1984 Honda vf1000f interceptor

<---- Jealous as Fuck!
I had a VF1000R a while back and have been keeping an eye out for a reasonably priced replacement.
I have the F as a 'second choice' in that search, but even they are getting hard to find in good shape/reasonable price.

I would have much rather had the r, but this one I just kinda happened upon. I wasn't even looking, but I couldn't pass it up. I personally have never seen one on the road

Redbird said:
<---- Jealous as Fuck!
I had a VF1000R a while back and have been keeping an eye out for a reasonably priced replacement.
I have the F as a 'second choice' in that search, but even they are getting hard to find in good shape/reasonable price.
I bet you could buy it for little more than a few #sadhandies.

Another evening of fiddling with these carbs. Got them stripped down. At least as far as they are coming apart. They were pretty well laqoured up.
2fd080581e787d034238aa1c93c7a231.jpg

63ff560425e611ef8c92a88d3b734c7a.jpg

Genius me broke one of the fuel rails taking them father apart than I should have, only to find that replacements are not available.
25ec09c56bbdd0ec77f40076a17ba74f.jpg

Once again the old south bend 9 saves the day.
793b90502b93eef48fff325993537db2.jpg

4cefa83a9a482f85bd067cd878cef266.jpg

Soaking the bank in pinesol. Gonna try to get them back together tomorrow before I start losing little pieces
b95b6a4f882d82619c4f1dbcc01f33c2.jpg

Here's the inside view of the jb weld fix. Still not sure how this happened in the first place...
1a483ecc5a65a50b697de976b3f7aa68.jpg

Oh yeah, someone was trying way too hard to pull those crabs.

I use that same pinesol/sander setup for cleaning carbs, works great. Though the crystallization after rinsing always bothers me a bit, but I think that's the result of hard water on clean aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Yeah these carbs had a bad time at some point in their life!

Anyhow, couldn't sleep, so I finished cleaning and put the carbs back together. Gonna tear into the valve adjustment tomorrow

ed2e074da1acc9bbdbeccf98a6ed5dbf.jpg

adventurco said:
Oh yeah, someone was trying way too hard to pull those crabs.

I use that same pinesol/sander setup for cleaning carbs, works great. Though the crystallization after rinsing always bothers me a bit, but I think that's the result of hard water on clean aluminum.

Have you tried using de-ionised water? Worked for me.

semmins said:
Have you tried using de-ionised water? Worked for me.

I'll give that a shot next time I have some filthy carbs to clean. Thanks for the tip. I knew someone had a trick for it.

Distilled from the grocery or drug store is good too, like what you use to flush a radiator etc. 0 minerals to clog up stuff.

We've got a runner. After coaxing the carbs back in with a multitude of un orthodox and barbaric methods, hooked up a battery, water bottle full of boom juice and away she went. Needs some carb adjustment, still. But got it warm enough for an oil change. Still gotta flush the hydro clutch and brakes, change pads and flush out the tank, but shouldn't be a big deal. May make barber yet!

eda88b06504388c8983d8a6b59a67288.jpg

YOU da man! I'll be down w/ my brain bucket. ;D 8)

Sounds like there wasn't a CDI problem after all, huh?

ridesolo said:
YOU da man! I'll be down w/ my brain bucket. ;D 8)

Sounds like there wasn't a CDI problem after all, huh?
Thankfully not. All seemed as it should be. I do have to try to track some parts down at b&b Saturday, wanna ride along?

Sometimes the CDI will start the bike and let it rev to 4K or so but it won't go higher, hope that isn't your issue, did it rev ok? I can't watch the vid at work to know, no speakers. Nice work with the dowel and 4x2 LOL.

Maritime said:
Sometimes the CDI will start the bike and let it rev to 4K or so but it won't go higher, hope that isn't your issue, did it rev ok? I can't watch the vid at work to know, no speakers. Nice work with the dowel and 4x2 LOL.

hmmm I didn't pay that close of attention to the tach, but im pretty sure that it made it over the 4k mark a couple times. ill check it out next time I fire it up.

Also, that helped get them close, but to seat them clear back in I literally crawled up on the rack and bounced up and down till they popped in.

Ha, that sounds about right on those bloody v4 carbs, I have only worked on a newer version of that motor and did not need to touch the carbs thank God. it would have sucked

Maritime said:
Ha, that sounds about right on those bloody v4 carbs, I have only worked on a newer version of that motor and did not need to touch the carbs thank God. it would have sucked

these would have been fine if they didn't gel up for 8 years from sitting haha

Yep, you really want to use Stabil for short storage or full drain for long storage on these suckers

Back
Top Bottom