New To Bike Shows...what should I know so I don't make a fool of myself at the Bull City Rumble?

1sttimer

Over 1,000 Posts
As the title dictates, I am new to bike shows. I just finished up my bike (for the most part - good enough for the show) and I'm entering it in the largest show in NC. I'm curious as to protocol for shows, as I've never even been to one, let alone enter one.

My major question is what do you need to bring besides the bike? Can I put it on a swinger stand? Are there rules/regs?

Help me prepare. Thanks fellas, hope to see some of you out there.

**changes since the pic: hagon rears, headlight ears

upu9uma2.jpg

Well... If they expect you to bring anything other than, or give a flying fuck about anything other than the bike... The show sucks.

A real show is about like minded folks getting together, sharing a good time and checking out what everyone has been working on over the off season. Winning trophies and whatnot should always come second.

All just my opinion of course... But, loosen up and and just have a good time. If you're only going to showboat it's going to be a long and lonely day.

VonYinzer said:
Well... If they expect you to bring anything other than, or give a flying fuck about anything other than the bike... The show sucks.

A real show is about like minded folks getting together, sharing a good time and checking out what everyone has been working on over the off season. Winning trophies and whatnot should always come second.

All just my opinion of course... But, loosen up and and just have a good time. If you're only going to showboat it's going to be a long and lonely day.

If I were going to showboat, I would have spent the money to powder coat the stuff I rattle canned :D

I'm just excited to see some vintage bikes! There's not many around the southern part of the state. I'm currently visiting Michigan for work in Kalamazoo and I've already seen a brat, a cafe and a kawi bobber :)

VonYinzer said:

That is awesome advice, however. I plan to def have a few brewskis and hopefully meet some of the Ton Up Highlands and Ton up NC folk.

I'll probably show up. I'll be looking out. I though about riding up for a day and then back, but I tend to get drunk so that might not work.

deviant said:
I'll probably show up. I'll be looking out. I though about riding up for a day and then back, but I tend to get drunk so that might not work.

Awesome man! I am going from memory here but you're coming from GA?

You got it- Augusta. I'll probably head up to Murray's and go from there.

deviant said:
You got it- Augusta. I'll probably head up to Murray's and go from there.

Cool! I just PMd him to see if he was going and what he's bringing. My Pop lives around the corner from him.

If you don't make a fool of yourself at least once then you might as well stay home. We're staying at Duke Towers. Will definitely hit Full Steam and MotoCo.

Just bring the bike and park it in the right spot.
(they group along the street by marque iirc)

If you ride it in that helps, but certainly not required.

To be honest, the judging is way down the list of cool things to see and do at the BCR, so think of it as just coming to the show first and foremost, and who knows, you might win something along the way!

A bunch of us from DTTTriangle will be there, along with a good representation from the Queen City Aces, Ton Up NC and others.

Bring some proper cloths and polish, maybe a little card or sign describing your bike and then just have fun. Some people may not like your bike or aspects of it but who cares? By the way, I really like your bike.

Just ride the bike in and put it in the show. Don't expect everyone to pat you on the back.

Play it cool man.

BigAl8295 said:
Just ride the bike in and put it in the show. Don't expect everyone to pat you on the back.

Play it cool man.

I must have been misread here. I have never expected anyone to do such a thing. I'm certainly humble and still learning :) I simply wanted to know what to bring. However thank you for the advice - I indeed intent to play it cool.

CarbsAndCylinders said:
Bring some proper cloths and polish, maybe a little card or sign describing your bike and then just have fun. Some people may not like your bike or aspects of it but who cares? By the way, I really like your bike.

Cool man, thank you. This is the kind of info I was looking for. My bike definitely isn't a show stopper so polish won't be needed but you're right, I don't really care. People will always nitpick.

Bozz said:
Just bring the bike and park it in the right spot.
(they group along the street by marque iirc)

If you ride it in that helps, but certainly not required.

To be honest, the judging is way down the list of cool things to see and do at the BCR, so think of it as just coming to the show first and foremost, and who knows, you might win something along the way!

A bunch of us from DTTTriangle will be there, along with a good representation from the Queen City Aces, Ton Up NC and others.

Again, this is kinda what I was after with the post. Do they assign spots upon registry?

I'll look for you. You guys have a tent or something?

In the past DTTTriangle and TonUp have had tents, the QCA do sometimes, sometimes they travel light and just hang out.
I'm too old to partake in all the late night fun, but I'm told it is well done by those that enjoy such.
Be warned it is frequently hot as blazes so sunscreen is required and a change of clothes so you don't have to walk around in your leathers would be wise.
Basically, show up, look around, ask questions and be friendly. You'll have a lot more fun that way!

Bozz said:
In the past DTTTriangle and TonUp have had tents, the QCA do sometimes, sometimes they travel light and just hang out.
I'm too old to partake in all the late night fun, but I'm told it is well done by those that enjoy such.
Be warned it is frequently hot as blazes so sunscreen is required and a change of clothes so you don't have to walk around in your leathers would be wise.
Basically, show up, look around, ask questions and be friendly. You'll have a lot more fun that way!

Awesome! Thank you! Im excited to meet some people from here. Faces to names is nice.

You're already over thinking it man.

Just show up and park near the flag for your bikes country of origin. Then cruise up to the Ton Up NC tent and register. And stop by our Ton Up Highlands and buy a shirt. Ha!

Hang out, drink a few beers, and some water. It's fuckin hot down there.

The judging is purely objective. We pick what we like. Not nessicerly for any good reason. We tend to go for bikes that get ridden. Nice home builts are cool too. And clean restos...

But mostly just have a good time and know its for a good cause. Cheers!

Speedfiend said:
You're already over thinking it man.

Just show up and park near the flag for your bikes country of origin. Then cruise up to the Ton Up NC tent and register. And stop by our Ton Up Highlands and buy a shirt. Ha!

Hang out, drink a few beers, and some water. It's fuckin hot down there.

The judging is purely objective. We pick what we like. Not nessicerly for any good reason. We tend to go for bikes that get ridden. Nice home builts are cool too. And clean restos...

But mostly just have a good time and know its for a good cause. Cheers!

Def planning to buy a shirt (or two). I didn't know they parked by country. That's cool, would have figured that out I'm sure when I tried to park next to a triumph ;)

1sttimer said:
, would have figured that out I'm sure when I tried to park next to a triumph ;)
no big deal man the english section is next to the american bikes so the epa can contain the oil run off

Back
Top Bottom