KZ400 / (440 LTD) into flat tracker build.. :)

jimmylewis

I have picked up a running 440 LTD for $600.. Lowest reasonable project bike I could find in a twin or single cylinder configuration. Would have loved to have one with the kick start, but no dice.. I am new to tuning CV carbs and this one has a partial air box - so bring on the tuning to UNI pods! I guess.

Mine has the belt drive and a smaller rear wheel, so it will not have the look with spokes front and rear and matching tires.. though I do like that look. Mine will be utilizing many original components with hopes of a lower investment build. Both of these bikes have a smaller rear wheel and I do like how the dirt tracker is raked - so expect it will come out like a merge of their two forms.

1194.jpg

1192.jpg

Here is my project build parked in front of a Bonneville.

Beaverton-Hillsboro-20110825-00022.jpg

I plan on modifying the rear of the frame to be more like the KZ400 (without the dip for the drivers seat). If I can get my hands on a welder I will make that a weekend project. I would also like to find a set of rear shocks that are a little longer.. Not sure what or where to go yet. I have found some aftermarket, but nothing too affordable. I would also like to eliminate the bounce in the rear of the bike while riding - heavier rated shock should do it I expect.

I just used the electrolysis method to change the rust in my gas tank into black oxide. It was starting to get pin holes and rust silt in the fuel line/carbs. I cleaned the carbs thoroughly, just made float adjustments and put the bike back together. It's not quite right as is. Seems I need to go up a size on the mains and maybe shim the needles more..

I have contemplated getting a set of round slides for their ease of tuning, but I would like to just make these CVs work if it isn't much more money/hassle than I already have into them.

Back
Top Bottom