Buying First Bike-Could Use Some Advice

MattTB

So, I've been looking for a cb350 for a while with no real results. While I'd love to buy a stock bike and build it, I don't really have the tools or space to work on it, or time since im active military, but if the price was right I'd buy a stock bike. So I'm realistically looking for something already built to an extent. I was surfing tonight and saw this, and was wondering what you professionals thought before I spend my money.

Frame has been powdercoated, but no tabs removed or anything other mods. Seat is velcroed. Jas mikuni carbs, velocity stacks, new wiring and battery (still has electric start) cl exhaust, rear sets, and clip ons.

Not too crazy about the seat length or the paint scheme, and prefer the older tanks, but those wouldnt be the most difficult things to change I'd imagine. I'm also not a fan of CL exhuasts but I could always sell it and put on something else.

So at 2500, thoughts on this '72 350? Yay, nay?

00s0s_isu75hzHRQu_600x450.jpg

00y0y_cjRbVvTKz0I_600x450.jpg

00x0x_6rtSl7W4i0f_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00F0F_dcyV9JbdPzp_600x450.jpg[/img
[img]http://images.craigslist.org/00p0p_7RfXICPlfdb_600x450.jpg
00H0H_fPyklbI4Zml_600x450.jpg

thank you for your service !
nay, never buy a used bike without air filters, besides it has other issues as well
what kind of experience do you have on a motorcycle ? riding one ?

You can get a solid bike for that price. Ride something running, fun and decent to start. Build a bike later on.

My 4 pennarth. Get a mechanically good bike - cosmetics no issue, and if unloved should bring the price down.

First off decide what type of bile you want - Thumper, twin, Four etc. and then decide what you want it to look like.

Cosmetic changes - like the bike illustrated - are NOT complicated for a home mechanic / hobbyist.

Alright guys, I'm gonna pass then.

To edit what I said above, I do have the space to work on a bike (a second empty bedroom), I guess don't have the capability to do anything like cutting and welding. Anything that involves a wrench and not an engineering degree I feel confident enough to do, however.

Also, i'm pretty set on a 350 twin. Just the bike market is pretty weak in NC, not sure how long I'll have to wait to find one.

MattTB said:
Alright guys, I'm gonna pass then.

To edit what I said above, I do have the space to work on a bike (a second empty bedroom), I guess don't have the capability to do anything like cutting and welding. Anything that involves a wrench and not an engineering degree I feel confident enough to do, however.

Also, i'm pretty set on a 350 twin. Just the bike market is pretty weak in NC, not sure how long I'll have to wait to find one.

Wise decision IMO.

After 55 years in this great hobby of ours - I STILL DON'T WELD ! I've never had to as I've always employed good peeps to do that.

Come back to bite me after I retired and sold my business, oh yes and a severe lack of funds.

Don't let that deter you. Most of the work on the Orange bike is simple spannering. Even if you have to go to a local shop to get some odd welding done - still the most economical option.

Also - make a budget - a REALISTIC one - then double the total, you might even have some change !

If your first bike [ there WILL be others ] is budgeted fairly accurately - you will know the cost of clip-ons, rearsets, seats etc. and shouldn't go wildly over.

There will be others from this forum in your vicinity with the knowledge to guide you - and maybe that odd bit of welding

You can offset the odd welding and outsource jobs by selling off unwanted parts from the stocker - seat, mudgusrds, footrests etc.

We ALL started where you are - and some of us are still at it !

Run from that bike.
Try and learn some of the typical hipster traps that are signs of bike built by an idiot.

Why the preoccupation with the cb350?
To me it's neither a good first bike nor a good first vintage bike.

They are different.

You should focus on your first bike teaching you to ride, and have little to nothing to do with how it looks in blog pictures or in the parking lot.
Look for something that can actually be used on the road, not a bicycle with an engine.
If you get something to small and slow you will not ride it enough to learn.

Vintage bikes make bad first bikes. Any old bike will give you a chance to learn to wrench. But learning to wrench and ride at the same time isn't a great idea. Modified vintage bikes are the worst first bike. You don't have the all important and very overlooked base line to know how things should be. And when they break you will not be able to use the manual to help guide you through the fix.

surffly said:
Run from that bike.
Try and learn some of the typical hipster traps that are signs of bike built by an idiot.

Why the preoccupation with the cb350?
To me it's neither a good first bike nor a good first vintage bike.

They are different.

You should focus on your first bike teaching you to ride, and have little to nothing to do with how it looks in blog pictures or in the parking lot.
Look for something that can actually be used on the road, not a bicycle with an engine.
If you get something to small and slow you will not ride it enough to learn.

