Mini speedometer issues

k.graham

Hey Everyone,

I’m having trouble diagnosing an issue I’m having with a mini speedometer I’ve put on my bike. The needle was bouncing around by a margin of about 20km/hr at speeds anywhere near or over 100km/h. A quick google search indicated that the most likely culprit would be a problem with the speedometer drive, or the speedometer cable could need to be re-greased, or replaced. Luckily I had an extra speedometer drive kicking around from a different bike, so I swapped that out, and still had the same issue. I cleaned and inspected the cable, ensuring there were no frays, or nicks that would hang up inside the sleeve. Everything looked fine. Oiled the cable up before running it back together and routing a slightly better route to make a gentle “s bend” from speedo to wheel. Still bounces... checked the speedometer with a corded drill and ran the needle up to 120km/h using the same cable and sleeve... no bounce with the drill. I pulled the cable cleaned and greased with red grease, and that seemed to help take some of the bounce out of it, but now under acceleration the needle winds way past the actual speed I’m moving. I’ll hit the highway and start rolling through the gears and the speedo will shoot up to 140 or 160 while I’m accelerating through what would likely be the 80-100 range. Anyone have any thoughts on what the real issue may be here? Is it possible there is just too much vibration for the little gauge under acceleration? It is currently fixed through the bracket to one of my handlebar mount bolts, so it doesn’t really have any cushion to damper any vibration that comes from the bike. I should mention this is the second speedo I’ve bought and had the same problem. I don’t think it’s the speedo that’s the issue, as both have me the same behaviour, and both tested just fine using the drill, and read the same speed at max rpm with the drill.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

If its a cheap little thing it might not have any decent internal damping, not very good for road use.

Back
Top Bottom