71' CB500 monoshock with no name...O2 sensor success!

Re: 71' CB500 monoshock with no name.

That was my exact thought Teazer. I've called around and am waiting on 2 quotes for having a shop do 3 angle valve seat cutting and having them do it. Prices they showed on the net were about $160 to do that (if I read that correctly) which I don't see as TOO bad. I also bought all the stuff to do a quick lapping, but read all the horror stories on here about ruining valves etc. I know not to use a drill, and to do it slowly by hand while picking it up several times ----neat video on here somewhere. Anyways, thanks for the info, it confirms my lack of knowledge in headwork! Will a quick lap like that ruin the valves? Or do these not really have coatings like the new ones?

Well, contacted a local company that is reputable for doing headwork for racing etc...

He said cost is $162 + parts.

Being the inquisitive person I am... $162 is labor, it's a 3 angle valve seat cut, and parts are valve guides and/or valves them selves.

Honestly I'd like this done right, but knowing most shops, they will want new valves...which last time I looked were about $40 each for new valves OUCH. I suppose I can ask when I get there and go from there right!? Does that seem like a fair price too?

A little bit of work done as of now. New cam chain tossed in the engine. Waiting on a connecting link (master) as I pressed the one I had too much :'( oh well, live and learn!

And I got my new Wideband A/F tuner for all the carbureted monsters I have...and my Aprilia has had a shitty map since the day I got it...so I'm going to re-tune that thing so she's happy too!

Just got off the phone with my valve guy too! He re-cut the seats, and cleaned it all up, said I will just need to put it back together and I'm golden! $100 well spent!

66camchaininstall_zps43fe4234.jpg

67widebandtuning_zps8f0ee5be.jpg

That price sounds like Bill Bune. They do our cranks and seem to do a good job. Seemed like a lot, but 8 valves plus 8 seats is around 20 bucks a valve/seat combo and that's pretty reasonable.

I'd still give them a quick whirl with a lapping stick and fine compound just to see how they look.

ZT2 is a good idea too. I went Innovate and can't wait for the weather to improve so I can try it out.

teazer said:
That price sounds like Bill Bune. They do our cranks and seem to do a good job. Seemed like a lot, but 8 valves plus 8 seats is around 20 bucks a valve/seat combo and that's pretty reasonable.

I'd still give them a quick whirl with a lapping stick and fine compound just to see how they look.

ZT2 is a good idea too. I went Innovate and can't wait for the weather to improve so I can try it out.

I ended up taking it to a specialty guy up north a bit, Jim specializes in old tractors, motorcycles, race cars etc. Bune was a bit busy and he wanted 160 + parts for it. I asked Jim if he would do everything needed so that I could put it back together (thus taking me...a complete newbie to valve work...out of the equation). He said he'd lap them in at the end as well for me ;D Going to pick it up tonight! Teazer, do you know how they stake the cam chain master link....they look like solid rivets or whatever you call them.

Also, I was going to go with Innovate, but the emails I got while going back and forth with them while asking questions were condescending or just plain rude. You seem to know a bit more about engines/racing etc, so maybe my questions were beneath them. The guy from Zeitronics was very nice and answered my questions without any attitude, so I went with them instead. Seems like they all do the same thing, just in slightly different ways. I would love to see the info you gather while using yours. I'd love to learn as much as possible on this, as I am really excited to dial in these old bikes instead of getting them to run just OK :p

Valve seats should not need to be lapped after they are cut - if they use a Serdi. If they use Neway cutters or stones, that's a different story.

I use a solid chunk of steel and a large hammer and punch but I also have a chain link rivet tool.

Innovate are not so good at answering questions. I think they work in the basis that if you are planning to use an O2 meter, you should already know the answers to your questions.

teazer said:
Valve seats should not need to be lapped after they are cut - if they use a Serdi. If they use Neway cutters or stones, that's a different story.

I use a solid chunk of steel and a large hammer and punch but I also have a chain link rivet tool.

Innovate are not so good at answering questions. I think they work in the basis that if you are planning to use an O2 meter, you should already know the answers to your questions.

Yup, that's exactly the feelings I got. There is hardly any info about tuning motorcycles with their stuff, let alone ANY wideband meters out there. I hope you and I can rectify that a little? Your perspective being that of someone who DOES know what they are talking about...and mine...from some dude in a garage that reads far too much on the internet! ;)

I'll see about the hammer and punch...seems like it might be tougher to do, as it's 90 degrees to me, poking out the top of the engine! I find it odd that they sell master links...yet nothing really to put it back together...they could have sold me another tool right there on the spot! I believe he used stones....all I know is that the valves were not sealing before...and they will now! haha :D

Woohoo! Progress!! I swear I'm working on this...just at a snails pace and taking my time on re-assembly so I don't mess anything up!

