This jacket became my best friend

AndrewDoesHair

Been Around the Block
I love vintage clothing, and have recently been finding amazing value in surplus military clothing. I was at an antique store a few months back, where I found an vietnam war era G1 jacket, that had been heavily modified, so it was selling for very cheap (I've seen similar jackets go for $300+, but this one was about $100). Whoever owned it before me has removed the cotton cuffs and waist, and replaced them with heavy leather- extra long cuffs. They also dyed the jacket black (inside the pockets are still the original brown). This thing seems to have been modified with motorbikes in mind. I bought it with no intention of wearing it to ride, but as it became warmer out, I ended up wearing this on a ride, since it's not at all insulated, just a leather shell with very fine lining. It ended up keeping out the wind very nicely, and it looked a lot cooler than my usual jacket. I was starting to like it by now. But then I went out to ride on an unusually cold morning, and I flipped up and buttoned the collar... It was AMAZING. So warm and comfy. I was riding to work at 7:30AM and thinking that I was no less comfortable than I was when I was laying in bed an hour earlier. I just, really like this jacket now. I want to wear it all the damn time, riding or not.

Does anyone know if I can add armor to the shoulders and elbows? Are there like, kits or pads available to add to an old favorite jacket? That's the one thing I worry about with this- if I fell on my elbow I'd be out of work for some time...

17905_562149113805960_877314901_n.jpg

246512_556819454338926_1891823860_n.jpg

You'd have to have an upholstery shop add in pockets for the armor. You can most definitely but armor separate to add into a jacket, though. Looks pretty slick!

-Matt

Rather than modify the jacket you could get an armored shirt - lots of that out there, MX especially

I'd just get separate body armor. I have the Bohn armor pants to wear under jeans. They have a shirt version as well with elbow, shoulder, and back armor.

BobaChris said:
I'd just get separate body armor. I have the Bohn armor pants to wear under jeans. They have a shirt version as well with elbow, shoulder, and back armor.

+1. I have the armored pants as well. Got them from here:

http://www.actionstation.com/

Here you go! D3o armor, ready to be sewn in!

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/PN-D3O-JACKET/D3o-Armor-Kit-Jacket

Is that a picture of you looking at a picture of yourself? Also possibly a terrible iphone ad.

^ hahaha seriously, did you get royalties for this pic?
anyhow, do the sew in pocket thing at an upholsterer. Since its a vintage jacket, the fit is on the tight side. Wearing Armor underneath, may not fit, but at the minimum restrict all kinds of movement.
On an other note....when are you picking up that Triumph??? :)

Yeah, that was a shameless selfie :-[

But it was just to show off my jacket, I swear!

Look, Triumph copied my jacket for their James Dean jacket.... :D
Screen-Shot-2011-09-27-at-9.02.45-AM.png

Back
Top Bottom