71' CB500 monoshock with no name...O2 sensor success!

Re: 71' CB500 monoshock with no name...working on the seat now :)

You can just use the holes and rivets. I have doe 3-4 that way. The srews are neat but won't they be hard to stretch poke hole then thread? With the regular rivets, I stretch Material, hold with one hand or use a clamp then poke a hole with an awl or ice pick right in hole, instert rivet, pop and move on.

Maritime said:
You can just use the holes and rivets. I have doe 3-4 that way. The srews are neat but won't they be hard to stretch poke hole then thread? With the regular rivets, I stretch Material, hold with one hand or use a clamp then poke a hole with an awl or ice pick right in hole, instert rivet, pop and move on.

Yeah, You are probably right. We'll see how it goes :) For some reason my brain said it should be "removable" or re-stretchable if needed..I suppose if you do it right the first time, that's not necessary ;)

True but you can drill rivets out without messing up the pan or the fabric if you use aluminum rivets. Either way it should work. I would just maybe have a second set of hands to do the hole and the screw while the other is holding the fabric stretched.

Maritime said:
True but you can drill rivets out without messing up the pan or the fabric if you use aluminum rivets. Either way it should work. I would just maybe have a second set of hands to do the hole and the screw while the other is holding the fabric stretched.

Indeed. I'll make sure I keep that in mind while doing it. I'm waiting on my wife to help me out with the sewing part, my stuff sucks. She happens to be almost 5 months pregnant...so she wins a lot more than I do! haha.

We started on the seat...it's been a PITA since I got the wrong foam...and she doesn't have an industrial stitching machine....more to come on that...but I've been tuning/riding it a little bit more as we go. Picture shows 29 miles, but I'm up to 36! haha. I also painted the rear pipes black for now....less rusting that way :) Next up, a rear fender/hugger thing because I think there needs to be a small splash of "color" in the back!

Attachments

• 202.jpg
    202.jpg
    537.7 KB · Views: 257
  • 203.jpg
    203.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 250

Messed up the first seat...my bad...so I'm going to attempt seat #2 tonight. My wife is out of town so hopefully I don't destroy her sewing machine.. :)

And a few updates, pipes black for now, and a little fender added. Front fender in the works next.

Attachments

• 204.jpg
    204.jpg
    664.4 KB · Views: 250

Bert Jan said:
seats are tough. keep at it!

I broke down today and started looking for an industrial sewing machine. I'll make this seat if it kills me! On a side note, there's some killer old singer industrial machines out there...they have clutches and everything..I'm pretty stoked to add another machine to my garage.. :)

AND UPDATED: Old singer industrial machine with table and clutch. Sorry about my ugly mug/ridiculous grin in this shot...ha!

Attachments

• 205.jpg
    205.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 241
  • 206.jpg
    206.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 246

Bike is looking good, the rear fender ties it all in nicely.

Thanks Danejurrous, I appreciate it. I felt it needed a little color in the back! I'm going to whip up a front fender next when I get some time. Also, the bike is not charging correctly :( and since I have a brand new Reg/rec...I'm going to assume it's the stator bits. Ugh. Good thing I've got 2 parts cb500/550's in the garage :)

Will keep you guys updated on the seat Bert! I'll see if I can persuade the wife to help me this evening! ::) ;) ;D

Not loading correctly? What are the symtoms? Dont want to brag but i know a lot about that on 500/550's

Bert Jan said:
Not loading correctly? What are the symtoms? Dont want to brag but i know a lot about that on 500/550's

Hey I'll take all I can get! Honestly I am unsure of the exact issue, as it just seems to slowly drain the battery to death. My tail lights are LED's, I've got no other "lights" other than the stock headlight ???

I'll be able to drive it 30 miles or so and then it starts cutting spark is what it seems. I reach up, shut the headlight off and she runs "fine" although the battery is down to 8-10 volts at that point. I haven't even started to look at testing the stator or anything, haven't found the time. I think I'll start there as I have a new Reg/Rec, and it's hooked up properly.

Time is getting scarce, my first child is 15 weeks away so my wife has me doing tons of stuff....BUT an update there is!

Figured out how to thread the bobbin, and the needle, and finally my new presser feet came in..er..roller feet! Fit for making a seat I think!

So now my excuses have dwindled to: Bruno get the damn seat done you slow ass, nothing is stopping you. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Attachments

• 207.jpg
    207.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 259

So...my sewing machine hates me right now. Broke 2 needles and need to figure out how THAT machine works now..haha oh well.

So in the meantime. Playing with needle heights to see what might cure my slight hesitation in the middle rev range. Then I decided to get a front fender going! So far 60 miles on the beast! And I got a headlight switch in there...that stock light draws tons of power :(

Bruno

Attachments

• 212.jpg
    212.jpg
    552.3 KB · Views: 271
  • 210.jpg
    210.jpg
    512.5 KB · Views: 262
  • 209.jpg
    209.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 281
  • 208.jpg
    208.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 259
Re: 71' CB500 monoshock with no name...Fenders finished

Painted the fender and got it back on. Not bad ;D

Attachments

• 213.jpg
    213.jpg
    574.2 KB · Views: 267
  • 214.jpg
    214.jpg
    621.8 KB · Views: 261

Almost there man - and it's looking good.

Rich Ard said:
Almost there man - and it's looking good.

Thanks man! Then all I have to do is completely tear it back down again to finish weld and powder the frame etc... :) haha. Gotta love projects eh?

Back
Top Bottom