To clear coat my new frame paint job or not?

kioskguy

Vintage Bike Fan
I just rattle can painted my CL450 frame with a Duplicolor metal flake paint. I like the color and it went on very well. I'm wondering if I should clear coat over it since it is not an engine enamel.

I'm not sure about clear coat on a frame. Will it make it harder to do touch ups later? This is not an engine paint so I almost feel like it needs it... but not sure. Here is the paint (burnt copper MS100) http://www.duplicolor.com/products/metalSpecks/

The paint feels almost too rough or flat. I'm thinking a clear coat may be a good way to toughen it up a bit and keep it cleaner.

Thoughts? Recommendations on clear coat (duplicolor clear enamel or clear laquer?)

Attachments

• Frame being painted.jpg
    Frame being painted.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 1,723
read the can you shot the base in, the clear has to be the same
ie: you shot an enamel base you need an enamel clear, and vice versa... i like to use the same clear as brand of paint as i shot

JRK5892 said:
read the can you shot the base in, the clear has to be the same
ie: you shot an enamel base you need an enamel clear, and vice versa... i like to use the same clear as brand of paint as i shot

Agree wit Joe here. I never seem to have issues using the same brand and type. I've gotten away with mixing brands, but every time I've had a weird issue, it's been mixing brands.

Cool. I'm off to the store to buy some Duplicolor clear. I'll post up results when I'm finished.

Not sure if I'll have time to coat it before I ride my BMW R60 /5 to the Chicago Mods & Rockers event this weekend. Hope to see some of you guys there!

Had to call Duplicolor to clarify if the paint was enamel or laquer. It's acrylic Laquer. He also stated that we can clear coat over it with enamel (what I chose) or laquer clear coat. But you cannot put laquer clear over enamel paint because it eats away at the paint molecules.

I also have to wait 7 days for cure time since I didn't clear coat within the first 48 hrs. No worries there.

Thought I'd share.

I'm wondering 'bout clear on a frame as well.

Although i'm a painter i'm a bit hesitant to use a 2 pack clear cos i think it may be a bit too brittle.

However i did find this

http://www.permanentpaintedcoatings.co.nz/por15/Data_Sheets/glisten%20pc%20NEW%202010.pdf

POR makes some great stuff, ive used it a few times with good results. However ive never used this product. if you do choose this route... let us know how it turned out and if it worked well.

Im currently going to do the frame on my truck with Rustolium (poor mans POR fram coating) since it will be a driver not a show piece.

Back
Top Bottom