho, looking good, i'll post some pictures up as soon as i can. Still need help tho as far as how to mount up the Acewell speedo, i dont know how the magnet thing works. any help would be great!

want to drop the front end down to give it a more uniform stance, can i just loosen the bolts that hold the fork and slide it down like thi Or is it more envolved? thanks

Yep, Slide away! Just keep in mind that it will make your bike handle differently. Typically the steering gets lighter and the bike tends to 'fall' into turns quicker. I wouldn't go anymore than 2" max

How's this girl coming?? - Stout

funny u say it that way stout, lol my wife just had our 2nd child a little girl so i havent had much time to work on the bike lately! i just posted up a question on the chop section about removing the stamped section of the frame, i'll put up here to see what you guys think.

I'd put a tube across it if it were mine.

What kind of tubing do you think? I like how cutting the section cleans up the rear and gives it a more racing stance. I don't know what this bike will end up as tracker/bobber/cafe but I know what I have in my head. I guess as long as I like the outcome what "class" it's in doesn't really matter

that's the attitude to have. I don't think you can classify most of my bikes either... post up a pic of your frame.
- stout

a different direction

ok guys, so i've decided to take this bike in slightly a different direction, after mocking up my ideas and surfing around the joint looking at other bikes, i've changed it up a bit. i'll be altering the rear part of the frame and making the seat more of a floating seat, here's the pictures of what i've been seeing/liking, the rear "fairing/seat" will be the fairing i already made that was a mimick of stouts rd250 rear fairing, so heres the pictures in order. orignal inspiration bike, front end, tail section and edited photo of inspiration to give the details. Paint would be frame flat black, tins and fairing gloss black. some vintage honda wing badges on the tank.
]]]][URL=http://picturepush.com/public/5515526

Back
Top Bottom