Vintage bikes make bad first bikes. Any old bike will give you a chance to learn to wrench. But learning to wrench and ride at the same time isn't a great idea. Modified vintage bikes are the worst first bike. You don't have the all important and very overlooked base line to know how things should be. And when they break you will not be able to use the manual to help guide you through the fix.
While this is my first bike, I have been on bikes before. I'm not a complete stranger to them.

But yes, I do see where you're coming from. I was actually thinking today about buying a newer beater bike to ride while I build a CB.

I want a 350 because it seems to have the most available parts and along with the 750, it seems to be "the" CB model. Is it really that slow? I thought I'd rather want to rip around on a smaller light bike versus a bigger bike like a 750. I'm 6'2" 190lbs, if that means anything on these bikes.

I'm stationed in NC now, but my home of residence is actually just about 5 minutes from you in EI, small world.

totally get a 350 or 360.

i built a hipster trap of a 360 and its been great, although it did cost a bit of money upgrading everything (cam guide, E-ignition, small battery, halogen headlight, mikuni carbs)

keep the keihins on it if you are using the stock airbox.
if you want pods, get some mikunis and get ready for trial and error jetting for a week or two.

MattTB said:
While this is my first bike, I have been on bikes before. I'm not a complete stranger to them.

But yes, I do see where you're coming from. I was actually thinking today about buying a newer beater bike to ride while I build a CB.

I want a 350 because it seems to have the most available parts and along with the 750, it seems to be "the" CB model. Is it really that slow? I thought I'd rather want to rip around on a smaller light bike versus a bigger bike like a 750. I'm 6'2" 190lbs, if that means anything on these bikes.

I'm stationed in NC now, but my home of residence is actually just about 5 minutes from you in EI, small world.

It is a small world. Hit me up when you are home.

Your goal in any of this should be to ride as much as possible. That's the whole point of having a motorcycle.
Personally I have no idea why people turn their first bike into a project. Even if they do finish it, it is rarely any good as an actually motorcycle because they don't ride enough to know if the mods are any good.

Now if the idea is to have something with a "look" then it really doesn't matter what bike you start with or any of that. It will just have a look, and if it runs and rides then it's a bonus.

A 350 is a half step above a toy as far as motorcycles go. And when I say a motorcycle I mean something that can be ridden from any point a to any point b. So that means highways. I don't mean to be down on the 350, I've owned a few. They are fine for what they are, but not a good first and more importantly only bike.

I use a cl125 for a ton of stuff, but I keep a bigger bike for when I need to use a real motorcycle.

Now in my eyes no modification should be done to anything unless it is done to improve the bikes function. And you can't know if you are making improvements until you ride the thing and find its weak points....

What's your actual budget. I mean what's in the piggy bank to buy a bike right now, not it have $500 and figure I can save $28 a week to "build" it.

Can you swing for a used modern triumph?
Don't say you can't find a bike. If it says honda on it then it isn't rare and can be found easily.
A cb350 or some other popular bikes will have a hefty hipster tax on them. You need to be either okay with that or start to branch out to others bikes that either have better performance for the money or are just cheaper.

the problem with just about any cb350 is unless it has had lots of topend parts replaced,recently, well it is likely worn out real bad with and or nasty corrosion/wear on the cam and rockers, cam chain wheels will be shot ,rusted bores rusted valves etc :-X
pretty much figger on spending a lot of time and 600+ dollers on parts EASY just on the motor
plus at 6'-2 you need to raelize that a cb350 is a tiny bike and everybody that mods them drops the seat3-4" which just makes it smaller
in my opinion you would be far better off with something like a GS500 suzuki or a EX500 kawi
if you want a twin to ride or if you can find an SR500
or if you can find a 550 kawi 82-84 gpz
then if you want a PROJECT have at it with an older bike,but they are tricky to work on and they need a very thorough,careful, accurate inspection to get the rebuild right

Unsure where in NC you are.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/4642813195.html
Buy that and over time build this
HondaCB900F_resized600X400.jpg

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/4629895877.html
Of you really must go vintage.
Don't listen to the chicken littles about the valves. Way more useable bike then a 350

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/4676138592.html
77-78 K bikes are less loved. None of the reasons they are less loved will matter to you.

I was actually trying to find things other then honda CBs...but kinda failed.
Real answer to your original question is SV650 or something like that.

No honda hawks or CXs......

The goal for me (from a more recent realization) is to have a bike that can possess utility. To travel distance, ride in the twisties, take camping and essentially putting a smile on my face (or at least I'm smiling on the inside). After riding much more this summer I've realized why a utility style bike offers more value because I can go and do whatever I want, whenever I want(to some degree on an old bike).

Also, you seem like a fairly large man so stay away from the small bikes.

