cam chain wear marks on cl360 cylinder head

hillset

Hi Everyone,
I'm in the process of doing a top end rebuild on my 1974 cl360. I was taking the valves out today and I noticed these wear marks on the cylinder head. It looks like the cam chain wasn't properly installed at one point and has worn down part of the cylinder head. The part that really concerns me is there is a metal spur sticking out of the top of the cylinder head, it looks like the cam chain basically ground the inside of the cylinder head and pulled this part of the head up with it.

What should I do with this? I'm not sure if I should take it to a local machine shop and see if they can grind down the spur so it sits flush on the cylinder when I reinstall, or if I should just get a new cylinder head off ebay? I can send more pictures of the rebuild if that would help. Before I tore the engine down, I was getting good compression (~170psi) on each cylinder.

Thanks for your help everyone, I really appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_5504 copy.jpg
    IMG_5504 copy.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 174
  • IMG_5506 copy.jpg
    IMG_5506 copy.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 169
  • IMG_5505 copy.jpg
    IMG_5505 copy.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 166
i would file the burr off and call it good. No reason to deck the head unless its warped or you want to increase compression.

+1

A simple hand file will take that off in no time. maybe try a chainsaw sharpening file. They are round and perfect for that sort of thing. You could also use an flat file if you have one.

Thanks for your help everyone. I'll plan on just hand filing off the burrs until it's smooth. Definitely glad I don't need to get a new cylinder head!

Back
Top Bottom