CB 450 twin. I said I needed a project

cardinal

Been Around the Block
I've been without a bike since selling my old CB160 about two years ago. It was a fun little town bike, but I've been looking for something bigger. Having since moved to Texas and now that I have a bit more room, I'm ready to take on a project. My wife thinks I'm crazy because I'm more into the thought of working on the bike than thinking about riding it (though I'm really into that as well!).

Mid sized CBs seem to have a premium placed on them just because, so I was looking for something like an SR500 or a KZ750 twin to turn into a cafe/ tracker bike. Along came this 450 and it sold for one dollar per cc, so I decided to snap it up. The PO bought it non-running and planned to get it rolling, but had accumulated a long list of higher priority projects, so was willing to let it go. He said the last owner that had it running experienced the cam chain wearing a hole in the case. He parked it and it's sat for 15 years.

So I need to tear into it and see whether it's repairable or it's going to need a replacement. Figured I might do some other mods while I'm at it. This is going to take a while because I have a life outside of this project, but I am planning on documenting the whole thing here and would love any feedback from those of you that have it to give.

Attachments

• IMG_0676.JPG
    IMG_0676.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 523
$450 bucks isn't bad place to start with a DOHC 450, they are great bikes, I love the hell outta mine. Parts can still be had all over, I know I spent lots of time digging through ebay and other places looking for stuff. Looks like that is a 74? Most of the shifting internal issues should have been solved by then but you should at least check the shift rollers that hold the drum in place for wear. Good cam followers are also hard to find and prolly the most expensive piece on the bike to replace $/lb. The valve train takes a little getting used to when you first start messing with it but they do make quite a bit more power because of it.

Where bout's in Texas?

I'm in Austin frogman. Thanks for the notes it is a '74. I plan on pulling the engine this weekend so I can look into the top end and get the extent of the damage in there. I've been looking into TIG welding the case to repair it. The tank is in pretty rough shape inside and out, so I'll be looking for a replacement. I really like those older squarish 350 tanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0678.JPG
    IMG_0678.JPG
    603.6 KB · Views: 495
  • IMG_0679.JPG
    IMG_0679.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 497
Not a bad start there. Another fellow Texan, I just moved to the Houston area (from New England) about 6 months ago.

That tank can likely be saved. Use some Phosphoric Prep-n-Etch from Home Depot, remove/plug the petcock, and dump the whole jug in there. Swish it around and I like to let it set at different angles rotating every 15 minutes or so until you've got the whole tank. Empty it out back into the jug as you can save and reuse the stuff.

advCo said:
That tank can likely be saved. Use some Phosphoric Prep-n-Etch from Home Depot, remove/plug the petcock, and dump the whole jug in there. Swish it around and I like to let it set at different angles rotating every 15 minutes or so until you've got the whole tank. Empty it out back into the jug as you can save and reuse the stuff.

Howdy! Thanks for the tip. I'm just unsure if I want to put any work into it at all. It has good sized dents on both sides and I'm not that fond of this tank shape. Maybe I'll just sell it for a few bucks and hunt for the tank I want. Thinking about one of those old 350 four tanks...

Attachments

• 350 tank.jpg
    350 tank.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1,221
I do like the 350f tanks although not sure about fitment on these bikes. As long as the tunnel works mounts are easy to fab up.

frogman said:
I do like the 350f tanks although not sure about fitment on these bikes. As long as the tunnel works mounts are easy to fab up.

It's a direct fit.... almost. It's a little short, need a different rear mount. Here it is on what's left of a 450 frame.

Attachments

• IMG_20161126_180813.jpg
    IMG_20161126_180813.jpg
    602.8 KB · Views: 503
jag767 said:
It's a direct fit.... almost. It's a little short, need a different rear mount. Here it is on what's left of a 450 frame.

I've been eyeing that monster you are putting together jag767. That's some innovative stuff! Love that tank.

cardinal said:
I've been eyeing that monster you are putting together jag767. That's some innovative stuff! Love that tank.

Haha thanks, still a few things to do but i'm over the hump, I think. Tank needs a lot of work yet, but I think I will try to stick with it. I love the 350f tanks, just a nice piece.

Oh, and if you need motor parts, I have a whole one I don't need and am willing to sell parts out of, or the whole thing.

jag767 said:
Oh, and if you need motor parts, I have a whole one I don't need and am willing to sell parts out of, or the whole thing.

Great to know! Is the top end in good shape? I may just take you up on that.

Spent a couple hours getting a closer look. Pulled the carbs and surprise, they look like they've been sitting for 15 years! How heavy are these motors? I've never had one out. Wondering if I need to call help before getting a hernia trying to lift it onto my workbench.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 37.jpg
    FullSizeRender 37.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 504
  • FullSizeRender 36.jpg
    FullSizeRender 36.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 498
  • FullSizeRender 38.jpg
    FullSizeRender 38.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 493
Got the motor out! It was a struggle to get it up on the bench, but my guts didn't bust out, so I think I managed. My workbench hasn't had such an important job till now, so I figured it should get a big clean. I have a big aversion to pegboard, it's promise of modular storage seems to always fall into a mish mash of "i think this goes here" and you end up with a vertical junk drawer. I'm going to rip that shit down as soon as I have someone to take it away.

Now I think I'm ready to dig in and see if I can fix this, or if I'll be trying to source a motor.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 40.jpg
    FullSizeRender 40.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 485
  • FullSizeRender 39.jpg
    FullSizeRender 39.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 494
  • FullSizeRender 41.jpg
    FullSizeRender 41.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 501
john83 said:
J.B. Weld.

That's a joke. Before the hate mail starts.
Don't be a tool John. Jb weld may be good enough for airplanes, but don't bring that noise into the custom motorcycle scene, you savage.

Back
Top Bottom