Down under, an idiot and a 400F

Yeah it's hard to resist the temptation to throw cash at it, if it wasn't for the missus I would have all the parts in the shed right now.

It's good though because I look to reuse what came on the bike rather than essentially putting all new stuff on it, that's not the same. Your right too, it's easier to be proud of something you toiled over :)

Tackling the top triple today. When I bought the bike the lower handlebar clamps had the bolts snapped off in all 4 holes. Didn't matter as I was going to have the clamps milled off anyway.

Couldn't be bothered in getting someone to mill the clamps, I don't have a mill at home, so I thought I would crack out the trusty grinder again! Took ages to cut through the clamps but got them both off in the end:

7101bbe9.jpg

Kept shaving sections off to try and match the contours of the clamp:

274bf605.jpg

Finished off with a flapping wheel and brass brush drill attachment:

43ea36d0.jpg

Still got some old paint to get rid off, probably going to powder coat them black when I get the frame done anyway, but they do look quite nice brushed.

Enclosing underneath the rear frame so that my wiring is hidden and I think it tidies up the rear of the bike a bit.

First folded over a bit of card and made a template:

8e14ada7.jpg

Transferred this to my sheet of steel:

833f4de1.jpg

Curved the front slightly:

a84fa0c8.jpg

And voila!

97363c0d.jpg

Questions:

1. Am I going to have clearance issues with the back wheel?
2. Do I need any drain holes, just in case some water gets in there?

Also what are people doing for mud flaps? I was going to reuse the original one but if there is an alternative I would love to hear it.

Cool project Neevo - I just read all 7 pages.

I can't really help with the rear tire clearance, but I would recommend some holes. Water shouldn't be TOO much of a problem (but is it humid in your part of OZ?) but a little general airflow never really hurts anything.

And as far as the front & rear suspension/brakes: a lot of older Honda's used the same parts. Caliper, rotor, forks, etc, can be swapped around with a little research.

Good point Ryan, I was on auto pilot trying not to take off too much but your right, it would look better with a continuous line at the back. Will have to check the holes underneath do not go to close to where I want to cut or it will end up too thin in material.

Made a template for my brake arm this morning, going to make it out of 6mm aluminium with some speed holes.

957edc24.jpg

Great progress! I saw that bike on eBay and thought it looked nearly too far gone, so big kudos to you for embarking on the project. I'll be following with interest (and some trepidation - you've never had an angle grinder blade shatter on you, have you? I have, and carry the scars. Now all my power tools have the guards installed).

Good luck!

Niiioce, I did the same thing with my frame. Its a cool feeling when it fits like a glove. The brake arm sounds cool. I need to find a nice place to buy aluminum for cheap. The tank is looking sweet too.

Kwality said:
Great progress! I saw that bike on eBay and thought it looked nearly too far gone, so big kudos to you for embarking on the project. I'll be following with interest (and some trepidation - you've never had an angle grinder blade shatter on you, have you? I have, and carry the scars. Now all my power tools have the guards installed).

Good luck!

You were right not to buy it! Damaged frame, no carbs and a buggered cam and journal. But, it was affordable for me and I would have struggled to get on the cafe ladder with any decent bike for less than a grand.

I actually like the fact it was soo bad, makes the end result even more satisfying.

Good reminder about the grinder, I will pop the guard back on tonight. I do always wear ear and eyes protection, the guard does make it a bit difficult to get into some of the spots, oh well, would prefer to keep my skin as it is.

1976cb356 said:
Niiioce, I did the same thing with my frame. Its a cool feeling when it fits like a glove.

Got any pics? Keen to see others and how they have done it, particularly rear tyre clearance.

neevo said:
Got any pics? Keen to see others and how they have done it, particularly rear tyre clearance.
I dont think I have any pics back when I did it, I have the finished product. I think all I did was take crappy cell phone pics and then my cellphone stopped working (non memory card type). But mine clears, but I dont have the full rear loop, and my shocks in the back are pretty stiff. I guess that doesnt really help...if it means anything, I think it will be fine.

Any pics would be good, even of the bike now, trying to visualize what it's going to look like, but not many around with the rear section boxed in.

Someone help me out, how am I supposed to get these exhaust flanges off! I have removed the inner 1/2 sections but they still seem a fraction too small to clear the collar on the headers. What am I missing?

fb23227c.jpg

The one on the end I thought I would force a bit with a hammer but I not sure if that's the right direction:

f741fbb6.jpg

I took mine off the other way, removed mufflers and they just slid off, I don't think they are supposed to come off that way?

neevo said:
Good point Ryan, I was on auto pilot trying not to take off too much but your right, it would look better with a continuous line at the back. Will have to check the holes underneath do not go to close to where I want to cut or it will end up too thin in material.

Made a template for my brake arm this morning, going to make it out of 6mm aluminium with some speed holes.

957edc24.jpg

Here's a tip I used on one of my top yokes [ modified as yours ]. I too was a little concerned about the depth of the recess' underneath possibly affecting the strength. Not having access to alloy welding, I made up an alloy plate [ 1/8" ] and attached it with countersunk screws [ underneath ] and then just fettled the edges in to blend in with the yoke.

Ryanh said:
All welders are (or at least these days in aus they are) trained to a national standard in aus,

In Australia everybody is trained at a national standard for something.....it sounds good until you see what the actual national standard is....

Ryanh said:
I took mine off the other way, removed mufflers and they just slid off, I don't think they are supposed to come off that way?

They must do, the other way all 4 headers converge into 1 and so they won't go that way.

neevo said:
They must do, the other way all 4 headers converge into 1 and so they won't go that way.

Looks to me like they were put on before the flanges were welded on? You may have to cut the pipes to remove them.

ian

With the original header setup they just slip off the end. You have an aftermarket system, so the setup may well be different. are the flanges welded on?

Kwality said:
With the original header setup they just slip off the end. You have an aftermarket system, so the setup may well be different. are the flanges welded on?

I can't see any noticeable welds, I will see if I can hit them off after a bit of heat.

Can anyone identify the headers, I thought they were stock :-[

Back
Top Bottom