1957 FeatherCraft Ranger III / Tee Nee Trailer / 1956 Johnson 30HP

That's why you only polish the outside :)

Mine won't be polished anytime soon. They came from the factory in bare aluminum, or anodized blue or gold. As you can clearly see mine is gold. Would likely take a ton of additional effort to strip the anodizing off and then polish.

We'll see what happens over time. Now that the paint is gone, it's all about getting it seaworthy and then rigging it up with the engine and steering. After reading some horror stories about what can happen when a cable steering system breaks, I'm looking at going to a Teleflex rack/pinion system.

More probably, the exterior of your boat has been "alodined" rather than anodized. Alodining improves corrosion resistance but also greatly enhances paint adhesion a sta -its a standard process in the aerospace industry.
Alodining is done after mild phosphoric acid wash - most likely Alumiprep (a trade name and the one I use) or an equivalent.
There are 2 types of alodine - the soft gold colour like your boat and also a clear. Most people use the gold tinted colour so you know the job is done. Its "self-rejecting" too; the gold colour only gets so dark and then the process stops working.
Anybody who paints aluminum boats probably has their own favorites as regards alloy prep prior to painting but based on many prep jobs, I can vouch for the Alumiprep / Alodine process. I even did a whole DHC-7 commuter aircraft fuselage myself awhile back - went through reams of scotchbrite, gallons of di-ionized water and had a sore shoulder for 3 months LOL.
Not to be a complete thread robber, but gold alodining aluminum parts and then spraying with a UV blocking clear topcoat gives a very nice look at a cost far less than anodizing...
Love your boat and motor.
Pat

Pat - they were doing this back in the 1950's? According to the catalogs they were in fact anodized. It was just cosmetic - offered in blue or gold (or plain).

pacomotorstuff said:
More probably, the exterior of your boat has been "alodined" rather than anodized. Alodining improves corrosion resistance but also greatly enhances paint adhesion a sta -its a standard process in the aerospace industry.
Alodining is done after mild phosphoric acid wash - most likely Alumiprep (a trade name and the one I use) or an equivalent.
There are 2 types of alodine - the soft gold colour like your boat and also a clear. Most people use the gold tinted colour so you know the job is done. Its "self-rejecting" too; the gold colour only gets so dark and then the process stops working.
Anybody who paints aluminum boats probably has their own favorites as regards alloy prep prior to painting but based on many prep jobs, I can vouch for the Alumiprep / Alodine process. I even did a whole DHC-7 commuter aircraft fuselage myself awhile back - went through reams of scotchbrite, gallons of di-ionized water and had a sore shoulder for 3 months LOL.
Not to be a complete thread robber, but gold alodining aluminum parts and then spraying with a UV blocking clear topcoat gives a very nice look at a cost far less than anodizing...
Love your boat and motor.
Pat

I would have to check my sources but alodining was probably done back as far as WWII if not before then.
The fact that both the inner and outer skins of major portions of your hull have that golden hue would seem to suggest a production rate surface finish process.
At deHavillands, we had 8 foot by 24 foot aluminiprepping and alodining baths so we could run standard mill run aluminum as an ongoing process.
The only other comment I could make, based on far too many years experience involved in what Engineering designed, Manufacturing built and Sales sold is that, anodized hulls... maybe yes, maybe no.
It's all a moot point anyway, as what you and your family have decided to preserve and enjoy is far more important than what some yabbo did in 1957.
I gather shortly you will be starting a new website called "Do the 25mph on water"... or some such? I'm thinking a 3 bucket prop with an Evinrude or Johnson 25HP motor in siluoette in the background will be the new "must have" jacket patch...
Sign me up as a supporter and tell me how much the new patches will be. I have 2, 1950's motors and a partly built wooden boat dying to get out there.
Pat.

pacomotorstuff said:
I gather shortly you will be starting a new website called "Do the 25mph on water"... or some such? I'm thinking a 3 bucket prop with an Evinrude or Johnson 25HP motor in siluoette in the background will be the new "must have" jacket patch...
Sign me up as a supporter and tell me how much the new patches will be. I have 2, 1950's motors and a partly built wooden boat dying to get out there.
Pat.

+1 ;D But don't say it too loud...The hipsters might hear

Hipsters can't get boats, they live in teeny tiny downtown apartments. Unless they get inflatables like a Zodiacs.

Oops.

what about coating the inside with that unsinkable screen door stuff ?
cupl dozen cans oughta doit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51PzHwCSh1U

Just a thought (I don't know if you have considered this or not) but on my boat, underneath the seats and bulkhead in the bow there is flotation foam and after 57 years it dissolves and does not do its job any more. It is strongly recommended that this is replaced as a safety precaution. My seat caps are pop riveted on i will be removing them later today to replace the foam.

I posted my build thread on Iboats last night and there is a TON of help on there. These were the people who alerted me to the foam, something I never would have thought about replacing otherwise. I think those people would love to see your project and have really good help/ideas.

Here is my thread http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/1956-duratech-s-13r-project-pop-can-630193.html#post4399758 see posts 5-9 for info on the foam.

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I just found it today. Since I sold my Honda I don't come here much.

During the late 1950's, Feather Crafts came from the factory in either a blue or gold anodized finish. Your Tee Nee with the bubble fenders and built in winch stand is the most desirable of the vintage boat trailers. If you haven't found it, yet, there is a website and forum dedicated to Feather Crafts. I am very familiar with both Feather Craft's and Tee Nee's. Drop me a line if you have any boat or motor questions or if you want to get out on the water sometime. There are a number of us Feather Craft owners in and around the GTA and we are all members of the Antique Outboard Motor Club.

Yep - I'm on the FeatherCraft forum (as slow as it is). My boat is being worked on - the hull is at a repair shop getting a bunch of aluminum work done / water tested. The engine is in my garage just waiting for a tune-up and I need to source some steering linkage cables/pulleys and some new throttle cables.

Then it's assembly time :)

Back
Top Bottom