71' CB500 monoshock with no name...O2 sensor success!

Re: 71' CB500 monoshock with no name.

To be honest, it was brake cleaner, and wax/grease remover and a bunch of Q-tips. Not only do q-tips work great on your ears, they get in the fins quite well. So I was able to get all the grime out of the fins, then soda blasted it to get some of the flaking paint off etc. A little sanding here and there, and then repainted with engine enamel. If you read the can, you gotta do it in ONE day or you have to wait 7 days. So it was a coat of primer wait 20 min, coat of paint, wait 20 min coat of paint, then clear coat, then baked and all going well. :) Next up, get the pistons back into their home, and then I've got to pull the valves to see what they look like, and remove the oil seals and replace them.

Here's the cylinders back on! I was inspecting the insides where the chain goes and I thought it might have rubbed the sides. Upon further inspection, the last idiot to touch this motor bent the master link and it was very "loosely" on there and could move back and forth quite a bit (well, for a chain that is). So I'll be ordering up a new master for the chain as the chain itself doesn't look bad. Here's a nice shot of the painted engine back together. While waiting for the new cam chain master link, I'll be able to get at the head, and engine sidecovers, take a look at the clutch plates and oil pump. Starting to look good though!

56enginepainting_zpsa52d7486.jpg

FYI, there are many different "219"am chains with different diameter pins and different pin lengths. I went through a pile of them years ago trying to get the strongest pins and side plates for a race bike.

The point is that if it's a stock chain, a stock link should be fine, but if the link is loose or too long/short, it may be an aftermarket chain.

Is there anything stamped on the chain that might help me discern this? I'll take a look and get a clear picture of the "problem" I am seeing. Also, I think I'll have to get a cam chain breaker then don't I? I've got a regular chain press, breaker, but it's a tad large for this one :mad:

Here's the head. It looks like they were cleaned up at one point, but they didn't bother to clean the exhaust ports or anything other than cleaning the valves maybe. As I said before, this is the first time I've done ANY head work, so bear with me and my easy questions. Does anything look bad to anyone based on the pictures below? It looks like it might be a good idea to JUST BARELY lap the valves as they didn't look like they were seating perfectly, but this could have been due to the insane amount of RTV or whatever was used on the headgasket and head itself maybe? Let me know what you think, I'll be out of town until Sunday night. Thanks gents! 8)

58valvework_zps46f901da.jpg

63valvework_zps3dc40e69.jpg

62valvework_zpsc2dc8dc2.jpg

61valvework_zps45969cdf.jpg

60valvework_zpsd496c1f6.jpg

59valvework_zpsf2906392.jpg

Looks great man! Just clean em up and do a leakdown test afterwards. Or did you do that already? If not, clean everything up and put it back together with new seals. Then, lay the head on a flat surface and pour (to the edge) thin liquid like gasoline or thinner in the chambers - dont forget the sparkplugs ;)

Leave overnight and check next morning if liquid is still the same level. If so, go! If not, lap leaking valve(s) and check again.

I didn't check before hand, I really should have :(

I'll be out of town, so no progress until next Monday or so. Have a great weekend gents.

MotorbikeBruno said:
I didn't check before hand, I really should have :(

I'll be out of town, so no progress until next Monday or so. Have a great weekend gents.

yup, i would have saved you some work maybe.
p.s. last picture you posted looks a bit of rust on the valve tube? check it good, valves go up and down the shaft gazzilion times.

71' CB500 monoshock with no name.

Bert Jan said:
yup, i would have saved you some work maybe.
p.s. last picture you posted looks a bit of rust on the valve tube? check it good, valves go up and down the shaft gazzilion times.

How are you supposed to check valve guide is good? Is there a wiggle test or something similar to check its smoothness and wear

neevo said:
How are you supposed to check valve guide is good? Is there a wiggle test or something similar to check its smoothness and wear

good question, and to be honest, i don't know. I normally check for excessive play by wiggling a bit, but that's nowhere near precise, i know. rust in the hole can cause the valve and guide to wear faster. Soooo, just clean 'er up good i guess...

Thanks Bert, I'll check it out. I am pretty sure it was just carbon, but now I don't remember! ::)

Ok, back from "vacation" made a couple of bucks and now I can buy more parts! woohoo! ;)

Teazer, I can't seem to find any master links where I'm located. Pretty much everyone that sells a cam chain around here sells it as an endless chain. I would prefer not to have to pull the engine COMPLETELY apart if I don't have to. Any idea on a part number of any of the links you looked up before? I'll keep searching in the mean time. Next up: getting a brass wheel to clean up the valves and soda blasting the head/cleaning and degreasing it.

I just grabbed this from the all knowing Google oracle....

BF05T from Mikes XS and buy a couple of spare rivet links

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-26.html

Google heavy duty cam chains or 219H or BT05 and there should be lots of listings

So those rivet master links are the same as the stock chain that's in there?

Edit: or are you saying to buy a new chain with rivet and start over?

new camchain will set you back about 50, but well worth the money!! DO IT.

Yeah I decided to go that route, Herm at DCC got me taken care of. I'll get the continuous chain, pop a rivet out and get the master for it and press that on. Shouldn't be too bad. I've done several drive chains so I don't forsee it being too much trouble (may buy an extra cam chain master JUST in case!)

On to cleaning up the valves some more. I was out sick for a bit there :'( Must have been all the alcohol I consumed last weekend while snowboarding... ;)

Here's the pics of the valves. I'll take any thoughts as this is my first time doing them. The exhaust valves don't "look" like they are seating (except number1) but that's just my thought based on what the intake valves look like. I'll have to put them back in the head after I clean it up a bit, and see if anything leaks through.

Intake valves
64intakevalvesclean_zps1f6494d4.jpg

Exhaust valves
65exhaustvalvesclean_zps9b77685c.jpg

I noticed my bad english, haha I didn't mean Baked as in ME...I meant the paint on the cylinders etc!!! :p

Valves look like they all need to be ground. If you can find a local auto machine shop with Serdi machine, get the seats done at the same time.

To see how bad they really are now, use a small amount of fine grinding paste and give them a few rotations back and forth and clean them and post another picture of valves and seats.

Back
Top Bottom