71' CB500 monoshock with no name...O2 sensor success!

Re: 71' CB500 monoshock with no name.

Tim said:
Engine's looking great - be careful with that one missing exhaust stud - don't want to strip anything now!

Haha, yeah, I've got it laying around here somewhere...it stayed attached to the nut when I tried to pull the exhaust off :mad: I think I'll be getting a couple of new ones anyways. Thanks for reminding me Tim!

deepwaterimports said:
clean as a whistle looking killer dude

Much appreciated man! Hope to throw her in the bike this week, then I get start getting a true feel for her looks/suspension/pegs setup etc.

Just finished up the clutch cover. Polished the center a little, NOT to show polish, just a nice aluminum look ;) We'll see how it looks in the sun and if it needs to change, so be it. Also started fixing up the points cover, as it looks like it has been dropped there before as there are some movement scratches on it. Onward!

94covers_zps3afa132c.jpg

96clutchcoverpainted_zpse1797ab8.jpg

97pointscoverfixing_zps043ee277.jpg

And here we go. Now the designing and changing of things can truly begin. That headlight has to be lower I think. This is my favorite part :)

Attachments

• 98engineinstalltesting.jpg
    98engineinstalltesting.jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 313
  • 99timetostartdesigning.jpg
    99timetostartdesigning.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 300

More movement on the seat area. Had to make it a little less wide, as my tubing bender radius is a little smaller than Honda's width!

Attachments

• 100seat hoop.jpg
    100seat hoop.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 304
  • 101seathoop.jpg
    101seathoop.jpg
    386.2 KB · Views: 340
  • 102seathoop.jpg
    102seathoop.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 298

MJPriceisright said:
looking sharp man, keep those pics rolling in!

Thanks MJPriceisright

I've been staring at all sorts of trackers for seats/subframes that I like and a few stood out. I really dig this but I'm not sure if I can pull off the "higher seat than tank" look, and might not want to in the end, since I'm inseam challenged at 5'7" :p

Attachments

• BMWtracker.jpg
    BMWtracker.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 313

Well here's 3 photos with the bike/camera in the same spot to give an idea of the tank, and where it's at compared to the seat as-is. First one is stock, second is where I think I'm going to put it (if I keep the seat rail the same as it is now) and last is just a much higher version just to see what it's like, but it seems i'd lose damn near 1/6 tank to all the fuel going forward! ;D

Attachments

• 103tankheight.jpg
    103tankheight.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 284
  • 104tankheight.jpg
    104tankheight.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 276
  • 105tankheight.jpg
    105tankheight.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 284

MotorbikeBruno said:
Thanks MJPriceisright

I've been staring at all sorts of trackers for seats/subframes that I like and a few stood out. I really dig this but I'm not sure if I can pull off the "higher seat than tank" look, and might not want to in the end, since I'm inseam challenged at 5'7" :p

that is literally the exact tail id like to run on my xv, do you know what that is? any more info on it?>

MJPriceisright said:
that is literally the exact tail id like to run on my xv, do you know what that is? any more info on it?>

Only that it's for a BMW, and it was featured on pipeburn or bikeexif. Type in BMW tracker and I think it pops up if you hit images (using google) Found it: on pipeburn.

http://pipeburn.com/home/2012/2/12/1974-bmw-r75-krautmotors-street-tracker.html

faaack been looking around cant quite find any info on the tail anywhere.. will have to do further research.

Honestly, it looks like a modified inner fender (sorta) Since it "looks" plastic or at the very least fiberglass.

And adding some bracing. This is just a rough part, the top will be cut so it's flush looking. I had it lower, but looking at the pictures, I think it looks nice about 1" higher than where the first picture is at. I put a bend in it so that it matched the swingarm bracing that is going towards the front. Also the frame has a slight bend there that I feel it ties into well.

Attachments

• 107bracing.jpg
    107bracing.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 254
  • 108bracing.jpg
    108bracing.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 254

Last one for the day, possibly the weekend. Braces put in place, not finish welded, but in there and strong enough to test. Next up are the pipes, and then chain and sprockets to verify the swingarm won't be an issue. ;D

Attachments

• 109bracing.jpg
    109bracing.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 252

And I bought tubes and tires! First time rocking some Kendas....hopefully it turns out well. I'd like to take this machine to some dirt roads and such, so these should do the trick!

https://www.denniskirk.com/kenda/k761-dual-sport-120-80h-18-rear-tire.p643550.prd/643550.sku

https://www.denniskirk.com/kenda/front-or-rear-k761-100-90h-19-tire.p542223.prd/542223.sku

I love the smell of rubber in the afternoon...especially when it's new shoes!

Attachments

• 110newshoes!!.jpg
    110newshoes!!.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 256

Finally got that damn retainer out! These are the original bearings, only a mere 42 years old and they proved that the longer they are in there, the more likely they'll stay there! After that, I got the tire off and sandblasted the darn thing. It might come out OK with a new coat of paint.

Attachments

• 115retainersuccess.jpg
    115retainersuccess.jpg
    511 KB · Views: 238
  • 116sandblastedbeforeafter.jpg
    116sandblastedbeforeafter.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 246

Decided to go a little different. The silver stripe is really only noticeable up close, which I kind of like. It takes some of that chrome shine away from a distance. Haven't started on the front wheel yet.

Rear wheel:

Attachments

• 119done.jpg
    119done.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 243
  • 120done2.jpg
    120done2.jpg
    400.6 KB · Views: 244
Back
Top Bottom