First project. CB125 and a few questions.

opet

Hi. New to this forum, so I hope this is the right place to post.

I just picked up my first Honda the other day. Its a CB125 (K5 I think. Any way to check this?) and is in pretty good shape. The PO had done a lot of work, but there is still a bit left for me to do. Here's how she was when I got her.

cb125.jpg

The electrical all has to be redone. Been looking at eBay and there are quite a few CB125S wiring harnesses out from Asia. But judging from the parts list, it's really the CB175 harness I want. Correct? Or should I just wire it myself?

My inspiration on the bodywork is this.

a65hornet.jpg

Gorgeous desert racer by Viv Cowley (it was featured in ClassicBike march 2011, but couldn't find it online).

So. For the exhaust. I've been looking around and it doesn't seem like there is any aftermarket exhaust solutions available. Looking at that racer, I was thinking about making my own if I could get hold of a kit or something, but I don't really know what it will do to performance. I really love those high pipes.

Seat. I would really like to keep the frame stock and not cut anything off. I was thinking of just moving the hinge a bit forward and customising a seat I have. Shorten the pan and the foam, and just sew a new cover. Would this be feasible?

Wheels. It came with some shitty tires that I have to replace. Both are 18". I've read that stock is 18" front and 17" back, but does it make much difference? I'd rather spend my money on something else than to replace a fully working wheel. Been looking at Dunlop K82s. Any thoughts? The smallest size is also 2.75. Would it harm to do 2.75 front and 3.00 back? Is there space?

I know it's a lot to ask, but it's my first "proper" project bike... :) Thanks!

First off, welcome to the site!

What does the stamping say on the neck? The year & model should be on there.
I think your best bet would be to go for a 125 harness. For no other reason than all the connectors (and wiring diagram) would match.
Check out Dime City (link at the top of the page) for universal exhausts. May or may not work for you though.......
The seat is only limited by you time, resources, and skills.
What size are your current wheels? It should be stamped on them near the valve stem. Once you know the width, then you can find the proper size tires.

Thanks! Been lurking around here for a while and finally took the step to register.

Ok. Had the engine number written down. CB125-4031257.

Yeah. Just wondered if there were any major differences between the CB100 harness (which is the same as the CB125S harness) and the CB175 harness.

Need to check the wheel size when I get back from work.

Thanks!

The cb125s harness will not be correct because its for a single cylinder bike. You would have to make some changes im sure to make it work. A page i found said it is the same as the cb160. This might help.
http://carwiringdiagrams.net/1972-honda-cb125-cb160-electrical-schematic-diagram/

Ok, i went to cmsnl and found your bike. I used 72 cb125 found the part number, 32100-303-040, google searched it and this came up
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CA175-CB175-CL175-Wireharness-NOS-32100-303-040-/250759024724#ht_1191wt_770

Thanks, ffjmoore. I was kind of expecting that. Pretty obvious I suppose. I've been looking at the cb160 harness before, and it is the same as referenced in the parts list.

Now I just need to fix my Triumph first... Snapped the secondary chain and knocked a hole in the crankcase. Hopefully it's just the one hole...

Back
Top Bottom