CB350 Scrambler Siblings

540Nova said:
Did you make that spoon out of a lawnmower blade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
540Nova said:
That's awesome! I have that same Mossy Oak mug, love it. I TIG welded a handle onto it.

This mug is a Yeti, probably the same as the mossy oak. It's my most valued tool.

I make my slappers from leaf springs like the old-timers did.

ncologerojr said:
Get at it! I can get this same result without the e-wheel by planishing with the slapper and dolly. Just takes a little longer. I make my slapper's the old fashion way from a leaf spring. $30 at tractor supply gets you a trailer spring with enough leaves for several slappers. A nice egg dolly is about $45. For $75 you can make a lot of parts.

Cool. That's not bad at all. Got any pics of your setup?

advCo said:
Cool. That's not bad at all. Got any pics of your setup?

Do you mean my shop set-up? Not really. There's not too much to see. You can see most of it in the background of the pics in this thread.

ncologerojr said:
This mug is a Yeti, probably the same as the mossy oak. It's my most valued tool.

I make my slappers from leaf springs like the old-timers did.
I make pry bars out of leaf springs too. I am so mad I lost my original leaf spring pry bar about 3 months ago, I made it when I was about 15 with my dad :mad:.
Awesome work here, love the fab stuff, it's my favorite thing to do albeit not up to you level.

johnu said:
I make pry bars out of leaf springs too. I am so mad I lost my original leaf spring pry bar about 3 months ago, I made it when I was about 15 with my dad :mad:.
Awesome work here, love the fab stuff, it's my favorite thing to do albeit not up to you level.

Thanks man. It's all about practice.

I got started on the front fender mounts yesterday. Still a lot of work left.

c631dbea20ef8bcc14c3c6065c460bd0.jpg

b3a78bc66796ba39da1aca89edebc481.jpg

Parts going off to paint in the morning. I'm still a hack when it comes to building bikes, but it always feels good looking at a table full of my own handmade parts.

0898e1e4691b75217b96429c53fb9868.jpg

ncologerojr said:
Parts going off to paint in the morning. I'm still a hack when it comes to building bikes, but it always feels good looking at a table full of my own handmade parts.

0898e1e4691b75217b96429c53fb9868.jpg

Paint :eek: Why not polish one then do the scotchbrite finish on the other one? You are going to cover up all that excellent craftsmanship ???

johnu said:
Paint :eek: Why not polish one then do the scotchbrite finish on the other one? You are going to cover up all that excellent craftsmanship ???

It's always bitter sweet. Paint actually shows off shapes better than polishing. But, only I'll know that the body man gets to take it easy on my parts.

ncologerojr said:
I'm still a hack when it comes to building bikes,

sir, as the appointed representative of the local bodgers and hackers association, I must take exception to your above statement. until you see fit to make badly shaped bits of crap out of old street signs and traffic light shrouds, please refrain form calling yourself a hack. please refer to yourself as a craftsman for you are surely of that despised guild that us lot can only aspire to

lovely work. do you fancy a holiday in Australia to do a bit of your sort of hacking on my (hopefully soon) future 750/4 scrambler? unpaid of course, as you clearly only do this sort of thing as a labour of love

spotty said:
sir, as the appointed representative of the local bodgers and hackers association, I must take exception to your above statement. until you see fit to make badly shaped bits of crap out of old street signs and traffic light shrouds, please refrain form calling yourself a hack. please refer to yourself as a craftsman for you are surely of that despised guild that us lot can only aspire to

lovely work. do you fancy a holiday in Australia to do a bit of your sort of hacking on my (hopefully soon) future 750/4 scrambler? unpaid of course, as you clearly only do this sort of thing as a labour of love

Well, thank you. But, compared to the craftsmen that I look up to, I am just a hack. Take a look at Ryan's work at R.A.W. Body Design and Fabrication. He's on your side of the pond near Melbourne. Ryan is a real craftsman and a hell of a nice guy. He has a lot of stuff up on Facebook.
I get some money for my bikes, but not much at all. The sales just allow me to keep building. It is still very much a labor of love.
I would fancy a holiday in Australia though!

that's some spectacular work he's doing there
he's actually only a few miles from my place, I live up in the hills outside Melbourne in a tiny place called Kalorama, we're both hillbillies it seems. I shall have to chase up a visit next time i'm out that way
being up in the hills is one of the reasons I want to build the worlds 2nd biggest trailbike (I've seen a CB900 in full enduro trim a long time ago), we're a bit bushfire prone up there and I might need it to get the hell out straight down the side of the hill one day. another reason is mrs spotty won't let me buy any more bikes so I gotta go with what I've got and the Vmax just isn't a candidate for the dirt

spotty said:
that's some spectacular work he's doing there
he's actually only a few miles from my place, I live up in the hills outside Melbourne in a tiny place called Kalorama, we're both hillbillies it seems. I shall have to chase up a visit next time i'm out that way
being up in the hills is one of the reasons I want to build the worlds 2nd biggest trailbike (I've seen a CB900 in full enduro trim a long time ago), we're a bit bushfire prone up there and I might need it to get the hell out straight down the side of the hill one day. another reason is mrs spotty won't let me buy any more bikes so I gotta go with what I've got and the Vmax just isn't a candidate for the dirt

Yeah, Ryan is a real master. I chat with him from time to time. He's a super nice guy and is always willing to let me pick his brain.

That 750 trail bike is going to be a challenge. Is it Sohc or a dohc model? I would say that the front suspension will be the biggest hurdle. Try finding a beefy and longer than stock front end. You'll want to increase your ground clearance while also increasing, or at least maintaining, the stock trail numbers once you extend the rear shocks. Everything else should be pretty easy.

jones562 said:
What tires are those. Build looks great!

Sent from my SM-N920T using DO THE TON mobile app

Thanks. They are Shinko's. I don't remember the model off the top of my head. But they are the same as I used on my last cb350 build, and I believe I listed the model in that build thread.

This gives me the James may "fizz" if my build turns out half as good as this I'll b wrapped

Back
Top Bottom