Hi From Australia CB350

Once again thanks for all the kudos re the finished bike and thanks to all who have commented here. Much appreciated and very flattered to win BOTM!

A quick little update. No pics I'm afraid. After Christmas I went for a great ride to one of the local Sydney beaches for breakfast and coffee. During this ride a huge oil leak developed which I had a little trouble tracing the source of however it seemed to be coming from up around the head somewhere maybe between the head and the cam box. Anyway, I thought I'll just get home and sort it out then. On the way home, two things happened. First is that while accelerating hard up a steep hill the crankcase breather tube blew out of the breather bottle that I had made for it to vent into. Second, I ran out of petrol!! Luckily I was only 400m from home so I managed to get home without too much trouble.

Family holidays meant I didn't get a chance to look into the problems until last week. First I cleaned all the oil off the outside of the engine and started the bike up again and revved it pretty hard but couldn't find any source of a leak. So I was at a bit of a loss to explain why it had leaked so much on my ride. Then I remembered the breather tube that had blown out of the collector bottle. I figured that the tube would only blow out if it was under a lot of pressure and it would only be under pressure if the bottle itself was not venting to atmosphere. If the bottle was not venting to atmospheric pressure then the increased pressure in the crankcase may be causing the oil leak. So I disconnected the vent tube from the engine and blew into it by mouth with the distal end still inserted into the breather bottle. I couldn't blow into the bottle because there was an airtight seal where the tube went into the bottle. This meant that the crankcase, vent tube and breather bottle were all one enclosed, confined space with no venting to atmosphere. When I had installed the breather bottle, I had drilled the top of the bottle out to accept the breather tube. By pure chance I drilled the hole just large enough to accept the breather tube but not large enough to allow any leak around it. This meant that when accelerating hard the crankcase pressure was building up high enough to force oil out, probably around gaskets.

It was an easy fix...just drilled a few holes in the plastic collector bottle and filled the bottle with some sponge to soak up the oil mist. Problem solved! No engine pull down required. Who would have thought such an innocent thing could cause such a big problem?? Lesson learned...the crankcase breather does actually need to be vented to atmosphere!!!

Small things can cause disproportional panic!

However, it presented an opportunity for the first use of distal on DTT.

Crazy

WOW! final thing look amazing! I really like the scrambler look with those shorty mufflers. Did those mufflers have a specific name or could you give me an idea where you found them?

Thanks and again, Great job!

Hi DRTP

Thanks for the compliments! The mufflers are reverse cone shortys from Dime City. Find them here

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-exhaust-parts-stainless-steel-reverse-cone-shorty-motorcycle-muffler-80-1750.html

Well ducatiboy, the banner has changed. It was good to see your bike up there, a well deserved win.

Maybe it won't be the last bike from Glebe to feature.

Crazy

Just got the message ducatiboy - if you mean the weekend of 23-24 I'm up for it!

Send me a PM if you like, for the time and venue.

Crazy

Hi, Ive just finished reading your amazing post. It is a path to perfection that I can tread; secure in the knowledge that one greater than I has gone before, OK brown nosing over :-X on to business.
Im starting a Guzzi Nevada to Cafe Racer project and need some advice.
The wheels on the Nevada go round and round are 16" at the back and 18"!? at the front. Not a good look for a Racer. Id like to thread a new rim at the front or back in an appropriate size to balance things up.
Who do you know could supply me with a rim? Im in Western Australia.
Cheers
Steve

Hi Hybrid

Thanks for your message. Before doing alterations to the geometry of your bike, have a clear idea of what those alterations are going to do to the way it handles. I do not have any specific knowledge of your model bike but as a general rule, it's not a good idea to change rim size just for the sake of looks.

Things to consider when increasing front rim diameter are that it will raise the front of the bike, increase steering head angle, alter trail, slow the steering, increase centripetal force of the spinning wheel altering it's responsiveness to steering input, may make it difficult to fit the front mudguard and may make the side stand too short to be functional. Nothing is impossible but remember that invariably changing one thing leads to necessary changes in several others, sometimes predictably, sometimes not! Easy way is to find someone who's already done it!!

I got my rims from Ash's Spoked Wheels in Brisbane. They weren't cheap but I can vouch for their quality. Talk to them, tell them what you want to do and they should be able to help.

Good luck

Thanks Ducatiboy, Ive spoken to Ash on the phone and he advises changing the rear to 18" if I want to use Dunlop TT100 tyres. They only come in 18" and 19".
The front is TOO big. Thats the issue it's 18".
If the rear change is not practical; (It may not work as the suspension travel may not be enough and or the wheel may interfere with the fork of rear wheel frame) I can either go to a 17" rear or make the front wheel a 16" or 17" and forget the Dunlops.
A 16” wheel at the front lowers the whole bike to suit my short legs. So “Als Gut ende gut”.
This old model Nevada has 16" rear and 18" front. The later models used a 17" at the rear. The frame is common to all the Nevada, V7, Breva 750 and Cafe Racer Specials. They all have the same frame and geometry is changed using fork length and wheel size.
The accoutremant also help to guide the eye and create the impression of curves in the frame that are not really there.

Sorry I'd misread your post! I was thinking you had 16" front wheel and were going to go to 18". Changing rear wheel size has a potential for real problems!!! As you have mentioned having sufficient clearance between the top of the tyre and the underside of the rear seat and clearance between the front of the tyre and the swing arm. If the later models had 17" with same frame and swing arm then I guess fitting 17" is not going to be a problem Final drive gearing will also be altered with a bigger rear wheel. I presume the Guzzi is shaft drive? Shouldn't affect fitting the 18" rim but may be a pain to alter final drive gearing.

Having odd size wheels always makes the tyre selection difficult but not usually impossible

Hi Nate

On the page before this:

The mufflers are reverse cone shortys from Dime City. Find them here

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-exhaust-parts-stainless-steel-reverse-cone-shorty-motorcycle-muffler-80-1750.html

They are loud...

Ducatiboy your shortie design on the scrambler pipes is super cool. My dad and I are thinking of doing that on our 175 pipes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 344
Hey man, the bike turned out great!!!!! wow! congrats, to think what she looked like to now, epic! 8)

glad the oil problem was an easy enough fix. I had the same problem with mine. Maiden voyage, stop for gas, oil everywhere on the head and jugs, the same places it came out before i split the motor to fix. was so upset, especially all the work i had done to get her sorted. I was dreading to have to reopen the motor :( turns out, after i calmed down, that the tachometer drive in the tappet cover, the "delete plate" i had made, id never torqued it down, so oil pressure built up and pissed oil out from the hole. The oil spread all over the motor giving me the illusion that it was coming from the normal places the CB's leak from. I was so relieved! phew! hahahaha, the small things in those situation get overlooked more than we think ;D

aaanyway, hows the bike running now? any updates?

What a great clean build! I've had your bike as my computer wallpaper for a couple months now to keep me motivated on my cl350 project bike...

It looks like you're running the stock cv carbs with air pod filters; I'm planning to do the same thing. Were you able to tune it in through the entire RPM range? Did you keep the carb jets stock? Also, are you having good luck with your air pod filters, if so, what kind did you end up buying?

Thanks in advance for your help; and again, great bike.

Back
Top Bottom