Couple of pics of where I'm at. The extra cam chain master links should be here tomorrow since I Hulked the one on there :mad:

And wouldn't you know...I'm out of lube :mad: (insert bad joke here) I mean ENGINE ASSEMBLY LUBE....so the head will wait until tomorrow morning. I can see light at the end of the tunnel!

old to new again! The PO lovingly etched a "4" into the head ..ugh.
69oldtonewagain_zps3b3a99b4.jpg

70reassemblygettingstarted_zpscf9069f2.jpg

On the last picture, the one with the cardboard, you have the old valveseals?
You can not re-use them (well you could... but eeehh) so why did you keep them instead of throwing them away?

Did you polish the top fins? they look mirrors :)

You can probably rivet the link before the cam is fitted and probably before the head goes on, so you should have enough access. Of course if the crank is out, you just do it on the bench and slide the whole thing over the crank.

Bert Jan said:
On the last picture, the one with the cardboard, you have the old valveseals?
You can not re-use them (well you could... but eeehh) so why did you keep them instead of throwing them away?

Did you polish the top fins? they look mirrors :)

Haha, they ARE the old valve seals, I was just keeping my brain straight knowing that I'll need to put one of each thing back in...I have the new seals in the bag in the center of the cardboard ;)

The top fins are just painted. I took my time and painted them correctly (or so I hope) ;D

Teazer, I'll rivet the link before the cam is fitted and before the head goes on like you suggest. This is what I did the first time when I pressed it too hard :mad: Unfortunately the crank is not out, otherwise I would have just left the replacement cam chain riveted and ready to go :'( Thanks for your inputs gentlemen!

And she's all back together! I tried to do the cam chain...and apparently I DO have the attachment that presses and then rivets/dimples it so it's set. Problem is that it was made for a slightly smaller chain...and so I destroyed the two master links I had figuring this out. Man I hate doing stupid things. I measured it up and ground down one of the press plates so that it doesn't CRUSH my chain again! Should be golden next week when the DCC boys send me another master link. I'll make sure to measure from now on, I just assumed the tool they sold would do the trick.

Attachments

• 71reassemblyfinished.jpg
    71reassemblyfinished.jpg
    357.3 KB · Views: 286

While waiting for some more parts...I thought I would get to cleaning up some others. Headlight bucket sanded down and ready for it's new color, cut the really long bars down a little. Much more comfortable while on the bike. Threw another side shot on so I can play around with what to do on the back end. Always liked the look of the brat style seat...I definitely don't want to do the Harley tracker seat, not my particular favorite style. Hope to come up with something soon. I'll take your opinions...haha :D

75headlightwork_zps80af8cf0.jpg

72barshorter_zpsd282ee39.jpg

73barshorter_zps9c312e73.jpg

74sideshot020313_zpsbbe28b71.jpg

Some more work, just before the Super Bowl. Gotta run home now! haha. Fixed the cracked headlight ears, I'll grind them down and make paint stick to them! Sandblasted some of the exhaust bits, and painted the bucket.

76headlightears_zpsb8683845.jpg

77headlightears_zps3d5e3896.jpg

78exhaustclamps_zpsdb7ff911.jpg

79headlightbucketcolor_zps650fc66c.jpg

Finally! Got the cam chain on and feeling good about it. Tomorrow or Sunday I'll wrestle the cam back in, and get the timing situated.

80headinstalled_zps85206eca.jpg

And I changed the angle of the seat a little. My Cafe' brain is having a hard time with this tracker/brat styling ;D I want to keep putting a tail section to house a battery :-\ It will be longer than it is now, I haven't had the space to set up the tubing bender.

81rearhoopangle_zpsaf33c8fd.jpg

Updates. Hell yeah.

Here's a pic of my ugly mug tightening the 10mm bolts holding the cam sprocket to the camshaft.
82camchaininstall_zps5fd31121.jpg

And a couple more...

83camchaininstall_zps3e7ba2dc.jpg

84camchaininstall_zps04e5481e.jpg

85camchaininstall_zps04e9e64d.jpg

And now on to clean up the top cover.

86valvecovercleaning_zps83cc7ba3.jpg

87valvecovercleaning_zps5c72637c.jpg

88valvecovercleaning_zpsa5e6bced.jpg

Valve cover painted. Hopefully the color scheme in my head doesn't make it look crappy. haha.

Attachments

• 90valvecoverpainted.jpg
    90valvecoverpainted.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 284

And here she sits. Top cover and tappet covers are just lightly cleaned up for now. I've got to go through and set all the clearances next.

Attachments

• 93enginebacktogether.jpg
    93enginebacktogether.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 273

Engine's looking great - be careful with that one missing exhaust stud - don't want to strip anything now!

Back
Top Bottom