BMW R90/6.. TAT G/S Tribute

Dang, brother, Kim Kardashian could fit on there w/o overhanging! ::)

Top end put back together with fresh push rod tube seals and gaskets, and the fresh carbs to boot. I didn't do rings at this point as I didn't have the scratch and they were both pushing 145 cold psi per side. If I end up starting to blow smoke, ill do it then, but for now, it'll do. I put er together, clicked the starter and away she went. I'm sure it will need a carb sync, but that will have to wait til tomorrow.

https://youtu.be/GhvVRO5Zc0w

dc463b58c77ba07ed72ec8c7fe606d2f.jpg
09fcb7094f85bc27c1256b8902d110d9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Time to start syncing the carbs. One known method on airhead bmws is to short out one side then the other using spark plug short rods and a screw driver to the head, until it runs evenly on both. I'm sure this is nothing new to most of you guys, but I figured I'd share my carb sync short out rods. I didn't have the time to wait on a set to order them, and this method is much cheaper. All told I think I have around $7 in the pair. I used two 4 mm by 60 mm long bolts with the heads cut off, two coupler nuts and four standard nuts (all 4mm) as well as a piece of 3/16 inch inside diameter brass tube cut into two equal lengths around 50mm long. All materials where in the hardware section of Lowe's. The coupler nut is recessed on the threaded rod enough to screw over the spark plug. I also used two old spark plug thread on terminals. The standard nuts just act as lock nuts to keep stuff from coming apart. These do fit on both Bosch and NGK caps.

Also made up a set of Gatorade bottle vacuum sync gauges. Of course as soon as I went to start it the battery was dead. Oh well, one more thing to chase down lol

4b9d2a88653a34dc931605508cf90863.jpg
84d41034653ce93d58a0bbe13fc0e09f.jpg
7e8846c5698c15992a21f81999d5d037.jpg
a30e4db6e4f73e0316f75af7b119b530.jpg
ed814bbc753c5663b9564bb86baec37f.jpg
db8b5c1ae05c740d9d3021697233cb19.jpg
7a8b487c98e34654ae19bf161cac54dd.jpg

New shoes came in the mail today.
58ade73bacbf0ecb1c9855165e0603b4.jpg

The Gatorade bottles were just a bit too large in volume, so I tried a different route for syncing. I had a set of actual gauges on order, but for the second time this month, for whatever reason, the eBay order got cancelled. Oh well.

Off to harbor freight for a $10 Vacuum gauge (with coupon of course) and a $4 aquarium splitter valve from the big box store. I had to drill out and remove the check valve from the splitter, but other wise it worked well. It would be easier to do with two separate gauges for sure, instead of having to block one off and work back and forth, but oh well, it worked and the job is done I'm pretty sure.

e4e14e00ba739a3a80e601b9370ea166.jpg

Dude, rather than spend the $4 on the "aquarium splitter". I woulda loaned you another $6 for the second gauge. ;)

trek97 said:
Dude, rather than spend the $4 on the "aquarium splitter". I woulda loaned you another $6 for the second gauge. ;)
Ha, valves are needed either way to dampen the vacuum pulse, and not buying the second gauge wasn't a $6 issue, it was more that I didn't trust harbor freights Chinese quality control to have a pair of them that were perfectly calibrated to one another

HURCO550 said:
Ha, valves are needed either way to dampen the vacuum pulse, and not buying the second gauge wasn't a $6 issue, it was more that I didn't trust harbor freights Chinese quality control to have a pair of them that were perfectly calibrated to one another

Even w my purpose built gauges. When Im done setting. I swap the gauges on the carbs to see if there is a discrepancy twixed the gauges.

New tires mounted and rolled out for some quick pics. Next up, changing out the seat.

https://youtu.be/OnuArPXCo5I
30ddcc0f0308d940bd921eca20445e45.jpg
da28e28fb46fa5bd025193abf23c6103.jpg
aba3b9f6dfd3732206b3a7b069c1ee18.jpg

Getting there!

Question on the spark plug shorts....why not just pull the cap off the plug? just easier and quicker to short it for a second to listen?

Thanks guys.

And sonic, there is a bunch of debate on that. Some claim that anything with points is safe to do just that. Some claim that you shouldn't pull plug caps on anything post /5. I figured for $7 I would just make up some short rods and not risk it.

You definitely don't want to pull caps with most (if not all) electronic ignitions.

John Deere made a snowmobile back in the day called a spitfire that had a unique to it c.d.i. ignition. If you didn't have the cap on the plug and pulled it over ONE TIME it was fried. Now, there are none of those boxes left, so many of those sleds are sitting around in good shape with a fried box that isn't available anymore.

I did light myself up even with the short rods. I grabbed a file instead of a screw driver the first time and it had a wood handle with a metal sheath up a little farther than I had realized lol live and learn.

Well it felt good to finally have a vintage bike that I felt was dependable enough to do the distinguished genltlemans ride. Round trip was about 180 miles, and the ol lass handled it great. About 70% of those miles were 4 lane interstate traveling at 70+ mph and she didn't skip a beat (though interstate riding isn't gonna be what I continue to do for fun lol)

I am very happy with the old girl so far. Its low on thrills, but is by far the most pleasant, well mannered and refined vintage bike I've ridden or owned to date.

The only issue ive had is the need for fairly constant head re torqueing and valve adjustment after having the top end off. Luckily, there is no easier bike to torque the heads and adjust the valves on. 3 nuts and the cover is off. You don't even have to pull the tank. Its great.

A few shots from the weekend.

7e122c3f1532d1e569848f4231ed0707.jpg

Where's waldo?
9ef084a9d61f8fd45c32ba86a99ed592.jpg

Back home safe and sound
755de2614f69a19fb4ca05c5479847eb.jpg

Do you mean that you will adjust the valves more than the factory says you have to?

Mine has a 1976 and I would ride it long distance if it didn't have clip-ons and a Cafe seat. These engines run for ever.

Glad you had a nice ride :)

Brian

Curious as well about the valve adjustments.
Perhaps some light locktight is in order?
You haven't had it long enough to need a valve adjustment....

I just clocked over 600 miles since my rebuild and last valve adjustment. I re-torqued the heads once after a few heat cycles, though.

SONIC. said:
Curious as well about the valve adjustments.
Perhaps some light locktight is in order?
You haven't had it long enough to need a valve adjustment....
I had the top end completely off for push rod tube seals. I have torqued the heads/ adjusted the valves 3 times in the 300ish miles since putting the top end back together. The nuts aren't loose, the studs are just stretching I think

HURCO550 said:
I had the top end completely off for push rod tube seals. I have torqued the heads/ adjusted the valves 3 times in the 300ish miles since putting the top end back together. The nuts aren't loose, the studs are just stretching I think

Well i hope that stops soon lol that would render the bike useless in my eyes! Mine get an oil change every season and that's about it!

Back
Top Bottom