71' CB500 monoshock with no name...O2 sensor success!

Re: 71' CB500 monoshock with no name...but she runs now (vid on page14)

Yeah man, I'm in Athens which isn't to far off and has some great country roads to ride on in between here and there.

haplo_84 said:
Yeah man, I'm in Athens which isn't to far off and has some great country roads to ride on in between here and there.

My buddy that got married rides, so one of these days I'll have to make the Trek. I fear it would take me 40 hrs plus on a bike though, as I did 3.5-4.5hr stints in the car...not that I'm complaining :)

Re: 71' CB500 monoshock with no name...exhaust in the works now.

All right ninjas, finally got some time to work on MY ride! Woohoo! It's exhausting...ha!

Here we go!

First group is of me chopping the stock cans from that hayabusa exhaust. I figured..why let it go to waste?

Attachments

• 183shorty muffler.jpg
    183shorty muffler.jpg
    422.6 KB · Views: 242
  • 185shorty.jpg
    185shorty.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 251
  • 187shortlong.jpg
    187shortlong.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 236

And one side on the bike (haven't started the second side yet)

Attachments

• 188pipeon.jpg
    188pipeon.jpg
    663.3 KB · Views: 240
  • 189pipeonshot.jpg
    189pipeonshot.jpg
    780.1 KB · Views: 257
  • 190pipeonshot.jpg
    190pipeonshot.jpg
    738.5 KB · Views: 250

You gunna wrap/ powder the exhaust, or something like that?

danejurrous said:
You gunna wrap/ powder the exhaust, or something like that?

Yeah, I like to mockup everything before I decide on colors/what to do. I always start thinking I'm going to do something, and change my mind as the bike progresses. There's TONS of finish welding that needs to be done, I'll do that after I ride it around and decide I like it. ;)

Great work so far..that colour suits it..

nixon said:
Great work so far..that colour suits it..

Thanks Nixon. Haven't been able to get to the other muffler yet. Stay tuned gents. 8)

Re: 71' CB500 monoshock with no name...2 mufflers finally!

Well, the second one didn't go as smoothly as the first... :mad: :(

I dropped it too...which solidifies That I have to do some "heat" shields over them since I was thinking of doing that anyways. These bad boys hold their own as they are a little "thick" haha. I dig em. And she's quiet....too quiet... ;) You won't hear me coming unless I hit it! Which actually is kinda nice. Video coming shortly after this, I have to edit and upload it first.

Teaser pic:

EDIT: Here's the video of me just screwing around behind the shop. :)
http://youtu.be/WSg8OCKT_4Q

Attachments

• 191secondpipe.jpg
    191secondpipe.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 240

Sounds great! Like....so.....uh a seat is next right? ;)

canyoncarver said:
Sounds great! Like....so.....uh a seat is next right? ;)

Haha, yeah...I've got to get my head on that. I find that a seat is the hardest thing to do in my opinion, they make or break a bike to me :-\ and I prefer to make it rather than break it ::) ;)

Got 1.5 miles of "almost" street legal driving in! Went to my local Honda shop to say hello to the sales team. Great group there. Just put the original Speedometer on it, as it wasn't on for this run. A few more shake-down runs and waiting for new jets (so I don't have non-professional DRILLED jets in there ;) ) Then final welding, seat needs to be made, and all the "little" things of course. Can't wait to take her off road!

Attachments

• 193testdrivelegal.jpg
    193testdrivelegal.jpg
    746.3 KB · Views: 261
  • 192testdrive.jpg
    192testdrive.jpg
    742.9 KB · Views: 260

I just realized you have the battery strapped just behind the forks. wow, thats pretty inventive....

brewtown16 said:
I just realized you have the battery strapped just behind the forks. wow, thats pretty inventive....

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not. So I'm going to say...Thanks! I found the max travel on the forks/tire and made it so it couldn't hit. Works quite well, and gets cooling. I'll make a little case for it so it doesn't just look like a battery sitting out there, some sort of "cage" around it that looks decent.

Re: 71' CB500 monoshock with no name...seat work and shakedown

All right! I've got power and internet again!

News so far:

Started on the seat pan, foam. And started the shakedown runs. I tuned the bike to the completely open exhaust, and then swapped to the hayabusa headers, thinking the flow might be similar...it is definitely NOT. It's more restrictive than I thought it would be...so I'm running insanely rich now :p Got about 15 miles on her, she wanted to kill at lights, but the top end of the rev range was fun! A bit more tuning and then it's time for finish welding, paint/powdercoat on this thing.

Attachments

• 194seatquick.jpg
    194seatquick.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 249
  • 195seat.jpg
    195seat.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 255
  • 196seat.jpg
    196seat.jpg
    448.3 KB · Views: 249
  • 197seat.jpg
    197seat.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 258
Re: 71' CB500 monoshock with no name...shakedown!

She's at home in the garage. There's another 71'CB500 on the right, and a CB550 further back in the garage ;)

Attachments

• 199seat.jpg
    199seat.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 269
  • 200seat.jpg
    200seat.jpg
    743.9 KB · Views: 261
  • 201seat.jpg
    201seat.jpg
    502.4 KB · Views: 254

What is the deal with the holes and rivets???

Bert Jan said:
What is the deal with the holes and rivets???

Got the idea from another member on here. They are screw rivets. So when I get my seat cover stitched by my wife, I can pull the material tight and screw down (with 8-32 bolts and washer) to capture the material nicely and it lays flat on the bottom. I've tried stapling to wood in the past, gluing, and all sorts of ridiculous methods, one even looked like a corset with laces to hold it together... this seemed very clean and nice. Now if I could just get my wife to finish up my seat cover :) ;)

Re: 71' CB500 monoshock with no name...working on the seat now :)

oeh i'm very curious as i've gone down the same road with all sort of stupid ideas ;)
please update if you get it done! Tell the missus to hurry cause Bert is waiting ;)

Re: 71' CB500 monoshock with no name...working on the seat now :)

Bert Jan said:
oeh i'm very curious as i've gone down the same road with all sort of stupid ideas ;)
please update if you get it done! Tell the missus to hurry cause Bert is waiting ;)

I'll post a link to your post...maybe that will get her on it more quickly ;D ;D Here's the link to where I got the idea from.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=44429.45

Page 4 has their amazing work.

Back
Top Bottom