Some good advise here. :)

All I'd add is, try to define why you're buying a bike. Is it a project you want to work on as a hobby, and you don't care if you ride it or not for a while? Do you want to ride NOW and work on changing it up a little as you go? Answers to those kinds of questions will help you figure out which way you should lean. :)

For me, I started not caring wether I rode or not... I wanted MY bike built MY way. I ended up working on it for 2 years before it was ready to be ridden. :p My patience ran thin and that was hard!! :eek:

Now I have 2 vintage bikes and STILL there are times neither one is ridable!! :mad:

This summer I went 'all in' and got a reliable 'modern' bike to have as a daily rider. Much less stressful when a nice day/weekend arrives and I HAVE to get out on 2 wheels! 8)

A lot of good advice to consider. To answer some more questions

1. Yes, I'd prefer it to be rideable as soon as I got it, and change stuff along the way. I have a three mile commute to work, and two other cars, so it won't be the end of the world if it is in pieces a few days, but I'd prefer if it is rideable more often than not.

2. The budget, I'd say 5k max. I think that is a reasonable number, no? I could spend more...but would prefer to not go crazy on the budget.

3. It seems to be the power if the bike is of big debate. For recreation purposes, I want it to be a twists and turns bike. I'm not all about breaking land speed records. But..I dont want to feel like I'm riding my buddy's vespa. Are all of you who are on 350s 5'6" and 135lbs?

Yes, anyone larger then a derby jockey isn't using a 350 as a real motorcycle and liking it.
Putting around to the post office and coffee shop? Sure. Building an art project that will not actually run? You bet.

Like what was said, you need to figure out how much you value riding.

Where in NC are you? You look at the links I posted?
For $5k and the need to look vintage the answer is guzzi V7, triumph or cb1100.
Buy something modern and ride.
Worry about a vintage build latter.

This is strictly my opinion.

I really hope you understand that a vintage bike is a needy whore.

They aren't simply fill and go.

I'm not trying to deter you. If you have a squared-away bike, it will likely be a pleasure over-all. But I wouldn't be surprised if one morning my CL350 just decides not to start because of China's crop-yields after the solstice. Chances are it's because I left the stereo and ground-FX on over-night anyway, but that's not the point. They just need periodic adjustments and now and then one part or another will check out.

Don't mess with Suzuki. Don't. I'm not typically brand-centric, but as far as the big four go, Suzuki was the grand turd of the tumultuous turd troop. To give you an idea, when Suzuki chromes its parts, they are particular to chrome ONLY the surface you will see. Look at the rear fender on a GT250. The chrome abruptly ends where the seat begins!

I'm literally not making this up! Literally look at this!
GT2501975REARFENDER2_zpsaa05bb44.jpg~original

Sounds nit-picky, but consider their lack in pride in the smaller details, such as whether or not they consider ease of maintenance...

The 350 gets boring really fast. I enjoy rev'ing mine all to hell, though and there's nothing that can't be fixed on a weekend.

Consider a CB450. I haven't been able to say anything bad about them besides how long it takes to adjust the valves.

Here's something you probably never considered; the CB400T, CB450T, CM450 and CM400. Don't bother with the automatics. They have an option of a 6-speed. They were made in a range of models across about 5-years so parts are as plentiful as hairs on Adele's chest. They can be had for as little as $1,200, running and with a title. I even have a spare motor sitting around because somebody was giving it away. It's in great shape. They have that same bare simplicity and look and can be very easily modified. As well, you will be hard pressed to find a smoother twin in that style. It has rotating balance shafts that counteract the reciprocating forces, and is as smooth as a well-tuned four-cylinder.

It's quiet, polite and overall just a joy in every aspect. I don't hesitate to take them on long jaunts.

honda-cm400t-cb400t-rad-custom-cafe-build-00.jpg

surffly said:
Yes, anyone larger then a derby jockey isn't using a 350 as a real motorcycle and liking it.
Putting around to the post office and coffee shop? Sure. Building an art project that will not actually run? You bet.

Like what was said, you need to figure out how much you value riding.

Where in NC are you? You look at the links I posted?
For $5k and the need to look vintage the answer is guzzi V7, triumph or cb1100.
Buy something modern and ride.
Worry about a vintage build latter.
I'm in Fayetteville, NC, but could go as far as Raleigh (60ish miles) to pick up a bike.

I emailed the guy with the 78 750 and may go see it sunday. Decent price? Anything specific to look for?

Also saw this 550, it is missing things like fenders if thats an issue, and buying an already built bike can be a risk but I was wondering if the professionals saw anything good/bad. Also, thoughts on 550 vs 750?
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/4612174139.html

Back
Top Bottom