Down under, an idiot and a 400F

hey Neevo, if you are going to run a rectifier I would allow for some air to get to it. Since you are going to run that pan just something to think about before hand. The build is looking good.

GoingsMoto said:
hey Neevo, if you are going to run a rectifier I would allow for some air to get to it. Since you are going to run that pan just something to think about before hand. The build is looking good.

Good point. I will cut some discrete vents so some air flushes under the seat to the electrics under the rear seat bump.

Can you get a small version of this so I can put some proper vents in the under seat area:

images

If you solid mount the reg/rec to the plate you have under the seat it will act as a heat sink and draw the heat away from it.

hillsy said:
If you solid mount the reg/rec to the plate you have under the seat it will act as a heat sink and draw the heat away from it.

Good idea! I planned on some cross bracing in the seat bump anyway. I could attach it to that.

Nice job so far man your going down the same road i did two years ago when i did my 400/4 F1
The brake master cylinder i got from david silvers is a really good repo and was the same price as the referb kit!!!!
carbs are a real lotory when buying say on ebay but are easy to bring up to scrach D.S do a good carb kit and well worth the money
for pic ref my one is called
from rat to cafe CB400/4
keep up the good work mate

Picked up my latest eBay purchase today:

004af80d.jpg

Needed some fettling to get it running sweet but for only $50 I was chuffed to bits.

Plan was to use it to drill out my rotor and rear brake arm so I headed down to Bunnings and blew $90 on drill bits and lube.

Just starting:

04c12521.jpg

All done:

fa2b7e26.jpg

Nearly got all the way through with the one bit, the curls were coming off at an amazing rate.

All done:

30cf0863.jpg

What's the best way to finish the disc off?

Use your new toy!
I chucked up a large (4") sanding disc into my Drill press and with the plywood on the work surface to protect it. The clamps not only held the plywood on but locted the rotor by coming right up to its edge. When I cranked down of the drill press handle the rotor spins slowly and it sanded it very evenly.

Hoosier Daddy said:
Use your new toy!
I chucked up a large (4") sanding disc into my Drill press and with the plywood on the work surface to protect it. The clamps not only held the plywood on but locted the rotor by coming right up to its edge. When I cranked down of the drill press handle the rotor spins slowly and it sanded it very evenly.

Genius!

Hoosier Daddy said:
Use your new toy!
I chucked up a large (4") sanding disc into my Drill press and with the plywood on the work surface to protect it. The clamps not only held the plywood on but locted the rotor by coming right up to its edge. When I cranked down of the drill press handle the rotor spins slowly and it sanded it very evenly.[/img]

Yes indeed. I used an ocky strap around the handles to pull down an even but gentle pressure on the pad. Works a treat.

These drill presses are very versatile things.

cheers
ian

So strapped the trusty wire wheels to the drill to tidy up the disc faces. Turns out they are also brilliant for removing grime and also paint so I went to town on the disc:

03c8c634.jpg

Even drilled my brake arm, will be polished in the end:

013a031e.jpg

Holy hell, that seemed to have done the trick! What drill bit did you use that you only needed 1 of them....(I've never drilled rotors before) Looks great man.

MotorbikeBruno said:
Holy hell, that seemed to have done the trick! What drill bit did you use that you only needed 1 of them....(I've never drilled rotors before) Looks great man.

4.5mm cobalt bit from my local hardware store. Went really slow (let the bit pull itself through with gentle pressure) and lots of lubricating oil (used 3/4 of a small bottle).

I thought these things were supposed to be hard but it went waaaaay to easy.

You sure they weren't chinese rotors? :eek: :p Just kidding. If I decide to go that route with another bike I'll keep that in mind. My Kz550 had them drilled from the factory :p !

Christmas came early today :)

Went to a local tube bender and got my custom rear hoop, rear frame upright, replacement lower section, spare pipe and custom turned sleeves:

5d4df80d.jpg

4fed773e.jpg

Buggered up the hoop inserts (the stepped down section is too small) but some grinder work will fix that.

Cannot recommend the supplier enough, fast turn around, great communication and the whole lot was only $140 :)

Edit: pleased to say its all a perfect match/fit.

Also been looking at replacement shocks and like the look of CB900F ones. Anyone know if they will fit?

I am going to do a test fitting of parts soon to see if I need to raise the back a little, going for a forward lean look.

neevo said:
Also been looking at replacement shocks and like the look of CB900F ones. Anyone know if they will fit?

mounts will fit. 900 shocks are 365mm long. Any help?

cheers
ian

Back
Top Bottom