SR250 Cafe build

cosworth

Coast to Coast
Ok, I skipped the usual introduction post and I posted a couple images etc. and I thought I should start a build thread since I'd like to pass on anything I find out for the next guy or someone reads my build thread and fills me in on something that helps me out.

First off I want to give a shout out to barkingmadspeedshop. He's looked in his shop for some parts for me given me some great advice and even put up with me being a no show when he invited me over to see his home shop and builds. Stand up guy.

So, the bike. Saw an ad online and drove out into the bush (Lake Cowichan) to grab it. Traded my old gas powered pressure washer that I paid $100 for and I got two scooters with no plastics in the deal. Sold the scooters for $100 so I can justify saying I got his for free since I paid that for the pressure washer.

So it came with no title and a pair or li-ion batteries. The chrome was in good shape and it has new Cheng Shin tires on it. Fork seals are great, chain is dead, etc. It runs, but once I ripped the airbox out it runs like crap. I hope to have some secondary main 130 and primary main 155 jets to start as a base once it's sorta done.

Goal, dummy build it, sort out the bugs, find my mistakes, ride it for the summer then pull it apart in the winter and paint the frame and motor. A two stage build process. That way, it's not a box of parts and a frame and I don't get married to a couple of dead end ideas.

If and when I finish the build I'll post after pics in this first post and add some page numbers to the milestones. Started with this:

oE9sHcm.jpg

Decided on some chinese clip ons and rear Ohlins copies, $150 total.

So the seat and tank got lined up and I was coaxed into ditching the stock tank. Thankfully. So a mototlanna seat was imported, $200 and a $5 ebay led taillight. The light was too high, the speedo I got off ebay for $40 was too high as well. I fabbed a light bracket but decided to ditch it yesterday. I'll tighten the clocks and lights up a bit more later on. I have an LED taillight and will go with an LED headlight too. Take it easy on the vintage charging system.

XookYsl.jpg

9T5b5rx.jpg

A GT380 tank was had for $40. $5 in sheet metal and some grinding along with say $5 in wire and ArCo2 and the knee indents are half done. I literally sat on the bike and traced my knee along the tank with a Sharpie for the shape.

Mig welding on the lowest setting and cranking up the gas to 20 netted some non pinhole penetration. My welding skills are ok, but I really see that I'd prefer a tig in the shop. Oxy/acetylene just seems so archaic now. I've lowered the rear of the seat for a flat line stance. Don't worry. I've hacked off about 30 pounds of iron and plastic off the bike so far.

U5EHOpp.jpg

VlxiuVP.jpg

Ok, today I did some shaping and hammering. I want to share a little secret. I have a 2 1/2 inch hitch ball I mount in my vise to use for tight radius shaping. It works great with just a pall pein hammer. I made two passes with the mig just to make sure and quenched the sheet metal with a wet rag as I went to reduce warpage. Anyone that says a real welder doesn't use a grinder doesn't make pretty things that needs paint. I'll tidy this up a bit more before I get the bondo out to fill the craters and hammer marks etc.

CPFK286.jpg

Hi3CQKz.jpg

So the seat was two inches narrower than the tank. The stock tank holds 10 litres, the GT380 tank holds 15 litres. Although now, I would assume the tank holds 13.5 litres with an inch taken out of the ass end.

8ynGewz.jpg

SYYzJ3X.jpg

So there we have it, my first bike build. Please, tell me what I should be reconsidering or what have you. I'm really open to suggestions. I want to build what I WANT yes, but I want a fun commuter that turns heads. No trailer queen.

I really like your idea of using a trailer hitch ball for shaping metal, quite creative.

Thanks Matt. I can't believe how much brain power has been dedicated staring at the ceiling at night or out the window trying to picture how this tank mod would go down. I'm glad I did it today. I should have the other side done tomorrow then I can shape a bit more with some heat and get a bit more curve in the tank.

I'll see what my DIY electroplating experiment turns up and I might plate the inside of the tank just as a nice touch for $10 in vinegar.

firebane said:
You got a link for that speedo? I like the looks of it.

Stupid ebay doesn't keep bought items long enough. I looked pretty hard for this exact one bit there don't seem to be any for sale right now. The selling point for me was that it plugged right into my harness. Everything lit up correctly. And the speedo ratio was right too.

I'll keep looking though my feedback scores for the seller when I get a chance.

cosworth said:
Stupid ebay doesn't keep bought items long enough. I looked pretty hard for this exact one bit there don't seem to be any for sale right now. The selling point for me was that it plugged right into my harness. Everything lit up correctly. And the speedo ratio was right too.

I'll keep looking though my feedback scores for the seller when I get a chance.

Boo :(

Ok, tank is mounted and kickstand bud is on.

Z2sQpLn.jpg

sGnB81P.jpg

LdbnliB.jpg

Might do some stainless spokes over the winter. I like shiny spokes.

3owdRXK.jpg

I also tackled the left side of the tank. As careful and skilled of a welder I am (not an expert), I was chasing more pinholes than I wanted to. I had to curve the petcock reserve tube just a hair.

mqMhVt5.jpg

VVEX37l.jpg

firebane said:
You got a link for that speedo? I like the looks of it.

Did some digging through my paypal and found it:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Yamaha-Virago-XV-250-125-Speedometer-ASSY-Meter-km-h-/260755144139

This link will expire eventually so here is the text from it:

Yamaha Virago XV 250 125 Speedometer ASSY Meter km/h
Item # 260755144139

Here is the seller:

http://www.ebay.ca/usr/kakahc?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

I'm inclined to buy another one for a future yamaha build.

You might laugh, but the engineering and messing about to get this to happen took many hours. Hurricane rearsets on an SR250.

http://bit.ly/RI7hnz

I still prefer gas for welding tanks, but, as I don't have TIG I'll have to. You now have about 6 views ;D

Wait, I thought this was for the CB160? Oh well, I'll hang out regardless......

Left to do: wiring, mount lithium battery, tune the carb a bit, repack exhaust, kick the kickstand out a bit more.

Then once all the bugs are worked out: paint the frame, paint motor and make a triple for it.

vOBGZen.png

Back
Top Bottom